The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Felicity, the companion of content, is rather found in our own breasts than in the enjoyment of external things; And I firmly... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 76,458
Felicity, the companion of content, is rather found in our own breasts than in the enjoyment of external things; And I firmly believe it requires but a little philosophy to make a man happy in whatsoever state he is. This consists in a full resignation to the will of Providence.

John Filson (1747-1788)
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 4:33:48 AM

Neurons: 2,701,154
Quotation of the Day

Felicity, the companion of content, is rather found in our own breasts than in the enjoyment of external things; And I firmly believe it requires but a little philosophy to make a man happy in whatsoever state he is. This consists in a full resignation to the will of Providence.

John Filson (1747-1788)
monamagda
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 6:13:02 AM

Neurons: 4,710,052

Context from: The Adventures of Colonel Daniel Boone

Notwithstanding the unfortunate circumstances of our company, and our dangerous situation, as surrounded with hostile savages, our meeting so fortunately in the wilderness made us reciprocally sensible of the utmost satisfaction. So much does friendship triumph over misfortune, that sorrows and sufferings vanish at the meeting not only of real friends, but of the most distant acquaintances, and substitutes happiness in their room.

Soon after this, my companion in captivity, John Stewart, was killed by the savages, and the man that came with my brother returned home by himself. We were then in a dangerous, helpless situation, exposed daily to perils and death amongst savages and wild beasts, not a white man in the country but ourselves.

Thus situated, many hundred miles from our families in the howling wilderness, I believe few would have equally enjoyed the happiness we experienced. I often observed to my brother, You see now how little nature requires to be satisfied. Felicity, the companion of content, is rather found in our own breasts than in the enjoyment of external things; And I firmly believe it requires but a little philosophy to make a man happy in whatsoever state he is. This consists in a full resignation to the will of Providence; and a resigned soul finds pleasure in a path strewed with briars and thorns.

We continued not in a state of indolence, but hunted every day, and prepared a little cottage to defend us from the Winter storms. We remained there undisturbed during the Winter; and on the first day of May, 1770, my brother returned home to the settlement by himself, for a new recruit of horses and ammunition, leaving me by myself, without bread, salt or sugar, without company of my fellow creatures, or even a horse or dog. I confess I never before was under greater necessity of exercising philosophy and fortitude. A few days I passed uncomfortably. The idea of a beloved wife and family, and their anxiety upon the account of my absence and exposed situation, made sensible impressions on my heart. A thousand dreadful apprehensions presented themselves to my view, and had undoubtedly disposed me to melancholy, if further indulged.

https://www.pagebypagebooks.com/John_Filson/The_Adventures_of_Colonel_Daniel_Boone/The_Adventures_of_Colonel_Daniel_Boon_p2.html

Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 2:38:09 PM

Neurons: 195,101
Daemon wrote:

John Filson (1747-1788)

Who needs a one-off happiness when there's a whole buffet of enjoyment out there?
Joel Souza
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 4:38:02 PM

Neurons: 212,219
Quotation of the Day
?
Beam
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 8:25:56 PM

Neurons: 448,331
This quote reminds me so much of one from War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy:

"While imprisoned in the shed Pierre had learned not with his intellect but with his whole being, by life itself, that man is created for happiness, that happiness is within him, in the satisfaction of simple human needs, and that all unhappiness arises not from privation but from superfluity. And now during these last three weeks of the march he had learned still another new, consolatory truth- that nothing in this world is terrible. He had learned that as there is no condition in which man can be happy and entirely free, so there is no condition in which he need be unhappy and lack freedom. He learned that suffering and freedom have their limits and that those limits are very near together...."