The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Thank goodness, we can choose our friends. We have to take our relatives as they are. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,334
Thank goodness, we can choose our friends. We have to take our relatives as they are.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 5:38:57 AM

Neurons: 2,761,244
Quotation of the Day

Thank goodness, we can choose our friends. We have to take our relatives as they are.

Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 9:06:29 AM

Neurons: 197,228
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. What makes it hard to shift your responsibility onto others...
monamagda
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 9:44:45 AM

Neurons: 4,783,490
Context from: Anne's House of Dreams

Chapter 8

Anne was saved by the clock striking five.

"Lord, is it that late?" exclaimed Miss Cornelia. "How time does slip by when you're enjoying yourself! Well, I must betake myself home."

"No, indeed! You are going to stay and have tea with us," said Anne eagerly.

"Are you asking me because you think you ought to, or because you really want to?" demanded Miss Cornelia.

"Because I really want to."

"Then I'll stay. YOU belong to the race that knows Joseph."

"I know we are going to be friends," said Anne, with the smile that only they of the household of faith ever saw.

"Yes, we are, dearie. Thank goodness, we can choose our friends. We have to take our relatives as they are, and be thankful if there are no penitentiary birds among them. Not that I've many none nearer than second cousins. I'm a kind of lonely soul, Mrs. Blythe."

There was a wistful note in Miss Cornelia's voice.

"I wish you would call me Anne," exclaimed Anne impulsively. "It would seem more HOMEY. Everyone in Four Winds, except my husband, calls me Mrs. Blythe, and it makes me feel like a stranger. Do you know that your name is very near being the one I yearned after when I was a child. I hated 'Anne' and I called myself 'Cordelia' in imagination."

"I like Anne. It was my mother's name. Old-fashioned names are the best and sweetest in my opinion. If you're going to get tea you might send the young doctor to talk to me. He's been lying on the sofa in that office ever since I came, laughing fit to kill over what I've been saying."

"How did you know?" cried Anne, too aghast at this instance of Miss Cornelia's uncanny prescience to make a polite denial.

"I saw him sitting beside you when I came up the lane, and I know men's tricks," retorted Miss Cornelia. "There, I've finished my little dress, dearie, and the eighth baby can come as soon as it pleases."

Read more: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Anne%27s_House_of_Dreams/Chapter_8
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 11:47:40 AM

Neurons: 349,424
When my wife complained about me to my mother, the latter always replied:
- We can't choose the sort of a kid we are going to have as a son or daughter, but we must choose the person we are going to share our life together.
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 11:56:18 AM

Neurons: 349,424
Lucy Maud Montgomery is a highly recognized writer throughout Canada.
She received a beautiful place where a statue and a small scene is represented by a composition of arts near the Victoria Parliament Building in Victória, British Columbia. I recommend visiting this place.