The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Alien Interview" Book by Lawrence R. Spencer Options
ROBODUCK
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 7:55:52 AM

Neurons: 5,072
Has anyone read "Alien Interview" book by Lawrence Spencer? I found it quite shocking, to say the least!
According to this book, we're all immortal spiritual beings; the body dies but the spirit lives on and
can never die. I direct myself to the meaning and true value of things, seeking the truth about life after
death, even speculating on the possibility of knowing anything at all of the afterlives where myths and beliefs
find their final answers.
Any comments out there??
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 10:59:41 AM

Neurons: 65,448
ROBODUCK wrote:
Has anyone read "Alien Interview" book by Lawrence Spencer? I found it quite shocking, to say the least!
According to this book, we're all immortal spiritual beings; the body dies but the spirit lives on and
can never die. I direct myself to the meaning and true value of things, seeking the truth about life after
death, even speculating on the possibility of knowing anything at all of the afterlives where myths and beliefs
find their final answers.
Any comments out there??

No, I haven't read that book, but there are many that have dealt with that topic.

Quite simply, it's your choice. You choose what you want to believe about life after death. Humans have had to make that choice since we were able to conceive of such a thing, but we have absolutely no evidence beyond our desire to believe. All the religions of the world speak to a life after death, but still there is no evidence. Again, it's your choice what you want to believe, and what you are comfortable with believing.
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:45:01 AM

Neurons: 165,966
The notion of there being an afterlife is probably as old as the species itself and most likely in concurrent with the first burial of the dead behaviors early in the homo line. Tens upon tens of thousands of years later we have very elaborate notions of the what, where, and why of an imagined afterlife; however, if you want to come to an informed conclusion regarding the human behavior of believing in an afterlife of any kind, you must start at the beginning.

Julian Jaynes in his book "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" provides an overview of the earliest known examples of the behavior. His conclusions are of course slanted to support his own hypothesis on the origin of consciousness; however, apart from that, it is a fairly quick introduction to the matter. I do not think Jaynes' hypothesis regarding consciousness is correct but there is much of merit in his book particularly the first third. I think you would find it fascinating and that link goes to a free pdf file of the entire book.

At the end of the very first paragraph of his book, Jaynes poses three questions regarding consciousness:
What is it?
Where did it come from?
And why?
Rigorously and as objectively as possible asking and answering these three questions is, in my opinion, critical to having actual, trustable knowledge of any phenomenon. So that is where I would suggest you start regarding the belief in an afterlife, setting aside all of the stories humans have come up with based on an assumption that was not questioned for eons.

People who believe in an afterlife, as I once did, assume that forsaking that notion will be an everlasting disappointment but, I have not found that to be the case. Actually once I came to the conclusion that there was no reasonable basis for believing it I found I was not that disappointed after all. If anything knowing that I will someday no longer exist gave me a much greater appreciation for the life I have.