The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What does "mimi" mean in Chinese?? Options
tommyg
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:37:06 AM

Neurons: 20
Hi everyone.

I have searched online for what the Chinese word "mimi" means.

I have found some websites say it is the informal word for breasts (like the word tits)

And I have found other websites say it means secret.

Can somebody please inform which is the more common meaning and whether a company using the word "mimi" in their website name (intending to use the "secret" meaning) would be a bad idea because everyone will read it as the informal breasts meaning.

thank you
basisunus
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 2:43:27 PM

Neurons: 165,541
the problem of the Chinese language is that word meanings are closely associated with the writings (think about hieroglyphs), but the written language is not a form of record of pronunciations. In other words, the pronunciation of a Chinese word has little association with its actual meaning. Apparently, whatever "mimi" means in Chinese, it is not written in Latin alphabet. Without the Chinese writing or context, there is usually no way to tell its actual meaning. One may wonder, doesn't that make it a very confusing language? The answer is perhaps yes. I think most TV programs in China have subtitles in Chinese, which might be a good demonstration of the problem. On the bright side, there should be many more puns for people to joke about than other languages. For example, I could say the word "mimi", which means both breasts and secrets.
I came up with a fun example: Victoria's mimi, well protected.
tommyg
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 1:38:50 PM

thanks for your reply basisunus

your post is very insightful, however, it does not bring me any closer to making a decision

lets say for example i wanted to set up a company called "mimi cars".
the intention is for people to read it as "secret cars." - we hire out cheap vehicles.

my question is whether the informal breasts definition is so widely known and used that it will ruin the company name

im sure many people can work out what our intention is (secret cars), however, will people easily read it as "tits cars" first before realising the actual "secret cars" intention??

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:51:26 PM

Neurons: 490,122
tommyg wrote:
thanks for your reply basisunus

your post is very insightful, however, it does not bring me any closer to making a decision

lets say for example i wanted to set up a company called "mimi cars".
the intention is for people to read it as "secret cars." - we hire out cheap vehicles.

my question is whether the informal breasts definition is so widely known and used that it will ruin the company name

im sure many people can work out what our intention is (secret cars), however, will people easily read it as "tits cars" first before realising the actual "secret cars" intention??

Which Chinese language do you mean? Mandarin? Cantonese? You might be safer with Seefat Cars😀

I remember, therefore I am.
tommyg
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:35:18 PM

whichever the internet one is.

i believe it's called Chinese simplified

it will be an online company
basisunus
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 2:14:59 PM

each person will have his/her own interpretation. I would definitely read it as "mini cars". But I don't think I can represent your intended audience, whose reactions may only be determined by a survey. To be honest, a survey result may not be trusted either. I remember AT&T rolled out a service called ISIS a couple of years ago, which I think was something similar to Apple Pay. My interpretation to ISIS then was the Egyptian goddess. But they had to completely scrub all campaigns for the band name because of what we all later knew happened in Syria and Iraq. So, you can never be sure.
basisunus
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 3:02:26 PM

also I came up with two more possible interpretations for mimi:
1. meme, which should be apparent;
2. a small cat. I know that a lot of animals are named after the sounds they make in Chinese. So, a cow should be something like moo, a dog grrr, a chicken chirp, a cat meow, and a small cat mimi. Whether your website name will be interpreted as "pussy cars", I'm not sure. A possibility to be aware of at least.
tommyg
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 10:41:22 AM

interesting stuff

thanks for your input
badminton
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 2:19:14 AM

Neurons: 15
我擦,笑死我了,我也不知道咋给外国人解释,哈哈哈...