Profile: monamagda
About
User Name: monamagda
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7,584
[0.78% of all post / 3.47 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: There's none so blind as they that won't see.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:26:15 AM

• According to the ‘Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings’ this proverb has been traced back to 1546 (John Heywood), and resembles the Biblical verse Jeremiah 5:21 (‘Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not’). In 1738 it was used by Jonathan Swift in his ‘Polite Conversation’ and is first attested in the United States in the 1713 ‘Works of Thomas Chalkley’. The full saying is: ‘There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know’.

http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/richard/abditorium/nonesoblind.htm

Topic: Ondine
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 10:29:53 AM

Breathing can sometimes be abnormal from birth. In a rare genetic condition, referred to as Ondine's curse, the breathing difficulty can be serious and even life-threatening. Explore some of the potential causes of Ondine's curse and how it can be effectively treated.

What Is Ondine's Curse?

Ondine’s curse—more appropriately known as congenital central hypoventilation syndrome or CCHS—is a rare, severe form of sleep apnea in which an individual completely stops breathing when falling asleep. It is usually congenital, meaning that it is present from birth. It may be noted in the neonatal unit after delivery.

Central sleep apnea is characterized by the brainstem failing to prompt normal breathing. This seems to be due to a decreased responsiveness to high levels of carbon dioxide and low oxygen levels within the blood. This becomes especially dangerous during sleep.

Read more: https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-ondines-curse-and-how-can-it-be-treated-3014797
Topic: appellation
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 10:14:04 AM
Topic: self-righteous
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 4:49:11 PM
Topic: Perpetual Motion
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 4:50:38 PM
Topic: teetotal
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 4:47:35 PM
Topic: hard knocks
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 6:31:46 AM
Topic: We ought to see far enough into a hypocrite to see even his sincerity.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 6:11:40 AM
Context from: Heretics

Mr. H. G. Wells and the Giants

We ought to see far enough into a hypocrite to see even his sincerity. We ought to be interested in the darkest and most real part of a man in which in which dwell not the vices that he does not display, but the virtues he cannot. And the more that we approach the problems of our human history with this keen interest with keen and keen and piercing charity, the smaller space we allow to pure hypocrisy of any kind. The hypocrites shall not deceive us into thinking them saints ; but neither shall they deceive them hypocrites. And an increasing number of cases number will crowd into our field of inquiry, cases in which there is no really no question of hypocrisy at all, cases in which people were so ingenuous that they seemed absurd, and so absurd they seemed disingenuous.

There is one striking instance of unfair charge of hypocrisy. It is always urged against the religious in the past, as a point of inconsistency and duplicity, that they combined a profession of almost crawling humility with a keen struggle for earthly success and considerable triumph in attaining it. It is felt as a piece of humbug, that a man should be very punctilious in calling himself a miserable sinner, and also very punctilious in calling himself King of France. But the truth is that there is no more conscious inconsistency between the humility of a Christian and the rapacity of a Christian than between the humility of a lover and the rapacity of a lover. The truth is that there are no things of which they know they are unworthy. There never was a man in love who did not declare that, if he strained every nerve to breaking, he was going to have his desire. And there never was a man in love who did not declare also that he ought not to have it. The whole secret of the practical success of Christendom lies in the Christian humility, however imperfectly fulfilled. For with the removal of all question of merit or payment, the soul is suddenly released for incredible voyages. If we ask a sane man how much he merits, his mind shrinks instinctively and instantaneously. It is doubtful whether he merits six feet of earth. But if you ask him what he can conquer-he can conquer the stars. Thus comes the thing called romance a purely Christian product. A man cannot deserve adventures ; he cannot deserve adventures ; he cannot deserve adventures ; he cannot earn dragons and hippogriffs. The mediaeval Europe which asserted humility gained Romance has gained the habitable globe. How different the Pagan and Stoical feeling was from this been admirably expressed in a famous quotation. Addison makes the great Stoic say-

"'Tis not in mortals to command success ; But we'll do more, Sempronius, we'll deserve it."

Read more:https://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Gilbert_K_Chesterton/Heretics/Mr_H_G_Wells_and_the_Giants_p1.html

Topic: hard done-by
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 4:22:15 PM
Topic: There is a God in Heaven who will not forget to punish the wicked or reward the good; and it is not fitting that honest men...
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 6:37:39 AM

Context from:Don Quixote

Part 1

Chapter XXII

"From all you have told me, dear brethren, make out clearly that though they have punished you for your faults, the punishments you are about to endure do not give you much pleasure, and that you go to them very much against the grain and against your will, and that perhaps this one's want of courage under torture, that one's want of money, the other's want of advocacy, and lastly the perverted judgment of the judge may have been the cause of your ruin and of your failure to obtain the justice you had on your side. All which presents itself now to my mind, urging, persuading, and even compelling me to demonstrate in your case the purpose for which Heaven sent me into the world and caused me to make profession of the order of chivalry to which I belong, and the vow I took therein to give aid to those in need and under the oppression of the strong. But as I know that it is a mark of prudence not to do by foul means what may be done by fair, I will ask these gentlemen, the guards and commissary, to be so good as to release you and let you go in peace, as there will be no lack of others to serve the king under more favourable circumstances; for it seems to me a hard case to make slaves of those whom God and nature have made free. Moreover, sirs of the guard," added Don Quixote, "these poor fellows have done nothing to you; let each answer for his own sins yonder; there is a God in Heaven who will not forget to punish the wicked or reward the good; and it is not fitting that honest men should be the instruments of punishment to others, they being therein no way concerned. This request I make thus gently and quietly, that, if you comply with it, I may have reason for thanking you; and, if you will not voluntarily, this lance and sword together with the might of my arm shall compel you to comply with it by force."

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/d/don-quixote/summary-and-analysis/part-1-chapter-xxixxiv/part-1-chapter-xxixxiv-5