The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Jonathan Swift (1667) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,768
Jonathan Swift (1667)

Known as one of the greatest satirists in the English language, Swift was an ordained Anglican priest who devoted himself to exposing England's unfair treatment of his native Ireland. In his ironic 1729 tract "A Modest Proposal," he suggested that the Irish escape poverty by selling their children to by eaten by the English. His classic Gulliver's Travels is a ruthless satire of human follies. Swift once mocked a publisher of astrological predictions by making what prediction of his own? More...
taurine
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:04:45 AM

Neurons: 54,578
Even Jonathan Swift had his dark side. . .offering to remain if Jane Waring would marry him and promising to leave and never return to Ireland if she refused.
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:16:03 AM

Neurons: 2,525,605
What do you mean by "his dark side"? Can't blame people to value love the most among life, freedom and love.Boo hoo! I would be surprised if he does not have his dark side.

I find this an interesting read: http://www.authorama.com/famous-affinities-of-history-iv-1.html
taurine
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:04:22 PM

Neurons: 54,578
By "dark side" I meant a temporary loss of judgment.

Three years later...
(H)e accepted the lesser post of secretary and chaplain to the Earl of Berkeley, one of the Lords Justices of Ireland. However, when he reached Ireland he found that the secretaryship had already been given to another. But he soon obtained the living of Laracor, Agher, and Rathbeggan, and the prebend of Dunlavin in St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin.

In the result I cannot blame J.S at all that he valued love the most among life, freedom and love.

Why? Because this is not true that J.S. valued love the most among life, freedom and love. Especially not between life or freedom.

Gary98

The beginning of the story, accessed through the link supplied by you, induces me to suspect that some unexplained fervor which previously overwhelmed Jonathan Swift had become part of lives two other women. The story of Jonathan Swift and of the two women who gave their lives for love of him...
I don't understand how women can give their lives for love of a man. Regardless of their number, were it two women or one, only.

I understand behavior of a woman saving endangered life belonging to a man.
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:13:24 PM

Neurons: 84,045
Anglo-Irish satirist

with my pleasure
fhaubert
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:53:52 PM

Neurons: 40,843
As Viagens de Gulliver. Grande livro da minha adolescência.