The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Carmenex
About
User Name: Carmenex
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Occupation:
Interests:
Gender: None Specified
Home Page
Statistics
Joined: Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Last Visit: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 12:23:18 PM
Number of Posts: 1,049
[0.11% of all post / 0.55 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: provide a suitable date and time vs suggest a different date (and time)
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 12:21:41 PM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Hi FounDit, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
I'm not sure you want to word it quite like this. It has the sense of a command, an order for her application to be processed, and to be interviewed by a company leader. I doubt that would accomplish what is desired. In applying for a position, a polite request would go much farther.

Also, I'm not sure if her "demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think outside the box" has previously been noted or described. If it has, then I wouldn't mention it again here.

Keeping most of your words, I suggest:


In view of these facts, she is exceedingly hopeful that her application will be processed and that she will be offered the opportunity to discuss her work with one of the company's leaders. If permitted, such an opportunity would allow her to further demonstrate her suitability for the position, in which she firmly believes she will excel, and be of great benefit to the company..


Thank you, FounDit, for your advice. Only two questions: with regard to her demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think outside the box, it has not previously been noted or described; therefore, can it be included as follows:
In view of these facts and others (or other ones?) (including her demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think out of box), she is ...
If her ingenuity and capacity to think out of the box has not been noted or demonstrated, how can these be included? It is simply an assertion with no evidence to back up such a statement.

Regarding the last part, I meant something slightly different:
If permitted, such an opportunity would allow her to further demonstrate her suitability for the position, in which she firmly believes she will excel, and about which (i.e. about her suitability for ...) the attendance of the selection process has reinforced her conviction.
What do you think about that?

I'm not clear on the "attendance of the selection process". Did she attend some type of selection process already, or does she believe that her suitability makes her a candidate for such a selection process? And how would she "attend" such a process? I'm not clear on what you want to say here.


Yes, she has already attended some type of selection process; and I want to say that the attendance of the selection process has reinforced her conviction about her suitability for the role. How would you include in the sentence:
If permitted, such an opportunity would allow her to further demonstrate her suitability for the position, in which she firmly believes she will excel, and about which (i.e. about her suitability for ...) the attendance of the selection process has reinforced her conviction.


Hmmm, well, I think I might move that latter part. I'm trying to keep as much as your own wording as possible, but make it read a bit smoother.

I suggest something like:

If permitted, such an opportunity would allow her to further demonstrate her suitability for the position, since attendance at the selection process has reinforced her firm belief that she will excel in the position.


Thank you, FounDit, for your suggestions. I noticed that you omitted the before attendance, would it be incorrect including it?
With regard to In view of these facts and others (including ...), I understand your reasoning; however, from a linguistic point of view, is the expression correct, or should or other ones be used?
Topic: provide a suitable date and time vs suggest a different date (and time)
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 11:45:11 AM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Hi FounDit, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
I'm not sure you want to word it quite like this. It has the sense of a command, an order for her application to be processed, and to be interviewed by a company leader. I doubt that would accomplish what is desired. In applying for a position, a polite request would go much farther.

Also, I'm not sure if her "demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think outside the box" has previously been noted or described. If it has, then I wouldn't mention it again here.

Keeping most of your words, I suggest:


In view of these facts, she is exceedingly hopeful that her application will be processed and that she will be offered the opportunity to discuss her work with one of the company's leaders. If permitted, such an opportunity would allow her to further demonstrate her suitability for the position, in which she firmly believes she will excel, and be of great benefit to the company..


Thank you, FounDit, for your advice. Only two questions: with regard to her demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think outside the box, it has not previously been noted or described; therefore, can it be included as follows:
In view of these facts and others (or other ones?) (including her demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think out of box), she is ...
If her ingenuity and capacity to think out of the box has not been noted or demonstrated, how can these be included? It is simply an assertion with no evidence to back up such a statement.

Regarding the last part, I meant something slightly different:
If permitted, such an opportunity would allow her to further demonstrate her suitability for the position, in which she firmly believes she will excel, and about which (i.e. about her suitability for ...) the attendance of the selection process has reinforced her conviction.
What do you think about that?

I'm not clear on the "attendance of the selection process". Did she attend some type of selection process already, or does she believe that her suitability makes her a candidate for such a selection process? And how would she "attend" such a process? I'm not clear on what you want to say here.


Yes, she has already attended some type of selection process; and I want to say that the attendance of the selection process has reinforced her conviction about her suitability for the role. How would you include in the sentence:
If permitted, such an opportunity would allow her to further demonstrate her suitability for the position, in which she firmly believes she will excel, and about which (i.e. about her suitability for ...) the attendance of the selection process has reinforced her conviction.
Topic: provide a suitable date and time vs suggest a different date (and time)
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 4:41:07 PM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Hi FounDit, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
I'm not sure you want to word it quite like this. It has the sense of a command, an order for her application to be processed, and to be interviewed by a company leader. I doubt that would accomplish what is desired. In applying for a position, a polite request would go much farther.

Also, I'm not sure if her "demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think outside the box" has previously been noted or described. If it has, then I wouldn't mention it again here.

Keeping most of your words, I suggest:


In view of these facts, she is exceedingly hopeful that her application will be processed and that she will be offered the opportunity to discuss her work with one of the company's leaders. If permitted, such an opportunity would allow her to further demonstrate her suitability for the position, in which she firmly believes she will excel, and be of great benefit to the company..


Thank you, FounDit, for your advice. Only two questions: with regard to her demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think outside the box, it has not previously been noted or described; therefore, can it be included as follows:
In view of these facts and others (or other ones?) (including her demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think out of box), she is ...
Regarding the last part, I meant something slightly different:
If permitted, such an opportunity would allow her to further demonstrate her suitability for the position, in which she firmly believes she will excel, and about which (i.e. about her suitability for ...) the attendance of the selection process has reinforced her conviction.
What do you think about that?
Topic: provide a suitable date and time vs suggest a different date (and time)
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 10:12:30 AM
Hi FounDit, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
In view of these facts and others (including her demonstrated ingenuity and capacity to think out of box), she strongly believes that she deserves that her application to be progressed and (she, is it required?) be offered the opportunity to discuss her work with one of the company's leaders. This would allow her to further demonstrate (a possible synonym?) her suitability for the role, (something?) which she is firmly convinced of and which the attendance of the selection process has confirmed in her conviction in.
Topic: This would allow them to
Posted: Sunday, March 3, 2019 11:42:38 AM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
You could probably use "securing business longevity", but my preference would be to shorten it.

The next point is that you are saying innovation, or the capacity for that, is important for business longevity, but then follow that up with simply understanding technology as it develops, and investing in that at the right time.

There is a difference between innovation in technology and understanding new technology. So I'm not sure which one you want to be your focus. Since you say this is "more precisely" what you mean, I'm going to go with that.

I would also move the last portion to the end of the first bullet point, since they are related.

Beyond that, I would make only a few word changes to make it read smoother. But this is must my preferences.


I believe that the factors that are the most crucial for business longevity are:
• A company’s capacity to understand technology as it evolves and incorporating it into the business at the right time; the added value that these powerful tools can bring in terms of increasing the quality and quantity of work performed can be extremely valuable.
• another factor, which is less tangible and quantifiable but no less fundamental (my choice) to business longevity, is the establishment of a great company culture. Companies experience good and bad times throughout their lifespan, executives, employees and priorities can change, but what should be unwavering is a commitment to maintaining their mission, vision and values, as well as a receptive attitude towards their stakeholders and an understanding of their needs.



Hi FounDit, and thank you for your suggestions. I agree with you that they are two different things, actually I meant to say the following (do you think that the expressions in bold are correct?):
innovation/innovative capability (or capability of innovating?). In order to reap up the reward(s?) of that (approach?), not only should organization be able to adapt to (and embrace, do they have same meaning?) change, but also they need a/the capacity to understand technology as it evolves and incorporate/incorporating it into the business at the right time;
Do you mean: no less fundamental or not less fundamental?
Topic: This would allow them to
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 11:14:37 AM
Hi, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
I believe that the factors that are the most crucial in securing (a possible synonym?) business longevity are:
(innovation/innovative capability)/(capability of innovating). More precisely, it is the company’s capacity to understand the technology as it evolves and (to?) invest at right time;
• another factor, which is less tangible and quantifiable but not less fundamental/decisive to business longevity, is the capacity to build a great company culture. Companies experience good and bad times throughout their lifespan, executives, employees and priorities can change, what should be unwavering is/are their commitment to maintaining their mission, vision and values, and also the ability to listen to their stakeholders and understand their needs.
Organisations should keep up-to-date with advancements in technology. This would allow them to (a possible synonym?) benefit from the added value that these powerful tools can bring in terms of increasing the quality and quantity of work performed.
Topic: provide a suitable date and time vs suggest a different date (and time)
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:22:33 AM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Thank you, FounDit. In your opinion, are the expressions in bold correct in the following sentences (which are meant to be used in a formal setting):
Regardless of whether/(the fact that) an exam (is required)/(you need to take) an exam (or not), (do you know)/(are you aware) whether the degree would be recognized in such countries as X, Y, Z, ...
Sorry, I missed your call. What did you need to talk to/with me about?


You could say,

"Regardless of whether an exam is required or not"

or

"Regardless of the fact an exam is required/you need to take an exam"

or

"Regardless of whether or not an exam is required/you need to take an exam"

All of these can work.

For the next part, I think "do you know" and "are you aware" both work fine, but I would substitute the word "if" for "whether". I think it reads better that way.

Lastly, you might hear both words used, "with" and "to", but my personal preference is "to".


Thank you, FounDit. Only one question: with regard to the second option for the first part of the sentence, did you mean:

"Regardless of the fact an exam is required or not/you need to take an exam or you do not"?

As I read it, the main idea in the first part is: "regardless of the fact whether an exam is required or not". This means that there should be no regard given to the fact, or idea, or an exam. If an exam is required, you would have to take it. If an exam is not required, then no problem. But the idea expressed is that this is not important. You do not regard that fact either way. The important part is: do you know if the degree is acceptable in countries x, y, and z?


I agree, FounDit, with you about the meaning of the sentence, I would only please ask you why you included or not in "Regardless of whether an exam is required or not", but omitted it in "Regardless of the fact an exam is required/you need to take an exam"?

I was simply offering you two ways to say the same thing.
For example:
Regardless of whether or not the car is a Lotus, take it to be washed.
Regardless of the make of the car, take it to be washed.

In both cases, you are saying to someone they should have no regard to what kind of car it is. In your example, you are saying they should have no regard for an exam.


Thank you, FounDit. I have now gotten it (is that expression correct?).
Topic: provide a suitable date and time vs suggest a different date (and time)
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 10:48:15 AM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Thank you, FounDit. In your opinion, are the expressions in bold correct in the following sentences (which are meant to be used in a formal setting):
Regardless of whether/(the fact that) an exam (is required)/(you need to take) an exam (or not), (do you know)/(are you aware) whether the degree would be recognized in such countries as X, Y, Z, ...
Sorry, I missed your call. What did you need to talk to/with me about?


You could say,

"Regardless of whether an exam is required or not"

or

"Regardless of the fact an exam is required/you need to take an exam"

or

"Regardless of whether or not an exam is required/you need to take an exam"

All of these can work.

For the next part, I think "do you know" and "are you aware" both work fine, but I would substitute the word "if" for "whether". I think it reads better that way.

Lastly, you might hear both words used, "with" and "to", but my personal preference is "to".


Thank you, FounDit. Only one question: with regard to the second option for the first part of the sentence, did you mean:

"Regardless of the fact an exam is required or not/you need to take an exam or you do not"?

As I read it, the main idea in the first part is: "regardless of the fact whether an exam is required or not". This means that there should be no regard given to the fact, or idea, or an exam. If an exam is required, you would have to take it. If an exam is not required, then no problem. But the idea expressed is that this is not important. You do not regard that fact either way. The important part is: do you know if the degree is acceptable in countries x, y, and z?


I agree, FounDit, with you about the meaning of the sentence, I would only please ask you why you included or not in "Regardless of whether an exam is required or not", but omitted it in "Regardless of the fact an exam is required/you need to take an exam"?
Topic: provide a suitable date and time vs suggest a different date (and time)
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 10:44:59 AM
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
Thank you, FounDit. In your opinion, are the expressions in bold correct in the following sentences (which are meant to be used in a formal setting):
Regardless of whether/(the fact that) an exam (is required)/(you need to take) an exam (or not), (do you know)/(are you aware) whether the degree would be recognized in such countries as X, Y, Z, ...
Sorry, I missed your call. What did you need to talk to/with me about?


You could say,

"Regardless of whether an exam is required or not"

or

"Regardless of the fact an exam is required/you need to take an exam"

or

"Regardless of whether or not an exam is required/you need to take an exam"

All of these can work.

For the next part, I think "do you know" and "are you aware" both work fine, but I would substitute the word "if" for "whether". I think it reads better that way.

Lastly, you might hear both words used, "with" and "to", but my personal preference is "to".


Thank you, FounDit. Only one question: with regard to the second option for the first part of the sentence, did you mean:

"Regardless of the fact an exam is required or not/you need to take an exam or you do not"?
Topic: provide a suitable date and time vs suggest a different date (and time)
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:40:09 PM
Romany wrote:
Business communications are expected to be factual and short. No-one has the time in a busy day to go poring over long, involved sentences.

No native speaker - especially a business person - would say "...On tuesday, in the morning." They'd say - and write - "Tuesday morning."

They wouldn't go into complicated /compound sentences - it's just not the way biz-speak (corporate jargon) works.

"Could you please phone me on Tuesday morning. If this isn't possible, please advise a convenient time at which I can contact you." "a convenient time" wipes out the need for "If this isn't conventient or not possible ('if this isn't possible) could you please specify such a date and time at which I can contact you, (please advise a convenient time for me to contact you.)

Short & factual. Because time is money and people resent wasting time.


Hi Romany, and thank you for your advice.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.