The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is Jesus really exist in history? Options
Trichakra
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:46:34 AM

Neurons: 161
Hi

What is the evidence that Jesus exist in history?
desca
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2016 7:22:15 PM

Neurons: 9,403
I recommend you to read on the history of the Roman Empire, unless you don't believe that the empire ever existed.

It's almost as similar as inquiring whether Moses ever existed in pharaoh's time while the pyramid is still standing sturdy until now.
Xxx Xxx 1
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:54:59 AM

Neurons: 28
desca wrote:
I recommend you to read on the history of the Roman Empire, unless you don't believe that the empire ever existed.

It's almost as similar as inquiring whether Moses ever existed in pharaoh's time while the pyramid is still standing sturdy until now.

The North Pole exists..... so Santa exists, right?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:03:22 AM

Neurons: 307,603
Quite many scholars of antiquity and Jewish and Roman history agree that Jesus of Nazareth really existed. Whether he was Messias and Son of God, is another thing.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Xxx Xxx 1
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:03:57 AM

desca wrote:

How do the pyramids prove that Moses existed exactly? I don't understand that logic, I must be missing some information that is obvious to you.
Xxx Xxx 1
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:06:36 AM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Quite many scholars of antiquity and Jewish and Roman history agree that Jesus of Nazareth really existed. Whether he was Messias and Son of God, is another thing.

Agreed.

So what evidence can those "Quite many scholars of antiquity and Jewish and Roman history" provide us with, to show Trichakra what they based their conclusions on?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:14:43 AM

Neurons: 307,603
You can start with this TFD/Wiki article of Historical Jesus, and then continue by reading the sources.

"...

Evidence of Jesus

There is no physical or archaeological evidence for Jesus. All sources are documentary, mainly Christian writings, such as the gospels and the purported letters of the apostles. The authenticity and reliability of these sources has been questioned by many scholars, and few events mentioned in the gospels are universally accepted.[39]

In conjunction with biblical sources, three mentions of Jesus in non-Christian sources have been used in the historical analyses of the existence of Jesus.[40] These are two passages in the writings of the Jewish historian Josephus, and one from the Roman historian Tacitus.[40][41]

Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews, written around 93–94 AD, includes two references to the biblical Jesus Christ in Books 18 and 20. The general scholarly view is that while the longer passage, known as the Testimonium Flavianum, is most likely not authentic in its entirety, it is broadly agreed upon that it originally consisted of an authentic nucleus, which was then subject to Christian interpolation.[42][43] Of the other mention in Josephus, Josephus scholar Louis H. Feldman has stated that "few have doubted the genuineness" of Josephus' reference to Jesus in Antiquities 20, 9, 1 and it is only disputed by a small number of scholars.[44][45][46][47]

Roman historian Tacitus referred to Christus and his execution by Pontius Pilate in his Annals (written c. AD 116), book 15, chapter 44.[48] Robert E. Van Voorst states that the very negative tone of Tacitus' comments on Christians make the passage extremely unlikely to have been forged by a Christian scribe[49] and Boyd and Eddy state that the Tacitus reference is now widely accepted as an independent confirmation of Christ's crucifixion,[50] although some scholars question the authenticity of the passage on various grounds.[51]

Other considerations outside Christendom are the possible mentions of Jesus in the Talmud. The Talmud speaks in some detail of the conduct of criminal cases of Israel and gathered in one place from 200-500 C.E. "On the eve of the Passover Yeshua was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried, "He is going forth to be stoned because he has practised sorcery and enticed Israel to apostacy." The first date of the Sanhedrin judiciary council being recorded as functioning is 57 B.C.E.[52]

Two widely accepted historical facts

Almost all modern scholars consider his baptism and crucifixion to be historical facts.[9][53]

..."

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:32:48 AM

Neurons: 4,628
Dennis Chen
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 2:19:21 PM

Neurons: 16,100
History books say that he did exist, but it's hard to prove it now.

Proud sponsor of the Kutztown Middle School Jazz Band
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:31:47 AM

Neurons: 58,999
If I went to put some flowers on my mother's grave and found that it had been dug up, I wouldn't rejoice and go looking for her in the shopping mall.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:22:00 AM

Neurons: 348,109
pedro wrote:
If I went to put some flowers on my mother's grave and found that it had been dug up, I wouldn't rejoice and go looking for her in the shopping mall.

Of course you wouldn't, Pedro. Neither did Mary Magdalene when she found Jesus' tomb empty. Mary wept - John 20:13. But if you later met your mother alive and well in the Garden Centre you would rejoice. As did Mary when she later met Jesus.

I remember, therefore I am.