The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Recipe for Preserving Children Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:03:10 PM

Neurons: 699,768
Somewhere in the world it’s spring, fall and possibly warm...but not as cold as it feels in The Bronx, NY (31°) where I am now! ha ha ha
So, naturally I thought of this beautiful recipe and I wanted to share it with my TFD friends...as I electronically work indoors today! Brrrrrrrrr......

Recipe for Preserving Children

INGREDIENTS:
Take one grassy field
1/2 dozen children (or as many as you have)
3 small dogs
a pinch of a brook
some pebbles

Mix the children and dogs well together and put them in the field, stirring constantly.
Pour the brook over the pebbles. Sprinkle the field with flowers, spread over all a deep blue sky, and bake in a hot sun.
When brown, remove the children and set away to cool in a bathtub.

Source: "The Darling Dahlias and the Eleven O'Clock Lady" by Susan Wittig Albert (A favorite author)

hedy mmm

KADIKA
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 9:02:48 PM

Neurons: 978,830
Dancing
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 9:21:25 PM

Hi KADIKA,
Welcome to the TFD forum! Dancing
...and thanks! Applause

hedy mmm

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 2:12:31 PM

Neurons: 11,633
hedy mmm wrote:
Somewhere in the world it’s spring, fall and possibly warm...but not as cold as it feels in The Bronx, NY (31°) where I am now! ha ha ha
So, naturally I thought of this beautiful recipe and I wanted to share it with my TFD friends...as I electronically work indoors today! Brrrrrrrrr......

Recipe for Preserving Children

INGREDIENTS:
Take one grassy field
1/2 dozen children (or as many as you have)
3 small dogs
a pinch of a brook
some pebbles

Mix the children and dogs well together and put them in the field, stirring constantly.
Pour the brook over the pebbles. Sprinkle the field with flowers, spread over all a deep blue sky, and bake in a hot sun.
When brown, remove the children and set away to cool in a bathtub.

Source: "The Darling Dahlias and the Eleven O'Clock Lady" by Susan Wittig Albert (A favorite author)

hedy mmm

It’s a good recipe but the small dogs should be to taste.
Growing up in a family with members that were phobic about them “yappy, snarling, little beasts” following an incident with a feral dog biting them whilst a toddler not everyone appreciates them.
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 7:06:39 PM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Growing up in a family with members that were phobic about them “yappy, snarling, little beasts” following an incident with a feral dog biting them whilst a toddler not everyone appreciates them.

——
I love your response Sarrriesfan! Truth be told that on any recipe you can omit or substitute an ingredient.... for instance, I hate cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, so I make sure I use none of the above when I make pies and yet my pies are scrumptious...so we could leave the dogs out like the song says “who let the dogs out?”, we’ll just change one word!

I didn’t have similar experience growing up...we always had dogs, Pit Bulls, Norwegian Elk Hound, always big dogs...they were all very protective, especially of my son, and grandson... when my grandson was 3, he use to ride on his dog Mason’s back ....that’s how big Mason was, he could yank his ears and tail...the dog 🐕 wouldn’t even bark ...you’re right, little dogs are snarley yappers... I guess they have to make up for what they lack in size. Through the years our dogs have gone to that big fire hydrant in the sky ...right now my son has a Dogo Argentino, blood-white, who’ll grow to 100lbs...Zeus, now 2 yrs old, is beautiful, fearless, strong, lovable, loyal, doesn’t need to bark..his bark would instill fear in any dog or bad guy that would dare to bully ...you don’t need a house alarm! ...Yet Zeus greets the Mailman, UPS, Fedex, ConEd, Sanitation...with wagging tail and dog kisses...they love him ...they even bring him treats on their routes!

But I can understand very well why, after a feral dog bite, why anyone would be apprehensive of having a dog around...Certain breeds are not good with children, one should do their homework before getting a dog.

So I’ll change my recipe, instead of 3 small dogs, how about a “Zeus” to keep those toddlers safe & secure...even in the bathtub!

Have a blessed weekend!
hedy mmm

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 2:26:06 AM

[image not available]

[image not available]
hedy mmm wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:

——
I love your response Sarrriesfan! Truth be told that on any recipe you can omit or substitute an ingredient.... for instance, I hate cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, so I make sure I use none of the above when I make pies and yet my pies are scrumptious...so we could leave the dogs out like the song says “who let the dogs out?”, we’ll just change one word!

I didn’t have similar experience growing up...we always had dogs, Pit Bulls, Norwegian Elk Hound, always big dogs...they were all very protective, especially of my son, and grandson... when my grandson was 3, he use to ride on his dog Mason’s back ....that’s how big Mason was, he could yank his ears and tail...the dog 🐕 wouldn’t even bark ...you’re right, little dogs are snarley yappers... I guess they have to make up for what they lack in size. Through the years our dogs have gone to that big fire hydrant in the sky ...right now my son has a Dogo Argentino, blood-white, who’ll grow to 100lbs...Zeus, now 2 yrs old, is beautiful, fearless, strong, lovable, loyal, doesn’t need to bark..his bark would instill fear in any dog or bad guy that would dare to bully ...you don’t need a house alarm! ...Yet Zeus greets the Mailman, UPS, Fedex, ConEd, Sanitation...with wagging tail and dog kisses...they love him ...they even bring him treats on their routes!

But I can understand very well why, after a feral dog bite, why anyone would be apprehensive of having a dog around...Certain breeds are not good with children, one should do their homework before getting a dog.

So I’ll change my recipe, instead of 3 small dogs, how about a “Zeus” to keep those toddlers safe & secure...even in the bathtub!

Have a blessed weekend!
hedy mmm

Even worse in Js case, they are nervous around any dog.
But the rest sounds lovely and reminds me of my childhood, growing up in a street with my brothers and several other children, playing football in the street, kerbies, tennis or walking up Cannon Lane to the Common. We would play soldiers in the wood and common ironically using WW2 air raid shelters as cover, cops and robber, cowboys and Indians climb trees, play chase etc. 12-15 of us running around having fun.

Stopsley Common.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 6:08:45 AM

Neurons: 219,930
hedy mmm wrote:
for instance, I hate cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, so I make sure I use none of the above

But . . . but . . . that's what little girls are made of!

[image not available]
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 6:16:47 AM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Stopsley Common.

When I was seven or eight, for me it was Boggart Hole Clough with my brother and a bunch of other kids - only a mile or so from home.
Great fun - we didn't know the history of the place at the time.

FounDit
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 10:22:10 AM

Neurons: 65,653
For me at 7 or 8 years old, it was the Appalachian woods, where I roamed, usually alone, drank from the springs and ate fruit off the trees and vines.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 1:31:29 PM

Both look wonderful places to play in.

Just another thought about dogs perhaps I am also a little bias because of local legend.
Nearby Galley Hill is said to be haunted by a Black Dog.
https://ztevetevans.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/british-folklore-legends-of-the-black-dog/
Quote:
The Black Dog of Galley Hill, Luton

In ancient times Galley Hill was home to a hill fort and barrow. Later in 16th-and 17th century it became a place of execution and a gallows was erected.

Galley Hill is a highly visible landmark where witches and criminals were executed there and their bodies covered in tar to preserve them. They were then left to hang on the gallows which stood high on the hill as a warning to others before being eventually buried.

It is reported that one night the hill was hit by a ferocious storm. The gallows were struck by lightning setting it and the ground around it on fire. In the flames a Black Dog was said to have been seen howling and capering wildly. People believe that the beast comes for the souls of criminals and witches driving them through the Gates of Hell for Satan.

We also used to walk with a bit of iron in our pocket, a nail least the fairies get you.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 5:06:20 AM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Both look wonderful places to play in.

Just another thought about dogs perhaps I am also a little bias because of local legend.
Nearby Galley Hill is said to be haunted by a Black Dog.
https://ztevetevans.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/british-folklore-legends-of-the-black-dog/
Quote:
The Black Dog of Galley Hill, Luton

In ancient times Galley Hill was home to a hill fort and barrow. Later in 16th-and 17th century it became a place of execution and a gallows was erected.

Galley Hill is a highly visible landmark where witches and criminals were executed there and their bodies covered in tar to preserve them. They were then left to hang on the gallows which stood high on the hill as a warning to others before being eventually buried.

It is reported that one night the hill was hit by a ferocious storm. The gallows were struck by lightning setting it and the ground around it on fire. In the flames a Black Dog was said to have been seen howling and capering wildly. People believe that the beast comes for the souls of criminals and witches driving them through the Gates of Hell for Satan.

We also used to walk with a bit of iron in our pocket, a nail least the fairies get you.

Lest the fairies get you, is what I meant to type.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 10:47:03 AM

The tales we had were just about the Boggart - they're not really evil, but could be mischievous or spiteful at times, if crossed.

The Black Dog is all over Britain - Cŵn Annwn, The Gwyllgi, The Moddey Dhoo - Even the hound of the Baskervilles! I didn't know of one near Luton.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 11:13:37 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The tales we had were just about the Boggart - they're not really evil, but could be mischievous or spiteful at times, if crossed.

The Black Dog is all over Britain - Cŵn Annwn, The Gwyllgi, The Moddey Dhoo - Even the hound of the Baskervilles! I didn't know of one near Luton.

Yes there are a few Shuck is another name for them used in East Anglia.

Tring in Hertfordshire and Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire both fairly close to me also have Black Dog legends.
narkom12
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:48:51 AM

Neurons: 1,230

Could you please explain what does Eleven O'Clock Lady mean?

Thanks.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:40:20 AM

Neurons: 54,749
No. We can't tell you what an "11 o-clock lady" is. It's a made-up phrase.

This is a deliberate and very familiar way to get a person's interest and make them want to read the story. There's no such thing as an "11 o-clock lady"...so what on earth can it mean? And WHO is the "11 o-clock lady"? Why is she called that? What does she do to earn a name like that? Who calls her that? .....the name brings up a lot of questions, so if a person is interested in finding answers to all those questions they'll have to read the story.

"The Man Who Came To Dinner"? What's such a big deal about someone coming over for dinner? Who was this man? Why write about a dinner guest?

"The Borrowers" - What on earth are "Borrowers"? Does it just mean they spend their lives borrowing from other people? Doesn't everybody borrow things?

"Mr Foot's Other Leg". - Huh? Who is or was Mr. Foote? What do they mean "other" leg? Everyone has two - did Mr. Foote have another one? Is it just a joke using "foot" and "leg"? Does he perhaps only have one leg? The "other" leg is missing and this story is about how that happened?

Titles of books and stories are often puzzling. This is done on purpose - the writer wants to puzzle us so we'll read the story/book to answer all the questions that the title make us ask.

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:55:06 AM

Neurons: 54,749

NOTE:

Could we not reserve this forum, as titled, for "Literature"? It's very confusing for people - especially learners like Narkom - who do want to ask Literature-based questions to find it has morphed into the "Knowledge & Culture" section instead.

Many people enjoy reading odd snippets of interest as a break from asking/answering/discussing aspect of English language, which is why there's a whole category for that. I don't think many of them would even think of looking in the "Literature" section for such discussions. (More posters might be interested in reading articles in the "Knowledge & Culture" section than in coming over to the Literature section too; so more people would read them!)
narkom12
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:38:26 PM

Neurons: 1,230
Eleven O'Clock Lady really impressed me! I imagine her like a true lady who never gets up before 11 a.m. and lives the high life. Don't know why.
hedy mmm
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:32:27 PM

narkom12 wrote:
Could you please explain what does Eleven O'Clock Lady mean?
Thanks.

——————
Gladly, narkom12,

The “Eleven O’Clock Lady” is the name of a beautiful white flower: Also known as ‘The Star-of-Bethlehem’, ’Grass Lily’, ’Nap-at-Noon’, a species of the genus Ornithogalum, It is a perennial bulbous flowering plant in the asparagus family (Asparagaceae).

A Spring wildflower in certain climates, is so named because the white blossoms don’t open until the sun shines directly on them and wakes them up!
The book’s title uses the analogy of the flower’s name with a murdered switchboard operator who’s shift ended at 11PM, then she would be wide-awake to party!
Susan Witteg Albert, a best-selling author, has sweet stories laced with mystery and personable characters...

As far as the assumption that my thread was a “deliberate and a very familiar way to get a person’s interest....blah, blah, blah” ....Geez, it took me awhile to stop laughing at the asinine remarks of where threads should be posted, what to thread, even more so, not to appreciate the thread...not that I give a hoot... the recipe is what I threaded, and I always offer the source...you could read the book or not! It makes me no how!
I am grateful for the non-betíse posters such as FounDit, DragOnspeaker, Sarrriesfan and you narkom12, who’ve entertained this thread with memories and questions...it’s been fun!

It actually reminds me of an old adage...about someone you think is stupid, until they open their mouth and prove it!...but I guess if you don’t use text books to teach, (by their own admission) the alternative would be to offer a betíse opinion to a thread that was ‘confusing’ if only just to you!..of course you all know what an opinion is...Right?

NOTE:
Thank you KADIKA for YOUR SMILEY.
Thank you Sarrriesfan for YOUR MOST ENJOYABLE POSTS, sharing your experiences.Applause
Thank you FounDit for YOUR WONDERFUL PHOTO Dancing of the Appalachian Woods...it looks like a beautiful place to be. The closest I ever came to Appalachia is the Appalachian Trail excursions with my 1999 JEEP (which I still drive) up those mountains In PA...those were the days my friends...
Thank you DragOnspeaker for YOUR WONDERFUL PHOTOS Dancing of your neck of the woods and the little angel! Actually I’m made up of all sweet things, namely honey. Many of my friends tell me I’m an angel...and I would respond, “Yes, I’m an angel flying too close to the ground”

Again, I thank you for your inquiry narkom12... Hope we taught you something new! ...You’re on the right track, except this lady’s day began at 11pm when she got out work! Dancing
BTW Welcome narkom12 to the TFD Forum!! Dancing Dancing Dancing

hedy mmm Whistle

Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 2:46:21 AM

Neurons: 648,239
Hedy, you come across really offensive by how you respond to comments. If you don't give a hoot, then maybe don't give a hoot and don't post about it in such an offensive manner? There's no need to call people names or to mock their posts.
BobShilling
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:38:18 PM

Neurons: 7,871
hedy mmm wrote:
[b]
As far as the assumption that my thread was a “deliberate and a very familiar way to get a person’s interest....blah, blah, blah” ...

That was a reference to '11 o'clock lady', not to your thread.