The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Saint Marie-Bernarde Soubirous (1844) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 80,757
Saint Marie-Bernarde Soubirous (1844)

Soubirous was a French peasant girl who claimed to see the Virgin Mary in apparitions at a grotto near Lourdes, her home, in 1858. The authorities, skeptical of her visions, subjected her to severe examinations. After years of scrutiny, she was allowed to enter the convent of Notre-Dame de Nevers, where she remained in seclusion until her death at 35. The grotto at Lourdes is now a pilgrimage site, and its waters are reputed to have healing powers. How many pilgrims visit Lourdes each year? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 1:34:08 AM

Neurons: 3,093,373
Today's Birthday
Saint Marie-Bernarde Soubirous (1844)
Soubirous was a French peasant girl who claimed to see the Virgin Mary in apparitions at a grotto near Lourdes, her home, in 1858. The authorities, skeptical of her visions, subjected her to severe examinations. After years of scrutiny, she was allowed to enter the convent of Notre-Dame de Nevers, where she remained in seclusion until her death at 35. The grotto at Lourdes is now a pilgrimage site, and its waters are reputed to have healing powers.
Marek Guman
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 2:50:35 AM

Neurons: 1,500,277
There is a beautiful book about her, Song of Bernadette by Franz Werfel.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 1:13:09 PM

Neurons: 553,590
She must have been popular in her time and even decades later. I have known someone who had her portrait on the night table. This intrigued me, since the photo was already from another era.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 1:18:45 PM

Neurons: 658,259
Soubirous was a French peasant girl who claimed to see the Virgin Mary in apparitions at a grotto near Lourdes, her home, in 1858.
Marek Guman
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2019 3:14:05 PM

Neurons: 1,500,277
Pieter_Hove wrote:
She must have been popular in her time and even decades later. I have known someone who had her portrait on the night table. This intrigued me, since the photo was already from another era.

She certainly was, Pieter, I read the book I mentioned above when I was going to college and I still remember it 20 years later. It made a huge impression on me.