The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Please kindly suggest some legal English books. Options
ploy_angjoe
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 4:26:58 AM

Neurons: 388
Hi Everyone.
I am trying to improve my English skills especially writing and reading in legal term.
Could you please suggest any materials such as textbooks?
For your information, my English level is in the intermediate level.
Some told me to start with "Professional English in Use Law". Is it good for the beginner in legal English learner?
Actually my short goal is to be able to understand some legal agreement and draft agreement in English.
Any advice are welcome. Thank you ^____^
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:34:24 AM

Neurons: 500,500
ploy_angjoe wrote:
I am trying to improve my English skills especially writing and reading in legal term.

When I arrived to Canada I decided to acquaint myself with the law and I read this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Every-Canadians-Guide-Law-4th/dp/1554688825

I must say it was interesting reading. I do not remember if there's something about 'habeas corpus' or 'bill of attainder' but 'subpoena' and 'summons' I learned from this book. :)

And at the time I was at level C1.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
ploy_angjoe
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 11:31:41 AM

Neurons: 388
Thank you very much Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
It sounds a good book for beginner like me.
I will try to find this book here. :)))
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:20:38 AM

Neurons: 70,769
Dear angjoe,

I am a lawyer with considerable standing. I advise you to read, study, understand and analyze the judgements of the famous judges and pleadings of legal luminaries for a vocabulary of legal terms written English.

For spoken English, try to speak English with your friends, teachers and family.

Learn the art of making a speech in English.Dancing Dancing Dancing

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
dusty
Posted: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:18:58 AM

Neurons: 5,755
the only thing I got for you is that in small claims court the term "time-barred" is sometimes referred to as "clock-blocked"

isn't that right Jesse?

To be concerned of the fate of the world is not bad, but bearing false witness is to not be
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:54:37 PM

Neurons: 67,785
ploy_angjoe wrote:
Hi Everyone.
Some told me to start with "Professional English in Use Law". Is it good for the beginner in legal English learner?
Actually my short goal is to be able to understand some legal agreement and draft agreement in English.
Any advice are welcome. Thank you ^____^

Dear ploy_angjoe,

I wish to share with you my own, personal experience.

When I have come to Ireland where I am living now, I bought certain book about Spanish history. It was hard to read, much harder than any book written by Norman Davies.

Later on I decided on to buy some books about the law. They were consisting of no more than 200 pages. Not good at all. Why? Because they were concise legal books, giving only a brief understanding of the matter they were treating about.
If you are a lawyer who knows the law at your own country - and this means that you are well beyond any average scale of reader in your mother tongue language - it is hard to learn foreign language from a book prepared for a native who has not accomplished University degree. [You may think about a SpongBob teaching you who is a lawyer. Totally forget about that kind of books if you are a barrister.]

After that I have paid a subscription for Newsweek. And this was the beginning of the fun.
The Newsweek and the Times magazines are issued weekly. They contain many excellent articles and photos. I had been making notes on pages of these magazines comprising of words appropriate to use them as suitable to understand the meaning of words I didn't know. But I used English language, only. Using English language to explain to yourself the meaning of words you do not understand is the fastest way to learn English. Strange as it may sound, but this is true. Do not use your mother tongue language while making your notes related to the word you are learning. I may admit that the dictionary I used at first was Merriam Webster, and I paid a fee to use its resources. But Merriam Webster I had found not as good as thefreedictionary, the access to which I had not paid at all. Why? Because I had an opportunity to ask wise people on this forum for their guidance. And, even more, I am reading what is the style they are writing, what helps extremely. Many people on this forum use excellent quality of language. Some of them not. But always you may learn a lot about English language from the people posting here.

I think that I am getting a bit wordy, here.
To sum up, I like Muay Thai, that is a combat sport of Thailand that uses stand-up striking along with various clinching techniques.

The Law of Contract by Edwin Peel, B.C.L., M.A.
Fellow & Tutor in Law,
Keble College, Oxford
Solicitor & Consultant,
Clifford Chance LLP

Treitel

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:17:50 PM

Neurons: 67,785
To continue, because it is not appropriate from my point of view to write anything below Treitel, I wish to introduce you to the wisdom of the thoughts expressed by the luminaries of the Irish Courts, that is, in http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/Webpages/HomePage?OpenDocument

Reading the judgements will give you an opportunity to learn the English.
The Irish law system is actually still deriving from the common law. This means that, the wisdom of the people presiding over the benches in New Zealand, Australia, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland may be available to you.

Enjoy.

P.s.
I forgot about quite a substantial number of Caribbean and Pacific states. I am sorry. I wish to be there. Drool

p.p.s.
The Economist is the best of them all.

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
TMe
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 12:24:57 PM

Neurons: 4,235
Legal English books or English Legal books??

I am a layman.
TMe
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 12:26:38 PM

Neurons: 4,235
Legal English books or English Legal books?

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 12:45:32 PM

Neurons: 164,822
TMe wrote:
Legal English books or English Legal books?

Think Think hmmm Think Think

There are not, these days, many illegal English books - so there are millions (if not gazillions) of legal English books.

I think we would have to say "English legal books" - books written in English on the subject of law, the English used in courts and by lawyers (with a few Latin phrases thrown in for fun).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!