The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Magna Carta Day Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 74,757
Magna Carta Day

The Magna Carta was the "great charter" of English liberties, which the tyrannical King John I was forced to sign on June 15, 1215. Although this day does not appear in the official calendar of any church, it is a day of great religious significance throughout the English-speaking world. One of the 48 personal rights and liberties guaranteed by the Magna Carta was freedom of worship; in fact, the opening words of the document were, "The Church of England shall be free." It is regarded as one of the most important documents in the history of political and human freedom. More...
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 6:39:35 AM

Neurons: 2,605,409
Today's Holiday
Magna Carta Day
The Magna Carta was the "great charter" of English liberties, which the tyrannical King John I was forced to sign on June 15, 1215. Although this day does not appear in the official calendar of any church, it is a day of great religious significance throughout the English-speaking world. One of the 48 personal rights and liberties guaranteed by the Magna Carta was freedom of worship; in fact, the opening words of the document were, "The Church of England shall be free." It is regarded as one of the most important documents in the history of political and human freedom.
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 10:00:31 AM

Neurons: 286,660
- Congrats to all Brits that in their past made possible to create a more democratic society nowadays.
thar
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 10:10:59 AM

Neurons: 71,562
There has only been one King John of England/United Kingdom (one was enough) - so I don't see where the "First" came from!

Poor John. He gets a bad rep. He becomes the baddie in all the Robin Hood stories - and admittedly he was a terrible king, lost nearly all England's land in northern France, was a vicious and greedy despot and deservedly got put in his place by the barons, and died of dysentery after losing all his money in the Wash. Whistle

But then Richard the Lionheart is painted as the hero, and he barely set foot in England, leaving it for John to rule while he was off spending everybody's money on crusades and getting himself kidnapped.
Really, I blame him!