The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

California English Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 74,847
California English

California English is a dialect of English spoken in the state of California, which has one of the largest and most diverse populations in the US. California English is not uniform across the entire state—there are many variations in accents and dialects, particularly between northern and southern Californians—nor is it confined only to California. Even so, there are certain linguistic features that can be identified as either originally or predominantly Californian. What are some examples? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2018 4:11:51 AM

Neurons: 2,608,696
Article of the Day
California English
California English is a dialect of English spoken in the state of California, which has one of the largest and most diverse populations in the US. California English is not uniform across the entire state—there are many variations in accents and dialects, particularly between northern and southern Californians—nor is it confined only to California. Even so, there are certain linguistic features that can be identified as either originally or predominantly Californian.
mactoria
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2018 8:40:00 AM

Neurons: 1,272,596
As a native Californian whose lived in the Central Valley, North Coast, and Sierra Foothill areas, I found this article to be both dated and pointless for the most part. Several of the words and phrases the article attributes to certain areas of the state are already obsolete, and even when they were in use, were used by small segments or age groups of the Calif. population (e.g. 'hella'). The phonology may be useful, I can't say as I'm not expert in phonology nor did I grasp the phonological explanations. However, to make the broad generalization that rural Californians speak more slowly than urban Californians is inaccurate: there are numerous areas/regions/pockets of 'ruralness' in California, many of which had little if any exposure to southern/Oklahoman accents. And the reverse is also inaccurate: there is no one speech speed or pattern or accent used by Californians living in urban or suburban areas. People residing in California's urban, suburban, and rural areas are a mixture: natives, immigrants, persons moving from other US states, etc.

I found the mixture of speech (phonology) characteristics with terms/words a weird and confusing mash-up, and why the two were put together in one article was never made clear, nor was the connection, if any, between phonology and terms/words of specific areas.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2018 5:42:10 PM

Neurons: 4,568,999

Words
Californians drink soda (not pop) with their sub (not grinder or hoagie) which has a heel (not crust). They use a water or drinking fountain (not bubbler) and play with roly-polys (not pill bugs or millipedes) and fireflies (not lightning bugs) in their tennis shoes (not sneakers).

Obviously hella is a famous neologisms but so is Hyphy (NorCal represent!) and you can credit Californians for popularizing awesome, totally, fer sure, harsh, gnarly, and dude for the rest of the country a few decades back, for better or worse.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-key-features-of-a-Californian-accent
MelissaMe
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2018 10:54:37 PM

Neurons: 347,528
Fireflies in California? I’ve lived in Santa Clara County, Contra Costa County, and Mendocino County for a total of almost 2 decades, now, and I’ve never seen any fireflies or lightning buts at all. Never. Not ever. Not even once.

I don’t drink soda, or pop, or carbonated beverages of any sort. Well, once a decade or so when I find one that’s not made with any sort of corn syrup. Those are scarcer than hen’s teeth.

We not only have rolo-poly pill bugs, we also have a similar but not entirely like critter called a wood louse. Kind of like the pill bug, but has slightly flanged edges. I called ‘em BB Bugs in Arkansas. When I was growing up there, little kids who don’t know any better, or who are just mean, used them in their BB guns as ammunition.

I don’t eat subs, grinders, or hoagies.

My bread has crusts. My shoes have heels. I’ve also, regrettably, dated a few heels.

I don’t care for water or drinking fountains...too unsanitary for my tastes.

But, still and all, California is fer sure, totally, awesome and gnarly, dude! The living cost is totally harsh, however.

This is my only now.