I already knew this word. Applause
Topic: hidebound
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 7:22:26 AM
Believe it or not I'm not a hidebound person Whistle
Topic: eldritch
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 11:39:38 AM
rogermue wrote:
To Peaceful

The answer is simple. I studied English and French at the university to become a teacher. But then I found out that I would not stay three weeks in a state school. So I did something else. But my interest for languages remained and in middle life I gave private lessons in English for adult persons. I had a small private school in Munich. I did this for about 15 years. But even now I read more books in English than in German.

But I would never say or dare to say that I speak better English than a native speaker. Far from it. For me English is a foreign language and it will stay a foreign language, even if I know a bit about that language.
But you may believe me that I read the posts of Dragon or thar or others with interest and I learn from them a lot I didn't know before.

Amazing!!!! I'm talking to a teacher :) It is difficult to learn a foreign language and doing PHD Just by reading books in college or university, and I think only hard working students do this. Now you are a teacher, you knows that better.
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 8:09:42 AM
Thanks for answering me MTC I think I should read some of their novels, you can too become a good writer :).
Topic: Haiku Fun
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 1:16:57 PM
A gift from the boss
should not be a pizza Not talking
It should be a burger
Shhh
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:16:14 AM
rogermue wrote:
English clearly has too many words. That would be the fate of any other world language. From everywhere, form any place and country words flow into English and are registered in dictionaries. But it can't be the aim of an ESL-speaker or EFL-speaker (second language/foreign language) to know all these words in the dictionaries.

I once read a statement about this matter by a British author. If you knew 50,000 words that would be a lot. But you easily find another 50,000 words you've never seen or heard of in your life.

And, I think, this must be a bit frustrating that you continually find words you don't know. I think, in my mother-tongue German, we don't have this effect of being overfraught with foreign words.

But of course, you find them in special areas of language as advertisements, the computer and internet sector and other sectors where a new vocabulary comes into being. But after some time we assimilate these foreign words and often coin our own ones.

So no one in this universe knows complete English language. Your mother tongue was German, so how did you learn english, is it possible a person who is not a native speaker but learn english better than a native speaker...
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 3:48:52 AM
rogermue wrote:
Would be interesting to know how many native speakers haven't heard this queer word in their life.

Google N-gram viewer for "eldritch"
Link

The percentage of frequency is 0,000 002
If I'm not mistaken you have to read one million words then you will find "eldritch" two times. According to my guess that would mean you have to read ten novels with 300 pages then you might find the word "eldritch" or not. That is the word is extemely rare. I suppose it is a dictionary "cadaver" and authors find it via thesaurus dictionaries and use it to astonish readers with their knowledge of rare words. But such tricks don't impress me. Really good authors have an excellent feeling for words that are used and words that nobody knows.

PS According to my research Shakepeare does not make use of this word.
Link
That is not absolutely sure. Shakespeare might have a spelling different from the spelling used today.

The BNC (British National Corpus) is a collection of about 100 million words of modern English. If you search for a special word it normally gives you 50 random examples of usage.
For "eldritch" you get just ten meagre examples.

Wow!!!!!!!!! Thanks for info , then I don't need to know more about this word, if it is that uncommon.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 1:40:00 AM
Give me the sentence examples please!!!