The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

If there is one thing worse that the modern weakening of major morals, it is the modern strengthening of minor morals. Thus... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 67,842
If there is one thing worse that the modern weakening of major morals, it is the modern strengthening of minor morals. Thus it is considered more withering to accuse a man of bad taste than of bad ethics.

Gilbert Chesterton (1874-1936)
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 3:34:49 AM

Neurons: 2,101,622
Quotation of the Day

If there is one thing worse that the modern weakening of major morals, it is the modern strengthening of minor morals. Thus it is considered more withering to accuse a man of bad taste than of bad ethics.

pedro
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:29:03 AM

Neurons: 59,252
Safest option is to take no notice of them.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:39:07 AM

Neurons: 433,849
Daemon wrote:
If there is one thing worse thaN the modern weakening of major morals, it is the modern strengthening of minor morals. Thus it is considered more withering to accuse a man of bad taste than of bad ethics.

I consider typos not as bad taste. Mmm. Scarcely.
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:16:48 AM

Neurons: 944,490
Ingenious and smart observation.
Leo Sunday Alabo
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:31:36 AM

Neurons: 364
Pursuing shadow rather than the object. Are we afraid to face the truth, or just being hypocritical? In a way, we don't want to be too critical of others on the real issues, in order not to incur people's anger and possible loss of relationships. It is easier to fault people on minor issues, for the sake of good neighbourliness and friendship. Unconsciously, for the good or bad reason, we favour not being too critical of others in order to retain good relationships, or not showing a holier than thou attitude.
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:57:55 AM

Neurons: 143,017
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. The law of conservation of morals states that the total volume of morals on planet Earth remains the same...
IMcRout
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:02:30 PM

Neurons: 505,708
I am sure G.K.C. wrote 'worse than' and not the modern US version 'worse that'.

(Or was that the 'typo' alluded to above, which I could not find a mention of?)

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:11:24 PM

Neurons: 92,454
English author

with my pleasure
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:40:50 PM

Neurons: 242,484
In other words taking the bowl of hot soup from a lame beggar becomes a minor moral issue, while slurping the soup by the assailing brute is
considered an intolerable, major act of bad taste.

monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:47:38 PM

Neurons: 3,869,175

Context from : Delphi Complete Works of G. K. Tremendous Trifles

On lying in bed

The tone now commonly taken toward the practice of lying in bed is hypocritical and unhealthy. Of all the marks of modernity that seem to mean a kind of decadence, there is none more menacing and dangerous than the exultation of very small and secondary matters of conduct at the expense of very great and primary ones, at the expense of eternal ties and tragic human morality. If there is one thing worse than the modern weakening of major morals, it is the modern strengthening of minor morals. Thus it is considered more withering to accuse a man of bad taste than of bad ethics. Cleanliness is not next to godliness nowadays, for cleanliness is made essential and godliness is regarded as an offence. A playwright can attack the institution of marriage so long as he does not misrepresent the manners of society, and I have met Ibsenite pessimists who thought it wrong to take beer but right to take prussic acid. Especially this is so in matters of hygiene; notably such matters as lying in bed. Instead of being regarded, as it ought to be, as a matter of personal convenience and adjustment, it has come to be regarded by many as if it were a part of essential morals to get up early in the morning. It is upon the whole part of practical wisdom; but there is nothing good about it or bad about its opposite.

Read more : http://essays.quotidiana.org/chesterton/lying_in_bed/