The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Framing: The Art of "Spinning" Information Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 72,756
Framing: The Art of "Spinning" Information

A frame is a schema of interpretation that individuals rely on to understand events. In framing, specific social and political forces use these unconscious collections of stereotypes to develop rhetorical packaging that encourages certain interpretations and discourages others. It has become especially popular in the US, where it is used by both major political parties. What framing strategies were included in the political memo titled "The 14 Words Never to Use"? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 2:49:12 AM

Neurons: 2,482,073
Article of the Day
A frame is a schema of interpretation that individuals rely on to understand events. In framing, specific social and political forces use these unconscious collections of stereotypes to develop rhetorical packaging that encourages certain interpretations and discourages others. It has become especially popular in the US, where it is used by both major political parties.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 8:26:55 PM

Neurons: 48,840
Daemon wrote:

A frame is a schema of interpretation that individuals rely on to understand events. In framing, specific social and political forces use these unconscious collections of stereotypes to develop rhetorical packaging that encourages certain interpretations and discourages others. It has become especially popular in the US, where it is used by both major political parties. What framing strategies were included in the political memo titled "The 14 Words Never to Use"? More...

Extremely interesting and informative in helping people to understand much of what is happening today, especially in the political arena of Western nations.

The assault on language and the substitution of frames go hand in hand. In fact, the assault on language is one of the frames.

Here are some of the new frames that have been introduced into Western society in the last 50 to 60 years:

•There is no truth, only competing agendas.

•All Western (and especially American) claims to moral superiority over Communism/Fascism/Islam are vitiated by the West’s history of racism and colonialism.

•There are no objective standards by which we may judge one culture to be better than another. Anyone who claims that there are such standards is an evil oppressor.

•The prosperity of the West is built on ruthless exploitation of the Third World; therefore Westerners actually deserve to be impoverished and miserable.

•Crime is the fault of society, not the individual criminal. Poor criminals are entitled to what they take. Submitting to criminal predation is more virtuous than resisting it.

•The poor are victims. Criminals are victims. And only victims are virtuous. Therefore only the poor and criminals are virtuous. (Rich people can borrow some virtue by identifying with poor people and criminals.)

•For a virtuous person, violence and war are never justified. It is always better to be a victim than to fight, or even to defend oneself. But ‘oppressed’ people are allowed to use violence anyway; they are merely reflecting the evil of their oppressors.

•When confronted with terror, the only moral course for a Westerner is to apologize for past sins, understand the terrorist’s point of view, and make concessions.

These aren't mine, but have been in the public arena for years. But they do explain and reveal the differences in opinions seen here on the forum, particularly in the politics section.

As should be obvious, I don't hold with any of these frames, considering them to be idiocy. I tend to hold with the older more established frames that made the US the great country that it is. This is why I can't agree with folks on topics like environmentalism and immigration. I've no desire to return to the way it used to be, but believe we can improve without the lunacy of the above listed frames.

You can likely expect to see revealed another frame that is currently popular:

•Anyone who disagrees with any of these points is to be ridiculed, insulted, shamed, and accused of any of the now popular epithets, such as racist, homophobic, Islamophobic, misogynist, etc.

Edit: Almost forgot to add -- for additional information of this for those interested, check out Antonio Gramsci

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_hegemony

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Joel Souza
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 9:00:33 PM

Neurons: 160,941
A frame is a schema of interpretation that individuals rely on to understand events. In framing, specific social and political forces use these unconscious collections of stereotypes to develop rhetorical packaging that encourages certain interpretations and discourages others. It has become especially popular in the US, where it is used by both major political parties. What framing strategies were included in the political memo titled "The 14 Words Never to Use"?
Hope123
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 9:18:09 PM

Neurons: 45,769
I don't know where you got those ideas that are in point form, FD, but every one of them is absolutely incorrect in my opinion. In fact I am sick and tired of all the spinning that goes on by many people throughout the world in all facets of life, and not just in the government and the media. I have talked many times on the forum of how schemas help us to make sense of our lives but they can lead us astray. And manipulating people using them is centuries old but with the new name of spinning or framing.

FounDit Wrote: These aren't mine, but have been in the public arena for years. But they do explain and reveal the differences in opinions seen here on the forum, particularly in the politics section.

I'm not sure without details exactly what you mean by that statement. I am wondering if you are making assumptions about the opinions of others on the forum when you say that those statements reveal and explain to you why people have differing opinions from yours. I also wonder why you think that and why you would need any such explanation. Further, how does that apply to environmentalism (not sure what you mean by that term) and immigration.

Even though I disagree with all of those statements, I have never been shamed, insulted, or called any of those terms you mention such as racist, or even misandrist. In fact the only times I have ever been insulted in my life have been on this forum. Semi insulted and not to be taken seriously of course.

(PS - did you check out the recent posts on the "Daca Stay or Go?" thread yet?)

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Anon
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 5:01:04 PM

Neurons: 48,840
Hope123 wrote:
I don't know where you got those ideas that are in point form, FD, but every one of them is absolutely incorrect in my opinion. I am not surprised.In fact I am sick and tired of all the spinning that goes on by many people throughout the world in all facets of life, and not just in the government and the media. I have talked many times on the forum of how schemas help us to make sense of our lives but they can lead us astray. And manipulating people using them is centuries old but with the new name of spinning or framing.

FounDit Wrote: These aren't mine, but have been in the public arena for years. But they do explain and reveal the differences in opinions seen here on the forum, particularly in the politics section.

I'm not sure without details exactly what you mean by that statement. I am wondering if you are making assumptions about the opinions of others on the forum when you say that those statements reveal and explain to you why people have differing opinions from yours. I also wonder why you think that and why you would need any such explanation. Further, how does that apply to environmentalism (not sure what you mean by that term) and immigration.
I was simply saying that these frames are common in our society today and just as you stated above, they explain and reveal the differences in schemes, and therefore different perspectives of various posters on topics.

I could explain the reference to environmentalism and immigration, but we've already been over that. Since we do not agree on those topics, I see no need to rehash them here. Basically, we come at them from two different frames of reference.

Even though I disagree with all of those statements, I have never been shamed, insulted, or called any of those terms you mention such as racist, or even misandrist. In fact the only times I have ever been insulted in my life have been on this forum. Semi insulted and not to be taken seriously of course.
Isn't the reason for that obvious? Silly question on my part because I already know the answer.

(PS - did you check out the recent posts on the "Daca Stay or Go?" thread yet?)
No. After my last post, I kind of forgot about it and moved on. But I'll check it.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:55:39 PM

Neurons: 45,769
FounDit wrote:
Hope123 wrote:

I could explain the reference to environmentalism and immigration, but we've already been over that. Since we do not agree on those topics, I see no need to rehash them here. Basically, we come at them from two different frames of reference.

Actually, I answered in detail in the other thread about DACA before I saw this thread again that from what I gather we actually have similar views on immigration except for the one special case of the Dreamers. I obviously know we disagree about what to do about climate, but do not know what all is encompassed in your definition of Environmentalism. It is a big topic and to me is about the sustainable management of resources, and the protection of the natural environment through changes in public policy and individual behavior. Its about ecology, health, and human rights. I didn't know we disagreed on all of it - but forget I mentioned it.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Anon