Neurons: 421,109
Why do we dream?
whatson
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 7:21:56 PM

Neurons: 3,782
JackMon
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 9:27:07 PM

Neurons: 10
To have an experience, to get what we want or don't get it. And to learn from it, our dreams change who we are. For some reasons we need this
adamsjr
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:19:38 AM

Neurons: 3
Yes, it was indeed a normal question on why do we dream while we sleep? but however, my understanding is we need relaxation to our body in order to regain its power and to stop from thinking while we sleep, dreams were being introduced.
Absinthius
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 10:52:11 AM

Neurons: 26,135
I'm not sure anyone really knows the answer on why we dream. But the way I always thought about it based on my very limited understanding of the biology of sleep would be something like this:

The necessity of sleep is to 'clean' our brain of metabolite and waste products it produces during its normal function. As the brain does not have a lymphatic system, draining of waste products is a lot harder for this organ compared to most other organs in our bodies. Considering that the brain uses up a relatively huge amount of energy, there are bound to be a lot of waste products generated that way.

I think there is a pretty amazing TED talk on this, they outlined the hypothesis that during sleep your brain cells expell fluid (and thereby effectively shrink a little). This results in a lot more space between the brain cells, which is then filled by a relatively large volume of fluid. The scientists who conducted this research had given this fluid a fluorescentdye, allowing them to visualize this as a green color using a microscope. They then could show that during sleep, this fluid seemed to flow through the brain in waves, and these waves seemed to be following the outside of the bloodvessels that run through the brain. Their conclusion was that this was very likely how waste products are removed from our brain during sleep.

So considering that, my thinking is that this seems to make a lot of sense. We all know that when we stay awake for too long, our brain function starts diminish. Thinking becomes slower, coordination becomes harder, it is much harder to focus and it feels like alltogether a kind of fog falls over you. When considering that the buildup of waste products accumulates during waking hours, it kind of makes sense that more waste products will negatively impact your brain function. Which also shows the absolute necessity for sleep.

As for dreams, these are thoughts that happen during sleep, when your braincells are shrunk down and are exposed to fluids waving around in your brain. Quite a different situation from when you are awake, no wonder the function of brain cells will be impacted by this. As I don't think any of us are really able to 'turn off' our braincells, during our sleep they probably just keep working and as a result they keep generating thoughts.

Taking this all together, my conclusion would be that therefore I don't think there is a real purpose or reason behind dreams, they are merely a by-product of how the organ works. A very funny, confusing and often puzzling one.

Just my 2ct. And as a disclaimer, I am not a neuroscientist.
Dreamy
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:01:21 AM

Neurons: 10,806
cheekyme wrote:
Why do we dream?

Hi cheekyme. This might be a helpful link. I really like the conclusion reached.

The Science Behind Dreaming

Quote:
In short, dreams help regulate traffic on that fragile bridge which connects our experiences with our emotions and memories.

I collect anecdotes of dreams about events that are later matched when awake. I've had a few of these and believe the magnetic fields of the Universe are somehow connected to these phenomena.
RSoul
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:53:11 PM

Neurons: 557
I dream of Jeannie.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:36:53 PM

Neurons: 67,035
RSoul wrote:
I dream of Jeannie.

I think a lot of us did...Applause
RSoul
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:43:35 PM

FounDit wrote:
RSoul wrote:
I dream of Jeannie.

Some of us still do. lol
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:46:29 PM

Neurons: 67,035
RSoul wrote:
FounDit wrote:
RSoul wrote:
I dream of Jeannie.

Some of us still do. lol

Well, I had one of those kind just yesterday, not about Jeannie, however (though she still looks smashing at 88). Since the topic is why do we dream, I wonder if I'm getting a message...Think
RSoul
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:07:45 PM

FounDit wrote:
RSoul wrote:
FounDit wrote:
RSoul wrote:
I dream of Jeannie.

Some of us still do. lol

Well, I had one of those kind just yesterday, not about Jeannie, however (though she still looks smashing at 88). Since the topic is why do we dream, I wonder if I'm getting a message...Think

Maybe it was a Jungian slip. Sometimes a Jeannie is just a Jeannie.