The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The female of the genus homo is economically dependent on the male. He is her food supply. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,991
The female of the genus homo is economically dependent on the male. He is her food supply.

Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1860-1935)
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 1:30:25 AM

Neurons: 3,380,263
Quotation of the Day

The female of the genus homo is economically dependent on the male. He is her food supply.

monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:31:15 AM

Neurons: 5,370,053

Context from: Women and Economics - A Study of the Economic Relation Between Men and Women as a Factor in Social Evolution
By Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Chapter I

The working power of the mother has always been a prominent factor in human life. She is the worker par excellence, but her work is not such as to affect her economic status. Her living, all that she gets,food, clothing, ornaments, amusements, luxuries,these bear no relation to her power to produce wealth, to her services in the house, or to her motherhood. These things bear relation only to the man she marries, the man she depends on,to how much he has and how much he is willing to give her. The women whose splendid extravagance dazzles the world, whose economic goods are the greatest, are often neither houseworkers nor mothers, but simply the women who hold most power over the men who have the most money. The female of genus homo is economically dependent on the male. He is her food supply.

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/gilman/economics/economics.html

thar
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:35:08 AM

Neurons: 81,239
Quote:
My job was to keep the house clean, get the children off to school, help the cook-housekeeper, and serve at table. The house was much more perfect than the sort of gilt-bordered Christmas-card-Heaven that a crooked-nosed woman would sacrifice everything to attain in the next world: it was an all-electric house, with machines being plugged in and started up all day long; there was no such thing as a fire; heat came from hot-springs underground, and the glowing embers in the fireplace were made of glass.

From Atómstöðin (The Atom Station), translated by Magnus Magnusson

In the afterlife, people never forget to feed the dog.
- Friðrik the elf doctor

Whistle
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:45:07 AM

Neurons: 391,560
That was once upon a time. Today, a female is genus homo dependent on the male is no longer valid. Actually, it is culture and the economic situation that determine our status in society and not our biological nature.
mudbudda669
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:34:09 AM

Neurons: 326,290
Why post this ? Anachronistic reminder ? Progress, any ? Reactionary reversionism ?
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 9:38:51 AM

Neurons: 785,880

Choosing this quote to present today suggests (accurately?) that the TFD crew may be trying to stir up something. Too much politics for them, lately?
Pam Archer
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:00:29 AM

Neurons: 55,870
Perhaps that was once true, but it is only true now for those women who are satisfied with that station in life. I am not. Those who desire to be independent and self-supporting are more than able to do so in our current culture. Still, it was a thought-provoking Quote of the Day!
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:14:01 PM

Neurons: 237,702
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. It happens especially when demand by far outstrips supply...
olddogg eleventy2
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:51:41 PM

Neurons: 1,320,990
Damn, all these years and I didn't realize I was being fattened for slaughter. I guess it makes sense. Most of the women I've known in my life have had a cannibalistic, for want of a better word, "charm" about them!
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:17:00 PM

Neurons: 245,489
Daemon wrote:

Food supplier, rather. While that division of family labour prevailed the male of the genus homo was
socially dependent on the female for reproduction. Nothing dishonourable in that.

KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:21:22 AM

Neurons: 3,380,263
Quotation of the Day

Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears.

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)