User Name: RamufAznag
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 321
[0.04% of all post / 0.20 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Democracy... is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder; and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and...
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:33:27 AM
Topic: Does this phrase make sense?
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:10:34 PM
I don't think so! I'd rather say:

The (two) consecutively coloured (rows of / columns of / groups of) cubes are...
Topic: Faculty or Faculties ?
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 6:40:48 AM
1. "The faculty is hereby informed / requested ... ", if you're addressing one faculty, and
2. "The faculties are hereby informed / requested ... ", if you're addressing more than one faculty.

Topic: face to face.
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:55:02 PM
The beggining of a pistol duel?

Topic: Does it need an article before "mind"?
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:47:33 PM
Only depending on how poetic you're feeling or on how you want the line to (re)sound.
By the way, what's the original version?
Topic: Giving chocolate
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:20:53 PM
OK, my view is as follows:
It think that Lent's (the christian fasting thing) day is somehow (by magic!) related to the day at which Carnival day is set in a given year, by christian logic. So John says "they love to give up chocolate temporarily" as a way to link (or is it confuse?) the ideas of fasting for religious purposes (Quaresma [Lent]) and fasting for tiny bikini fitness purposes (Carnaval [Carnival]).

By the way, thank you for the link to the show's playlist. John Oliver's ffunny!
Topic: home fruit
Posted: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 9:52:18 AM
I'd rather say national (or home, domestic...) produce.
And if you want, you can be more specific by using fructiferous produce.
Topic: cornice or not?
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:21:12 PM
Hi Khalid Sami!
The first one might be a corbel (possibly being a type of cornice). Anyway, just take a look at this page, browse through their products and decide what name you like best.
Topic: Illustrate This
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:46:16 PM
# 11: James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Hey Articulate Dreamer, what a coincidence... I've just finished reading it today! As was expected I loved it, it's a magnificent piece of literary art!

Yes, that's a moocow by the house. It's not coming down the road now, but just give it time and it will...

Baby Joyce

This is a photograph of my father meeting a cow. It was taken in 1916 which was coincidentally the year that Joyce published Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
The quotation is the first sentence of Portrait.

Fun fact: According to Urban Dictionary, moocows are different from regular cows.

#12: “Reshaping life! People who can say that have never understood a thing about life—they have never felt its breath, its heartbeat—however much they have seen or done. They look on it as a lump of raw material that needs to be processed by them, to be ennobled by their touch. But life is never a material, a substance to be molded. If you want to know, life is the principle of self-renewal, it is constantly renewing and remaking and changing and transfiguring itself, it is infinitely beyond your or my obtuse theories about it.”
Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

Topic: Forgotten idiom
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:03:27 AM
coasting

And also found this:

John 4:38 (1611 King James Bible)
I sent you to reape that, whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and yee are entred into their labours.

And this: Taking Credit For Others Work Quotes

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.