The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,045
Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:25:41 AM

Neurons: 3,386,189
Quotation of the Day

Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:45:49 AM

Neurons: 238,036
Daemon wrote:

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Yeah. I don’t know whether it’s optimistic or pessimistic, but in the long run, everything is deadly, including life itself.
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 5:54:51 AM

Neurons: 392,711
Well, it all depends on how we use or misuse things.
taurine
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:36:32 AM

Neurons: 106,628
Just before 1748 a soapery of white soap was intended to be erected in Aberdeen, Scotland. These efforts came to a halt because the neighboring heritors complained of the danger of fire and nauseousness of the smell.

Sas? Nic. Sassnitz. Rug, ja? Rugen. Telemark in Harzgerode.
8BooksOfSengathe
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 8:17:09 AM

Neurons: 15,221
Daemon wrote:

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Using a good quality soap to wash your hands , body , clothes and linens
regularly, or as needed, will help in the upkeep of a healthy environment.
Unfortunately , many still need to be educated on this issue.

Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 9:39:40 AM

Neurons: 787,803
Twain, Mark, pseud. of Samuel Langhorne Clemens, 1835–1910, American author, b. Florida, Mo. As humorist, narrator, and social observer, Twain is unsurpassed in American literature. His novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, a masterpiece of humor, characterization, and realism, has been called the first (and sometimes the best) modern American novel.
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:20:34 PM

Neurons: 245,494
Daemon wrote:

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Sarcasm and expostulation are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly confusing
in the long run.
thar
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 2:35:12 PM

Neurons: 81,287
8BooksOfSengathe wrote:
Daemon wrote:

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Using a good quality soap to wash your hands , body , clothes and linens
regularly, or as needed, will help in the upkeep of a healthy environment.
Unfortunately , many still need to be educated on this issue.

This is presumably about the destruction of indigenous peoples. They keep clean just fine!
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 7:47:03 PM

Neurons: 5,375,582

The Facts Concerning The Recent Resignation
by Mark Twain
WASHINGTON, December, 1867.

I went next to the Secretary of War, who was not inclined to see me at all until he learned that I was connected with the government. If I had not been on important business, I suppose I could not have got in. I asked him for alight (he was smoking at the time), and then I told him I had no fault to find with his defending the parole stipulations of General Lee and his comrades in arms, but that I could not approve of his method of fighting the Indians on the Plains. I said he fought too scattering. He ought to get the Indians more together--get them together in some convenient place, where he could have provisions enough for both parties, and then have a general massacre. I said there was nothing so convincing to an Indian as a general massacre. If he could not approve of the massacre, I said the next surest thing for an Indian was soap and education. Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run; because a half-massacred Indian may recover, but if you educate him and wash him, it is bound to finish him some time or other. It undermines his constitution; it strikes at the foundation of his being. "Sir," I said, "the time has come when blood- curdling cruelty has become necessary. Inflict soap and a spelling-book on every Indian that ravages the Plains, and let them die!"

https://americanliterature.com/author/mark-twain/short-story/the-facts-concerning-the-recent-resignation