Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,069
[0.11% of all post / 0.51 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: of/from different/diverse nationalities
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 12:33:11 PM
Hi, I would please ask you if the options in bold are correct in the following:
She is very experience in a multi-national environment: she lived and worked in [country'name] for X years being in contact with people of/from different/diverse nationalities. She found such/this environment very stimulating, and a significant factor in her professional and personal growth. Since the companies sponsoring the program have many/(a lot of) international opportunities, she believe/finds it/that to be one of the most significant upsides to doing/(embarking on) it/(the program).
Topic: earned vs obtained vs achieved at
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:26:04 AM
sureshot wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is more appropriate (using, if possible, different expressions for the two sentences) in the following (it is a bullet list):
- PhD in Chemical Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of Chicago
- Master's Degree in Process Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of California

To me, the use of "earned" is the usual word in both your examples.

Hi sureshot, and thank you for your advice. And, is the use of preposition at correct after "earned"?
What could a possible synonym of "earned" be?
Topic: earned vs obtained vs achieved at
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:10:46 PM
Hi, I would please ask you which of the options in bold is more appropriate (using, if possible, different expressions for the two sentences) in the following (it is a bullet list):
- PhD in Chemical Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of Chicago
- Master's Degree in Process Engineering earned/obtained/achieved at the University of California
Topic: has seen (a?) radical transformation
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 8:17:03 AM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Hi Drag0nspeaker and coag, and thank you for your suggestions. May I also please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
It should then be thoroughly investigated the reasons why the card has not yet had a significant use from the customers.

If I may answer, this is a very awkward sentence. I would suggest rewording it. Something like: "The reasons why the card has not had significant use by customers should be investigated".

Thank you, FounDit. And, if you want to employ an impersonal construction, can you do it by using the singular form reason, as follows:
It should be thoroughly investigated the reason why the card has not yet had a significant use from (the) customers.
Is it correct to use from in place of by before customers?
Topic: witnessed/exemplified
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 9:37:23 AM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
May I please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
"strong desire" is a bit more forceful than "attracted to", but both will work.

My suggestions:

I (have a strong desire to work)/(am attracted to working) at X Inc. because of the bank’s global reach and its capacity to offer bespoke and innovative solutions in derivatives markets. Such capacity is exemplified by X Inc.’s recent development of a end-to-end collateral solution using Z software which (it clear that refers to solution? will provide (the?) bank’s clients with support in/with the TU calculation and reconciliation needs for non-cleared margin rules.

I think since the solution is achieved using Z software that it is clear enough, but I'm not sure what to say about the remainder of the sentence. I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on whether or not this solution will provide support for clients, or provide them with their TU calculation and reconciliation needs. These seem to be two different things to me.

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your advice. May I please ask you if the following expressions in bold are correct in the following (even considering to split the sentence into two):
The solid and comprehensive professional skills developed in this career path - further enhanced by the learning opportunities derived from being part of an international team which, combining globally deep industry expertise with local experience, would permit me to appreciate the regional differences within/of the derivatives market - can lead to professional qualifications.

I think splitting it into two parts would definitely improve it. As it stands now, it is a confusing sentence.

This is just one way to do that:

The learning opportunities of this solid and professional career path are many. Derived from being part of an international team with local and global industry expertise in derivative markets, this path permits an appreciation for the regional differences of that market, and can lead to professional qualifications.

Thank you, FounDit, for your helpful suggestions. What do you think about the modifications in bold:
Derived from being part of an international team with both global industry expertise and local experience in derivative markets, this path permits an appreciation for (shouldn't it be of?) the regional differences of that market, and can lead to professional qualifications.
Which preposition in bold would you use in the expression:
I am attracted to working at X Inc. by/(because of) the bank’s global reach and ...
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 10:02:35 AM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
"strong desire" is a bit more forceful than "attracted to", but both will work.

My suggestions:

I (have a strong desire to work)/(am attracted to working) at X Inc. because of the bank’s global reach and its capacity to offer bespoke and innovative solutions in derivatives markets. Such capacity is exemplified by X Inc.’s recent development of a end-to-end collateral solution using Z software which (it clear that refers to solution? will provide (the?) bank’s clients with support in/with the TU calculation and reconciliation needs for non-cleared margin rules.

I think since the solution is achieved using Z software that it is clear enough, but I'm not sure what to say about the remainder of the sentence. I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on whether or not this solution will provide support for clients, or provide them with their TU calculation and reconciliation needs. These seem to be two different things to me.

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your advice. May I please ask you if the following expressions in bold are correct in the following (even considering to split the sentence into two):
The solid and comprehensive professional skills developed in this career path - further enhanced by the learning opportunities derived from being part of an international team which, combining globally deep industry expertise with local experience, would permit me to appreciate the regional differences within/of the derivatives market - can lead to professional qualifications.

Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 9:05:54 AM
I (have a strong desire to work)/(am attracted to working) at X Inc. because of the bank’s global reach and its capacity/capability to offer bespoke and innovative solutions in derivatives markets. That/This/Such capacity/capability is witnessed/exemplified by X Inc.’s recent development of a end-to-end collateral solution using Z software which (it clear that refers to solution? will provide (the?) bank’s clients with support in/with the TU calculation and reconciliation needs for non-cleared margin rules.

Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 9:29:53 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi Carmenex.
I'll have a go.
As usual, your passage is not in my usual (rather simplified) idiom - but I can understand it.

I also believe that, whilst the derivatives space has seen (a?) radical transformation in the last decade with the introduction/approval of regulatory reforms aiming to reduce credit and market risk, the derivatives market continues to play/playing a vital role in/within the global financial system. In fact, studies conducted on the four major economies, which have a mature derivatives market, indicate that it has served/served not only as an effective hedging instrument but also (has?) had a positive effect on economic growth.

I would use the "a" before "radical", though it would also be correct to omit it ('transformation' can be used either way). With other nouns, it would be better omitted ('derivatives space has seen radical reform in the last decade', for example).

"Introduction" sounds like the better choice.

"Aiming to" is correct - but "which aim to" would also be correct. You can choose.

Though "playing" is probably 'correct' by grammar rules, "to play" seems to fit better.

Both "in" and "within" are OK. I would say that "within" is slightly more formal, and fits the style of the paragraph.

"In fact" is OK - it shows that the following sentence supports (and increases) an opinion in the last sentence (that the derivatives market still plays a vital role).

I would use "has served" because it is still true up to present time.

In the last bit, I think that the 'has' could be omitted, but the sentence is made a little clearer if it is used. However, I would place it before the "also".

I also believe that, whilst the derivatives space has seen a radical transformation in the last decade with the introduction of regulatory reforms aiming to reduce credit and market risk, the derivatives market continues to play a vital role within the global financial system. In fact, studies conducted on the four major economies, which have a mature derivatives market, indicate that it has served not only as an effective hedging instrument but has also had a positive effect on economic growth.

It might also be suggested that (since you are talking about four major economies) you might say ". . . four major economies, which have mature derivatives markets . . .", but I'm not sure.

Hi Drag0nspeaker and coag, and thank you for your suggestions. May I also please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
It should then be thoroughly investigated the reasons why the card has not yet had a significant use from the customers.
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2019 8:49:46 AM
Hi, may I please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct:
I also believe that, whilst the derivatives space has seen (a?) radical transformation in the last decade with the introduction/approval of regulatory reforms aiming to reduce credit and market risk, the derivatives market continues to play/playing a vital role in/within the global financial system. In fact, studies conducted on the four major economies, which have a mature derivatives market, indicate that it has served/served not only as an effective hedging instrument but also (has?) had a positive effect on economic growth.
Topic: This would allow them to
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:31:54 AM
Hi FounDit, do you believe that the following expressions are idiomatic and natural, or do they exist different (and, possibly, more natural) ways to covey the same meaning:
I would like please to ask you if any decision about someone's application has been made.
I would like please to ask you what the outcome of someone's interview is.
I would like please to ask you if the following expressions in bold are correct: ...

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.