The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Georgian language / ქართული ენა Options
nikolozi
Posted: Saturday, May 2, 2009 6:01:54 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 5/2/2009
Posts: 2
Neurons: 6
Location: United States
If you have any questions regarding Georgian language post it here and I'll try to help out.
meanwhile here is a very good online Georgian-English-Georgian dictionary: http://www.translate.ge/
DrBlin
Posted: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:05:57 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 11/9/2010
Posts: 4
Neurons: 12
Location: France
Dear sir,

I'm tring to get an as precise as possible meaning of the lyrics of a georgian traditional song, an alilo.
My problem is that I don't find the original lyrics with the original character set (how is it called?), but only with latin characters.

The lyrics I have are :


Otsdakhutsa dekembersa qriste ishva betlemsao da.
Angelozni ugaloben, dideba magalta shina da.
Es rom mtskemsebma gaiges mividnen da takvani stses mas.
Qristeshobas mogilosavt, shobis makharobeli var da.
Qristesshobas, qristesshobas mogilosavt aqa mshvidoba !


The corresponding song can be heard in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e36LUvo7RGQ

Thank you for your help.

DrBlin
nikolozi
Posted: Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:17:43 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 5/2/2009
Posts: 2
Neurons: 6
Location: United States
DrBlin wrote:
Dear sir,

I'm tring to get an as precise as possible meaning of the lyrics of a georgian traditional song, an alilo.
My problem is that I don't find the original lyrics with the original character set (how is it called?), but only with latin characters.

The lyrics I have are :


Otsdakhutsa dekembersa qriste ishva betlemsao da.
Angelozni ugaloben, dideba magalta shina da.
Es rom mtskemsebma gaiges mividnen da takvani stses mas.
Qristeshobas mogilosavt, shobis makharobeli var da.
Qristesshobas, qristesshobas mogilosavt aqa mshvidoba !


The corresponding song can be heard in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e36LUvo7RGQ

Thank you for your help.

DrBlin


This might be a too late reply but I'll reply anyways.

The song alilo in Georgian alphabet is written like this ალილო

And the translation of the lyrics would be along these lines:

"On the 25th of December the Christ was born in Bethlehem and"
Angels are chanting, glory to the Lord in heaven and
When the shepherds heard about this, they went and payed tribute to Him,
Merry Christmas, I'm the annunciator of Christmas and
Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, let there be peace!"

There are many different versions of this chanting/lyrics linked with different parts of Georgia.
hope this helps.


davithet
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2011 7:20:24 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/8/2011
Posts: 5
Neurons: 15
Location: Georgia
ALILO - meants Glory God as Arabic Allah'U' Akhbar .
ALILO is old Hiberian Kolkhetian language
DrBlin
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 1:05:02 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 11/9/2010
Posts: 4
Neurons: 12
Location: France
Dear Nikolozi, you may be late in reply, but I'm late too to check again your answer.
Thank you, it's very useful.

nikolozi wrote:


This might be a too late reply but I'll reply anyways.

The song alilo in Georgian alphabet is written like this ალილო

And the translation of the lyrics would be along these lines:

"On the 25th of December the Christ was born in Bethlehem and"
Angels are chanting, glory to the Lord in heaven and
When the shepherds heard about this, they went and payed tribute to Him,
Merry Christmas, I'm the annunciator of Christmas and
Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, let there be peace!"

There are many different versions of this chanting/lyrics linked with different parts of Georgia.
hope this helps.


Nikko
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:41:21 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 2/19/2012
Posts: 1
Neurons: 3
Hello nikolozi,

I would like to know if ძმობა და ერთიანობა would be the correct translation for "brotherhood and unity". I need it for a book cover so I wouldn't like it to be wrongAngel

Cheers,
Niko
jmlumacad
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 5:57:42 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 11/27/2010
Posts: 1
Location: Philippines
Any website that teaches you Georgian language?
DrBlin
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 10:58:09 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 11/9/2010
Posts: 4
Neurons: 12
Location: France
Hello.

I'm looking for the translation of another song.
This one is called "Chela" or "Asho Chela"

I've found the lyrics on the web, I know it's talking about the lament of a poor man with his bulls, but that's all.

If you could provide a more precise feedback, that would be great.

Quote:
Chela

asho, ch'ela, visho busk'a,
ou, nana, ou nana, nanina.
si monobash, gegap'ili,
ou, nana, skali ts’odva, nanina.

..ou, nana, ou nana, nanina...

si uch'khonch'khe, si ugure,
ou, nana, skali ts'odva, nanina.
si kiseri elap'iri.
ou, nana, skali ts'odva, nanina.

აშო, ჩელა, ვიშო ბუსქა,
ოუ, ნანა, ოუ ნანა, ნანინა.
სი მონობაშ, გეგაფილი,
ოუ, ნანა, სკალი ცოდვა, ნანინა.

..ოუ, ნანა, ოუ ნანა, ნანინა…

სი უჩხონჩხე, სი უგურე,
ოუ, ნანა, სკალი ცოდვა, ნანინა.
სი კისერი ელაფირი.
ოუ, ნანა, სკალი ცოდვა, ნანინა.



Regards,

Dr Blin
lhunnewell
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 2:01:54 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 5/17/2013
Posts: 1
Neurons: 3
Location: France
My Georgian friend wrote this. Do you know what it means?

nu axureb exla. gkotsni
Adriana Romano
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:02:17 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 12/21/2013
Posts: 1
Neurons: 10
Could anyone please tell me which is correct?

A) ჩვენმა სტუმრებმა შეძლეს ეს ნოხი ყიდვა.
B) ჩვენმა სტუმრებმა შეძლეს ამ ნოხის ყიდვა.

Thanks
Mikheil Chkheidze
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:57:35 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 1/7/2014
Posts: 1
Neurons: 3
Adriana Romano wrote:
Could anyone please tell me which is correct?

A) ჩვენმა სტუმრებმა შეძლეს ეს ნოხი ყიდვა.
B) ჩვენმა სტუმრებმა შეძლეს ამ ნოხის ყიდვა.

Thanks



The correct one is B
boston2390
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:01:17 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 3/27/2014
Posts: 1
Neurons: 10
Hey!

I want to write a birthday note for my friend in Georgian. I know a bit, but not enough haha.

How could I say - "Happy birthday my dear friend. I hope you have a wonderful day! I miss you very much!"

Is there anything else you could say in Georgian for a birthday?

Madloba!
Jorge Azevedo
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 11:58:26 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 6/22/2014
Posts: 1
Neurons: 5
Can anyone translate me a georgian text?
Erosha Usgodaarachchi
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 4:31:00 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 9/28/2014
Posts: 1
Neurons: 3
Hi there, anyone can translate this to English....... please

ravici mejvareobaze ar vici jemal axa getkvis (Georgian)

Thank you guys
Karll Draculla E
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 1:07:29 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 10/10/2014
Posts: 5
Neurons: 21,837
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Erosha Usgodaarachchi wrote:
Hi there, anyone can translate this to English....... please

ravici mejvareobaze ar vici jemal axa getkvis (Georgian)

Thank you guys


i don't know about wedding jemal knows everything Liar
Karll Draculla E
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 1:11:15 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 10/10/2014
Posts: 5
Neurons: 21,837
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States
lhunnewell wrote:
My Georgian friend wrote this. Do you know what it means?

nu axureb exla. gkotsni


ahh c'mon. kiss u
Richard S. McKinley
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 3:09:23 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 12/3/2015
Posts: 1
Neurons: 3
Could you please translate the following Alilo (Guruli)? Thank you! We love the music, and we know it's primarily about Christmas, but we want to know what we are singing so we can respect the music properly.

Alilo (Guruli)

Eie woho iada
Iada Ots da kuhtsa krist'shobis wo da

Iada ishva kriste maiatskhovali da

Iada shobis makhar oioberi wo da

Iada ghmertma qvelas gaiaditeno da

Iada shoba akhal tseielitsadi da

Iada mosuli da moiomavali da

Eie woho ia, o hoia, iahalido da


From a page labeled "Rustavi Ensemble Variant"

Thank you! Richard
Lambros Vasileiou
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2018 9:03:19 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 8/31/2018
Posts: 1
Neurons: 5
HELLO I WANT TO KNOW WHAT MEAN THIS?

RaviCi davsdev bavshvebs gasagans ar mazlevenaQ
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.