The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Without self-confidence we are as babes in the cradles. And how can we generate this imponderable quality, which is yet so... Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,139
Without self-confidence we are as babes in the cradles. And how can we generate this imponderable quality, which is yet so invaluable, most quickly? By thinking that other people are inferior to oneself.

Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
Tauqeer Hussain
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:33:06 AM

Neurons: 83,552
Daemon wrote:
Without self-confidence we are as babes in the cradles. And how can we generate this imponderable quality, which is yet so invaluable, most quickly? By thinking that other people are inferior to oneself.

devac
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 2:19:54 AM

Neurons: 27,378
I don't want to be a 'hater', but isn't it like the fourth quote from her this month alone? A good quote is a good quote, no denying that and definitely what I'm arguing. It just popped at me and I barely pay any attention to names.

Is there some background reason of which I'm not aware? Like an anniversary or something like that?
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 3:10:46 AM

Neurons: 2,747,965
Quotation of the Day

Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 5:47:39 AM

Neurons: 197,023
Daemon wrote:

Nah. It is a road to nowhere, if you are trying to get self-confidence through lies...
zina antoaneta
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:19:55 AM

Neurons: 158,987
Bully_rus wrote:
Daemon wrote:

Nah. It is a road to nowhere, if you are trying to get self-confidence through lies...

Well, it works!
History is full of examples of its application: casts, social hierarchies, social policies, political systems, economies, conquering wars, crusades etc. All based on this simple principle!
Leo Sunday Alabo
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 8:57:55 AM

Neurons: 364
Self-confidence is an essential quality of man. Without it, we are like newborn babies lying in our cradles. The only way we can acquire self-confidence quickly, is by thinking that other people are inferior to us.

Comment: However, by thinking that others are inferior to us, we may become conceited, thereby look down on other people. Therefore,it is up to us (mankind) to use our assumed superiority positively.
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 1:43:50 PM

Neurons: 92,454
English novelist

with my pleasure
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 1:56:56 PM

Neurons: 243,209
From 'A Room of One's Own', Chapter 2: "Possibly when the professor insisted a little too emphatically upon the inferiority of women, he was concerned not with their inferiority, but with his own superiority. That was what he was protecting rather hot-headedly and with too much emphasis, because it was a jewel to him of the rarest price. Life for both sexes—and I looked at them, shouldering their way along the pavement—is arduous, difficult, a perpetual struggle. It calls for gigantic courage and strength. More than anything, perhaps, creatures of illusion as we are, it calls for confidence in oneself. Without self-confidence we are as babes in the cradle. And how can we generate this imponderable quality, which is yet so invaluable, most quickly? By thinking that other people are inferior to one self. By feeling that one has some innate superiority—it may be wealth, or rank, a straight nose, or the portrait of a grandfather by Romney—for there is no end to the pathetic devices of the human imagination—over other people."

That self-confidence is illusory; it is measured against a conveniently low threshold defined so by a "self" affraid of heights.

monamagda
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 4:47:06 PM

Neurons: 4,768,673
Context from : A room of one’s own

Two

Possibly when the professor insisted a little too emphatically upon the inferiority of women, he was concerned not with their inferiority, but with his own superiority. That was what he was protecting rather hot-headedly and with too much emphasis, because it was a jewel to him of the rarest price. Life for both sexes—and I looked at them, shouldering their way along the pavement—is arduous, difficult, a perpetual struggle. It calls for gigantic courage and strength. More than anything, perhaps, creatures of illusion as we are, it calls for confidence in oneself. Without self-confidence we are as babes in the cradle. And how can we generate this imponderable quality, which is yet so invaluable, most quickly? By thinking that other people are inferior to one self. By feeling that one has some innate superiority—it may be wealth, or rank, a straight nose, or the portrait of a grandfather by Romney—for there is no end to the pathetic devices of the human imagination—over other people. Hence the enormous importance to a patriarch who has to conquer, who has to rule, of feeling that great numbers of people, half the human race indeed, are by nature inferior to himself. It must indeed be one of the chief sources of his power. But let me turn the light of this observation on to real life, I thought. Does it help to explain some of those psychological puzzles that one notes in the margin of daily life? Does it explain my astonishment of the other day when Z, most humane, most modest of men, taking up some book by Rebecca West and reading a passage in it, exclaimed, ‘The arrant feminist! She says that men are snobs!’ The exclamation, to me so surprising—for why was Miss West an arrant feminist for making a possibly true if uncomplimentary statement about the other sex?—was not merely the cry of wounded vanity; it was a protest against some infringement of his power to believe in himself. Women have served all these centuries as looking-glasses possessing the magic and delicious power of reflecting the figure of man at twice its natural size. Without that power probably the earth would still be swamp and jungle. The glories of all our wars would he unknown. We should still be scratching the outlines of deer on the remains of mutton bones and bartering flints for sheep skins or whatever simple ornament took our unsophisticated taste. Supermen and Fingers of Destiny would never have existed. The Czar and the Kaiser would never have worn crowns or lost them.

Read more : https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/w/woolf/virginia/w91r/chapter2.html
Sue Dalziel
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 7:01:17 PM

Neurons: 36,246
It is apparent to me that most people are missing the point, this quote is more a statement of reality than a recommendation. There are so many people who rather than look to oneself and work to both improve and believe in oneself find the quick fix of looking down on others the way to go. This is not meant to put others down but rather as a wake-up call. Thanks for the quotes they get the brainwaves vibrating.
zina antoaneta
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 7:22:53 PM

Neurons: 158,987
Sue Dalziel wrote:
It is apparent to me that most people are missing the point, this quote is more a statement of reality than a recommendation. There are so many people who rather than look to oneself and work to both improve and believe in oneself find the quick fix of looking down on others the way to go. This is not meant to put others down but rather as a wake-up call. Thanks for the quotes they get the brainwaves vibrating.

VW made such a remarkably astute and mind boggling observation!
But I don't think that we were missing the point: a presumptuous illusion makes the world go round?!...