The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The greatest tyrants over women are women. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,118
The greatest tyrants over women are women.

William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:11:35 AM

Neurons: 2,360,861
Quotation of the Day

Anar Zhumabekova
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:31:57 AM

Neurons: 131
Their mentality is.

So is in men.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:16:58 AM

Neurons: 392,918
Women are tyrannical by nature, but as they cannot, generally speaking, exercise oppressive control over men, they tyrannise weaker women.

I remember, therefore I am.
FX2
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:20:18 AM

Neurons: 53,572

Boo hoo!

Women are not very nice when other women are around.
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:27:58 AM

Neurons: 165,998
Daemon wrote:

I don't have enough evidence to support or deny this claim. But I wonder who are the greatest tyrants over men? Any credible suggestions?
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:18:17 PM

Neurons: 4,165,292

Context from: Vanity Fair

49. XLIX

In Which We Enjoy Three Courses and a Dessert

But it was when the ladies were alone that Becky knew the tug of war would come. And then indeed the little woman found herself in such a situation as made her acknowledge the correctness of Lord Steyne's caution to her to beware of the society of ladies above her own sphere. As they say, the persons who hate Irishmen most are Irishmen; so, assuredly, the greatest tyrants over women are women. When poor little Becky, alone with the ladies, went up to the fire-place whither the great ladies had repaired, the great ladies marched away and took possession of a table of drawings. When Becky followed them to the table of drawings, they dropped off one by one to the fire again. She tried to speak to one of the children (of whom she was commonly fond in public places), but Master George Gaunt was called away by his mamma; and the stranger was treated with such cruelty finally, that even Lady Steyne herself pitied her and went up to speak to the friendless little woman.

"Lord Steyne," said her Ladyship, as her wan cheeks glowed with a blush, "says you sing and play very beautifully, Mrs. Crawley--I wish you would do me the kindness to sing to me."

"I will do anything that may give pleasure to my Lord Steyne or to you," said Rebecca, sincerely grateful, and seating herself at the piano, began to sing.

She sang religious songs of Mozart, which had been early favourites of Lady Steyne, and with such sweetness and tenderness that the lady, lingering round the piano, sat down by its side and listened until the tears rolled down her eyes. It is true that the opposition ladies at the other end of the room kept up a loud and ceaseless buzzing and talking, but the Lady Steyne did not hear those rumours. She was a child again--and had wandered back through a forty years' wilderness to her convent garden. The chapel organ had pealed the same tones, the organist, the sister whom she loved best of the community, had taught them to her in those early happy days. She was a girl once more, and the brief period of her happiness bloomed out again for an hour--she started when the jarring doors were flung open, and with a loud laugh from Lord Steyne, the men of the party entered full of gaiety.

Read more :http://www.literaturepage.com/read/vanity-fair-572.html

Emel Rapchan
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:55:30 PM

Neurons: 206,085
I agree!