Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ecumenical
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:16:36 PM
The meaning of words evolve. ‘Catholic,’ although meaning ‘universal,’ would more often than less refer to the ‘Catholic’ church, although I have seen it used to mean ‘universal’. Same with ‘ecumenical’; it’s meaning has more to do with various Christian denominations getting together on certain occasions for a common cause. It may also be used in the religious context of not just Christian faiths, but all faiths joining in together for a common cause (as someone here already mentioned).

It was always curious to me while growing up in a Mormon household why the Mormon church, which adamantly insists that it is a Christian religion, was always very hesitant to join ecumenical causes like many other denominations. That may be changing, though, as the Mormon church continues to become more mainstream, i.e., it is moving away from some of its foundational doctrines that for many were not typically Christian, for example, members can progress to eventually become gods like God the Father.
Topic: Brigham Young (1801)
Posted: Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:45:56 AM
Mmm... he got that right: Bring'em young. 55 wives indeed. Not exactly my kind of Jesus fellow, especially for a leader (prophet aka 'profit' of a so-called Christian church.
Topic: NEVERTHELESS VS. BUT
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 7:11:21 AM
Note: 'look' not 'loke'

In this case I would use 'nevertheless' because it emphasizes a direct concern of a quandary (issue, or problem) that you are going to ignore and so in this case, continue looking for a new car regardless of the quandary, issue or problem. Using 'but' is still grammatically correct, but a weaker version of 'nevertheless', which, *can* mean that you may or may not look for a new car. It's not as certain as 'nevertheless'.

As for the second statement, 'but' should be used because it's not as certain (about the prices).
Topic: Possessions Weigh on the Elderly
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 12:08:19 AM
I'm 65 and sometimes I don't think it would be so bad if a fire came along and burned everything I have--computer files, writings, photos--everything!!. It would be like a rebirth, starting out with a clean, empty slate again. There are so many things that I would never purchase or accumulate again. I'd keep it very simple next time. But to get to that point by my own will, now that I have all of this stuff (and a lot of it quite expensive), it's hard to let it go.
Topic: "years experience" scritto 2 volte nella stessa frase
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:07:48 PM
I have nine years experience currently working in retail sales. Prior to this I worked as a truck driver for three years.

I have nine years experience working in retail sales, and three years prior employment driving trucks for a domestic cartage company.

Saying: “I have nine years experience as a retail sales person, and three years experience working as a truck driver,” is correct as well, but not my ‘style’ or preference.
Topic: What was here first God or our universe?
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 3:47:23 PM
There is no ‘first’ with regard to ‘God’. As the creator of the Universe, whatever our concept of God may be, i.e., It, He, She, He/She, whatever or whomever, exists outside of time and space (our Universe) in order to have created it. Trying to conceptualize such an entity would be like an amoeba trying to conceptualize a human being. The gap is just too large for us in our present moment. Maybe if we eventually migrate to a higher plane or dimension (a post-life existence) things may be different. But right now as ‘mere mortals’ it’s futile. We imagine and think we have some answers, but in reality if what we imagine is regarded as capital T truth, we are only deluding ourselves.

Just my thoughts.
Topic: I love to write.
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 3:24:48 PM
This is true; over-edinting can take away from the original emotion when recording something in writing. You have to know when enough is enough. Begs the question: Can something be 'too' perfect? Perfection should be 100% right for what something is suppose to be. If something is 110% then it's no longer 'perfect'.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.