The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

All That Winning Options
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 3:51:45 PM

Neurons: 52,392
Obama managed to box in and economically strangle both Russia and Iran without ever firing a shot.

Trump has singlehandedly undone all of that; resuscitated their influence; and endangered American interests in return for absolutely nothing, except that
Trump's got his headlines moved from impeachment: Three thousand troops to middle east - is the US at war with Iran without telling Congress, allies, or UN?

Prez + military. Where have we heard about that before?

The man killed was a monster, but the consequences of the strike will play out for years - we hope.

https://www.newsandguts.com/link/nbc-news-u-s-to-send-3000-troops-to-middle-east-after-embassy-attack-soleimani-killing/?fbclid=IwAR2I1Cc4tStZRzxw5AQc8oXp1G2C-cOQFvcA75H1_kfw6yzg91ufcsw3u4M

All the big tough guys who never served a day in the military, or had a job that would never see combat - Lindsey Graham, Mitch McConnell, and Trump family are the ones beating the war drum loudest.

Trump's tweets from 2013 have not aged well. The only thing he is consistent about is his name calling and bullying.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Be prepared, there is a small chance that our horrendous leadership could unknowingly lead us into World War III.
5:46 AM · Aug 31, 2013·Twitter for Android

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· Aug 30, 2013
The President must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!

Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 7:18:42 PM

Neurons: 1,063,857
TRUMP 2020!
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 8:19:55 PM

Don't know how this got double posted. Maybe because it is important.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 8:22:13 PM

To my fellow Canadians. Just in case you didn't know or you have forgotten we do have 800 Canadian troops in the line of fire. From what I have been told, "they" are now trying to get them out safely so as to not draw attention.

Canada was NOT informed about the impending attack. Typical Trump WH. Cares for nobody but himself.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 8:27:59 PM

President Trump said his decision to kill Major-General Qassem Soleimani, one of the most powerful men in Iran, was not meant as a provocation.

Yeah, right, it was only the equivalent of killing Pence.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 9:24:20 PM

The federal government in Canada is telling Canadians in Iraq to consider leaving the country in the wake of the killing of a top Iranian general - CBC Canada
Romany
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 9:59:17 PM

Neurons: 54,579

Well he's been and gone and done it now, hasn't he? Farewell, America.

But what I wanted to do was inject a nice, warm piece of international news from your continent: and a heartfelt thanks to you Canadians! Bless your little cotton socks!

Despite the fact that it might become moot if the whole bloody world goes up in smoke...the Australian bushfires are the worst ecological, economic, societal, farming, disaster, ever. No bushfires have ever been recorded at this level before: makes all previous fires - Californian, Amazon - look like campfires.

The army, firefighters, ambos (ambulance services), police, are all stretched to exhaustion and there are currently 47,000 volunteers deployed right alongside them. Because the entire world is turning its head away. No-one is helping them try to contain a firefront that's longer than some small countries......except...once more....the Canadians!!

On behalf of all the people I know who are out there fighting what is seeming like a losing battle...of those who have lost everything, the thousands of wild and endangered animals, the stock, the crops; and infrastructure and towns and beloved pets; and lost habitats and species....I, personally want to say Thank You to Canada. Again. Through two world wars, through droughts and floods and sudden crises, you guys are always there almost as soon as the news goes out.

On a day when all the dogs of war have been let loose its comforting to know that there's still one ally that the world has confidence in. Good on the whole bloody lot of you!! Or, in Oz-speak "Ya little beauties!"
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 12:15:22 PM

Romany, if my body still made tears they would have been there along with the lump in my throat. Thank you!

I knew Canada was there but assumed others were too.

My husband has a cousin in Australia he communicates with on Facebook. We are watching carefully every day. The fires are horrendous indeed.

And yes, we still think Canada is one of the best countries. I am grateful to be Canadian every day.

Edited to add - one positive thing this mess in the world has done for me - we have bever been "flag wavers" but I now really appreciate what I always took for granted about my country.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 8:32:56 PM

Romany if it is ok with you I would like to copy and give your above post to our cousin in Australia on FB. She would really appreciate that.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 11:16:50 PM

Romany
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 7:43:04 AM

Hope - yes of course you can. You can tell her too that I've constantly been posting on Twitter and raising awareness there.

But most of all - it's not 47,000 ordinary citizens (not all even ARE citizens yet) but 70,000 who are laying their lives on the line and some are already dead.

That's what makes me so irate, I think. Aussies have got to be the most "interactive" citizens anywhere. If something needs doing for the country, they do it: fighting floods, bushfires, droughts and all kinds of emergencies - hearing there's a need for action, ordinary people think nothing of jumping in their cars and driving thousands of miles in some cases, to go and help out.

So it's not as if, as their country dies, they're sitting there wringing their hands and demanding someone comes and bails them out. But they are doing everything such an enormous and sparsely populated country can do on their own - and it just isn't enough.

It would seem, too, that the actual geographical structure of Australia is not understood either. When you look at a map, the entire area that is now dead and dying is the East and part of the Southern coasts and inland North Qld. That is the area that FEEDS the rest of Australia. The crops, the orchards, the sheep and cattle are all concentrated in those areas because most of Oz is a barren waste where there's not enough water or feed for livestock, or to grow crops.

It's all gone. So, even when - and if - the fires are ever brought under control, there's going to be food shortages across the entire country - not just the East Coast. Thousands of homeless, "refugees" - no homes,no possessions, no jobs, no income. And a landscape which has now changed completely: instead of the protective mountains and rainforests which protect NSW and Victorian farmland and hundreds of small towns there's an arid wasteland where once protective vegetation provided an ecological system which nature had formed thousands of years ago to provide these conditions.

If no-one except the Canadians (and now, 24 Americans) are going to help, Australians are, totally, fucked. It makes me want to weep.

What a piece of work is Man.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:43:33 AM

Neurons: 65,448
And now for a bit of good news.

In an article by The Los Angeles Times we read that

U.S. sends more than 100 firefighters to help Australia battle flames

the federal government is sending U.S. firefighters — including some from California — to help combat Australia’s wildfires, which have burned about 12.35 million acres of land and killed at least 17 people.

According to the National Interagency Fire Center — the government agency that is coordinating the deployment of firefighters from the U.S. — roughly 100 firefighters have been been sent to Australia over the last four weeks, with 50 to 60 more planned to be dispatched Monday. At least sixteen of those firefighters have been sent from California, where fires scorched thousands of acres across the state throughout the fall.

Canada is also sending firefighters to Australia for the first time. Stephen Tulle, duty officer with the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Center, told CBC that a group of about 36 is assisting."

The article goes on to say:

Once those firefighters were vetted and cleared to travel internationally, groups began 30-day deployments on Dec. 5. The second group left Dec. 19 and a third left Monday. A fourth group will leave Saturday, and another this Monday. The firefighters who volunteered for the assignment are on paid status earning their normal salary, fire center public affairs officer Kari Cobb said.
It's unfortunate but true that these firefighters will have to spend the Christmas holidays away from their families, but are willing to do so to help out those who are suffering from the devastation.

Firefighting techniques vary in each state. Scott McLean, spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, said that firefighters dispatched to Australia would need “orientation and operational training prior to going out on the line.”

The exchange of fire resources is made through an agreement between the U.S. Department of the Interior and Emergency Management Australia.

“It works really well because Australia has a different fire season than we do in the United States,” Cobb said.

In August 2018, Australia and New Zealand sent roughly 140 firefighters to the U.S. for nearly 30 days. Cobb said that the group was stationed in Northern California, Washington and Oregon.

At least 17 people have died and roughly 1,400 homes have been destroyed since the fires started in Australia. On Tuesday morning, 4,000 people in the coastal town of Mallacoota fled to the shore as winds pushed flames toward their homes.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Scott Morrison was confronted with criticism and jeers during a visit to Cobargo from residents who believe that too little is being done to mitigate a destruction that prompted New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian to declare a seven-day state of emergency, granting fire officials more authority. It’s the third state of emergency for New South Wales in the last two months.

Edit: I almost forgot to add that Gizmodo has a page listing various charities one can contribute to in order to help Australia with this problem.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/01/how-to-donate-bush-fire/

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 1:41:43 PM

Good. Glad US is helping. I had assumed other countries would be sending firefighters besides Canada. Canada has sent more firefighters now and some that went in December have returned home.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoban-firefighters-australia-1.5414815

Australia helped during Canada's BC fires - helping in times of crisis is what good neighbours do. Shows that humans have not completely gone to hell in a hand basket.

Good idea to donate!
Romany
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 3:14:22 PM

Yes, I'm also glad that there's some physical help being received.And I know people are unbelievably grateful to every single person who arrives to help.

But the donation thing is also a desperate need right now. I'm sure if any of you have seen the horrific scenes of animals slowly catching fire, or going up in sheets of flame, or staggering out of the bush in terrible pain will feel less helpless if they can spare any donation to ease, euthanise, repatriate or care for them. 480 MILLION creatures have been killed, and entire species have disappeared forever - along with their habitats. The whole balance of nature in Australia has been overturned and the ecological disaster loss of habitat will have AFTER the fires is inconceivable.

My heart is so heavy now I hardly know how to express my feelings: an entire, enormous country just decimated! Extinctions of whole species, changes in weather patterns, so many people I know in deep trouble and despair...it's like some Doomsday Prophesy-type story or film.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 5:40:17 PM