The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Ralph Lauren (1939) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,081
Ralph Lauren (1939)

Lauren began designing ties while working as a tie salesman and opened his own business in 1967. His first menswear line, under the Polo name, debuted the next year, and the mesh sport shirt—featuring an emblem of a polo player—would become his signature piece. His expensive creations evoke the look of the English aristocracy as adopted by the East-Coast American elite. His label also appears on furnishings, tableware, and luggage. What made him change his last name to Lauren? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:36:57 AM

Neurons: 1,975,780
Today's Birthday
Ralph Lauren (1939)
Lauren began designing ties while working as a tie salesman and opened his own business in 1967. His first menswear line, under the Polo name, debuted the next year, and the mesh sport shirt—featuring an emblem of a polo player—would become his signature piece. His expensive creations evoke the look of the English aristocracy as adopted by the East-Coast American elite. His label also appears on furnishings, tableware, and luggage.
Potso Molebatsi
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:26:20 AM

Neurons: 26,572
Ralph Lauren (1939)
Lauren began designing ties while working as a tie salesman and opened his own business in 1967. His first menswear line, under the Polo name, debuted the next year, and the mesh sport shirt—featuring an emblem of a polo player—would become his signature piece. His expensive creations evoke the look of the English aristocracy as adopted by the East-Coast American elite. His label also appears on furnishings, tableware, and luggage. What made him change his last name to Lauren?
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 3:37:02 AM

Neurons: 68,526
Ralph Lauren
Also found in: Acronyms.
Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren 3x4.jpg
Lauren in his office 1979 by Edgar de Evia
Born Ralph Lifshitz
October 14, 1939
Bronx, New York, U.S.
Nationality American
Education John Jay College
Occupation Fashion designer
Spouse(s) Ricky Anne Loew-Beer (1964–present)
Children 3
Awards Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur
Labels Polo Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren (born Ralph Lifshitz October 14, 1939 in New York City) is an American fashion designer and business executive, best known for his Polo Ralph Lauren clothing brand, and a global multi-billion-dollar enterprise. He has become well known for his collection of rare automobiles, some of which have been displayed in museum exhibits. As of September 2012, Forbes estimates his wealth at $6.5 billion dollars, which makes Ralph Lauren the 162nd richest person in the world.[1]
Early life and education

Ralph Lauren (pronounced LAW-ren) was born Ralph Lifshitz in the Bronx, New York,[2] to Ashkenazi Jewish immigrants, from Pinsk, Belarus[3] Fraydl (née Kotlar) and Frank Lifshitz, a house painter.[4]

Lauren attended the Baruch College followed by MTA (now known as the Marsha Stern Talmudical Academy), before eventually graduating from DeWitt Clinton High School in 1957.[5][6] He has said he had had heroes such as John F. Kennedy and James Stewart, hoping to acquire a "movie star" type of personality.[7] In MTA Lauren was known by his classmates for selling ties to his fellow students. In a later interview about his early ambitions he referred to[8] his Clinton yearbook, in which it stated under his picture that he wanted to be a millionaire.[9]

Born Ralph Lifshitz, he changed his surname to Lauren when he was 15 years old[citation needed]. “My given name has the word shit in it,” he told Oprah Winfrey. “When I was a kid, the other kids would make a lot of fun of me. It was a tough name. That's why I decided to change it. Then people said, "Did you change your name because you don't want to be Jewish?" I said, "Absolutely not. That's not what it's about. My cousins who lived in California had changed their last name to Lawrence. So I just thought, "I'm going to pick a nice last name"—it wasn't particularly connected to anything or anyone."[10]

with my pleasure
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 12:34:52 PM

Neurons: 3,720,331

At the age of 16, Ralph and his brother Jerry changed their last name to Lauren after having been teased consistently at school. Another brother, Lenny, retained the family name.