The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,693
I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battles or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 12:49:21 AM

Neurons: 3,449,328
Quotation of the Day
?
I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battles or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit.
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 2:56:32 AM

Neurons: 243,211
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. It must be a really great battle, after which the dust of centuries can be settled...
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 5:25:09 AM

Neurons: 420,414
Daemon wrote:

Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 5:26:23 AM

Neurons: 420,414
What eloquence!
monamagda
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 8:34:23 AM

Neurons: 5,438,488

Context from :Remarks at a Close & Circuit Television Broadcast on Behalf of the National Cultural Center.
November 29, 1962

Genius can speak at any time, and the entire world will hear it and listen. Behind the storm of daily conflict and crisis, the dramatic confrontations, the tumult of political struggle, the poet, the artist, the musician, continues the quiet work of centuries, building bridges of experience between peoples, reminding man of the universality of his feelings and desires and despairs, and reminding him that the forces that unite are deeper than those that divide.

Thus, art and the encouragement of art is political in the most profound sense, not as a weapon in the struggle, but as an instrument of understanding of the futility of struggle between those who share man's faith. Aeschylus and Plato are remembered today long after the triumphs of imperial Athens are gone. Dante outlived the ambitions of 13th century Florence. Goethe stands serenely above the politics of Germany, and I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit.

It was Pericles' proudest boast that politically Athens was the school of Hellas. If we can make our country one of the great schools of civilization, then on that achievement will surely rest our claim to the ultimate gratitude of mankind. Moreover, as a great democratic society, we have a special responsibility to the arts, for art is the great democrat calling forth creative genius from every sector of society, disregarding race or religion or wealth or color. The mere accumulation of wealth and power is
available to the dictator and the democrat alike. What freedom alone can bring is the liberation of the human mind and spirit which finds its greatest flowering in the free society.

Thus, in our fulfillment of these responsibilities toward the arts lie our unique achievement as a free society. Thank you.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=9033

Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 8:57:25 AM

Neurons: 809,835
The whole daily quote thing has become terribly lazy -- quotes from the same (tired) people, over and over and over again.
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 11:50:59 AM

Neurons: 492,620

Yes, Mr. Kennedy, after all, what really matters is how what we've done is going down in history, for the good and bad.
Alisson Souza
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 9:49:06 PM

Neurons: 267,293

Definitely, what is specified in our lives has been policies for the long term. I am a good citizen.

CondescendingQuandong
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 1:27:22 AM

Neurons: 3,505
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
The whole daily quote thing has become terribly lazy -- quotes from the same (tired) people, over and over and over again.

Absolutely, this is the inherent problem with all daily-quote things.

Also the assumption/implication that what these people said was ever meaningful at all, it just sometimes isn't yet we all just nod & pretend it's profound without any deeper thought, all because of the notability of the attributed source (especially the sagacious "anonymous") d'oh!
Epiphileon
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 3:18:14 AM

Neurons: 163,541
It is shame the leaders of today do not talk more like this.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?