The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The fallen angel becomes a malignant devil. Yet even that enemy of God and man had friends and associates in his desolation. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,268
The fallen angel becomes a malignant devil. Yet even that enemy of God and man had friends and associates in his desolation.

Mary Shelley (1797-1851)
monamagda
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:03:11 AM

Neurons: 4,176,503

Context from:Frankenstein

Chapter 24

Shmoop

"Oh, it is not thus--not thus," interrupted the being. "Yet such must be the impression conveyed to you by what appears to be the purport of my actions. Yet I seek not a fellow feeling in my misery. No sympathy may I ever find. When I first sought it, it was the love of virtue, the feelings of happiness and affection with which my whole being overflowed, that I wished to be participated. But now that virtue has become to me a shadow, and that happiness and affection are turned into bitter and loathing despair, in what should I seek for sympathy? I am content to suffer alone while my sufferings shall endure; when I die, I am well satisfied that abhorrence and opprobrium should load my memory. Once my fancy was soothed with dreams of virtue, of fame, and of enjoyment. Once I falsely hoped to meet with beings who, pardoning my outward form, would love me for the excellent qualities which I was capable of unfolding. I was nourished with high thoughts of honour and devotion. But now crime has degraded me beneath the meanest animal. No guilt, no mischief, no malignity, no misery, can be found comparable to mine. When I run over the frightful catalogue of my sins, I cannot believe that I am the same creature whose thoughts were once filled with sublime and transcendent visions of the beauty and the majesty of goodness. But it is even so; the fallen angel becomes a malignant devil. Yet even that enemy of God and man had friends and associates in his desolation; I am alone.

Read more :https://www.shmoop.com/frankenstein/chapter-24-full-text-14.html

ibj_ldn
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:19:08 AM

Neurons: 176,772
This passage applies perfectly to many Brazilian politicians...
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:58:23 AM

Neurons: 2,372,515
Quotation of the Day
The fallen angel becomes a malignant devil. Yet even that enemy of God and man had friends and associates in his desolation.
Mary Shelley (1797-1851)
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 9:13:51 AM

Neurons: 167,055
Daemon wrote:

Mary Shelley (1797-1851)

Yeah. Though they are rather minions than friends...
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 11:10:11 AM

Neurons: 210,985
The fallen angel becomes a malignant devil.
Yet even that enemy of God and man had friends and associates in his desolation.

- In my opinion, this quote regards more about the need anyone has in being part of a group. The Being (allegedly the Frankenstein's Monster) was complaining towards its own seeking of a companion or someone to be a friend of it.
- Shelley exposed that even a so-called grotesque creature like the Monster would be needed for feeling embraced by a community no matter where of compounded for.
- As monamagda has brought up the quote from the book, it is perfectly possible to imply from that the Being refers that even the other monsters are needed of, in a certain extent, associated partners. Even if those partners would be doomed and cursed fallen angels.