The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

There is one insuperable obstacle to a belief in ghosts. A ghost never comes naked: he appears either in a winding-sheet or... Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 75,687
There is one insuperable obstacle to a belief in ghosts. A ghost never comes naked: he appears either in a winding-sheet or "in his habit as he lived." To believe in him, then, is to believe that not only have the dead the power to make themselves visible after there is nothing left of them, but that the same power inheres in textile fabrics.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:36:45 AM

Neurons: 191,013
You don't need to believe in ghosts. You must believe in miracles...
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:38:32 AM

Neurons: 61,437
Resurrection theories meet similar obstacles.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:41:51 AM

Neurons: 2,648,945
Quotation of the Day
There is one insuperable obstacle to a belief in ghosts. A ghost never comes naked: he appears either in a winding-sheet or "in his habit as he lived." To believe in him, then, is to believe that not only have the dead the power to make themselves visible after there is nothing left of them, but that the same power inheres in textile fabrics.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 11:59:45 AM

Neurons: 4,651,280
Total context from : The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary -

Page 96

GHOST, n. The outward and visible sign of an inward fear.

Page 96

He saw a ghost.
It occupied -- that dismal thing! --
The path that he was following.
Before he'd time to stop and fly,
An earthquake trifled with the eye
That saw a ghost.
He fell as fall the early good;
Unmoved that awful vision stood.
The stars that danced before his ken
He wildly brushed away, and then
He saw a post.
Jared Macphester

Accounting for the uncommon behavior of ghosts, Heine mentions somebody's ingenious theory to the effect that they are as much afraid of us as we of them. Not quite, if I may judge from such tables of comparative speed as I am able to compile from memories of my own experience.
There is one insuperable obstacle to a belief in ghosts. A ghost never comes naked: he appears either in a winding-sheet or "in his habit as he lived." To believe in him, then, is to believe that not only have the dead the power to make themselves visible after there is nothing left of them, but that the same power inheres in textile fabrics. Supposing the products of the loom to have this ability, what object would they have in exercising it? And why does not the apparition of a suit of clothes sometimes walk abroad without a ghost in it? These be riddles of significance. They reach away down and get a convulsive grip on the very tap-root of this flourishing faith.

https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0820326348

teachersalah
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 3:44:46 PM

Neurons: 4,109
Daemon wrote:

Can someome explain this to me?
Cest moi Aussi
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:05:50 PM

Neurons: 312,569
If I were a ghost, wouldn't I have the ability to project whatever image I wanted to project?
Sue Y
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:07:34 PM

Neurons: 10,452
The same power may very well inhere in textile fabrics. Cotton, wools, silk, etc. all living organisms at one time.
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:25:17 PM

Neurons: 307,069
I haven't never thought in this direction - ghosts area all the time dressed up! Fuking materialists!