User Name: Mr Epstein
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 286
[0.03% of all post / 0.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Police Raid Symbionese Liberation Army Headquarters (1974)
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 11:40:47 PM
Daemon wrote:
Police Raid Symbionese Liberation Army Headquarters (1974)

The Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA) was an American terrorist group responsible for various bank robberies, murders, and acts of violence between 1973 and 1975. The group is perhaps best known for kidnapping 19-year-old media heiress Patty Hearst, who later became a member of the SLA—a decision experts attribute to a psychological condition known as Stockholm syndrome—and participated in their heists. What happened to Hearst after police raided SLA headquarters in 1974, killing several members? More...

I am old enough to remember this event. I lived near Berkeley when it all came down. Does anyone here share that experience.?

Kenneth
Topic: All virtue is summed up in dealing justly.
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 11:26:06 PM
Daemon wrote:
All virtue is summed up in dealing justly.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC)

Aristotle - the most intelligent man who ever lived.

Kenneth
Topic: Daylight Saving Time
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:59:42 PM
Did you write that NKM? If not, who did...it is very clever.

Kenneth
Topic: Why is tory not a word?
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:47:42 PM
I know. I saw that too. Tory is definitely a word.

KE

Kenneth
Topic: Evil is not something superhuman, it's something less than human.
Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2015 10:53:21 AM
The pen will always be mightier than the sword.
Radical Islamists will never subdue the desire to mock and parody either Islam, Muhammad or any other subject.

Kenneth
Topic: I am proud of this forum.
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:10:11 PM
pljames wrote:
The reason being that they have given me and all of you the members the knowledge to understand all languages and how to use them effectively from those who use it. Ingenious. I now see and understand why we need this forum and to communicate better to each other in our present and hopefully their future as well. Well done TFD. Paul

I agree with you, this forum is a valuable tool. I especially notice those from outside the US and Western Europe requesting help or clarification.

KE

Kenneth
Topic: Rosetta mission will land a satellite on a comet today
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:38:42 AM
Wanderer wrote:
Will you be watching the coverage of the Rosetta mission when it lands on a comet? I think it is exciting.

Looking forward to this momentous event.

Applause

Kenneth
Topic: Do you believe in ghosts ?
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:55:29 PM
Luker4 wrote:
well...?

No such thing as ghosts...!

Kenneth
Topic: What if 2?
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 2:03:09 PM
jacobusmaximus wrote:
England, in 1707, gave up its status as an independent country to link with Scotland to form Great Britain. What if England chose to be an independent county again and left the Union? Would the remainder be the United Kingdom of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland? I don't think so! And what about Gibraltar, the Falkland Islands and other British Overseas Territories? Why shouldn't England walk out on it all just as the Scottish Government planned to do?

With all due respect, I don't believe your question is a rational one. Never in history has a country voluntarily given back territory. Much more common is the scenario wherein a sovereign appropriates territory. This happens for a variety of reasons.

And I suppose your question could be viewed in the sense of a smaller territory, such as the former Irish territory, wanting to tear itself away from a larger entity. That complex and bloody event cost tens of thousands of lives and created an enmity that still exists to this day almost a century later.

KE

Kenneth
Topic: having put up
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:08:51 PM
s21d wrote:
A man is placing a statue, but he is not placing it himself. He is taking the help of mason and other labours.Suppose the name of the man is John. In that context, can we say " John is having a statue put up "?

I don't know if I would phrase your thought that way. It sounds as if "the man" is part of a group of laborers, one of which is named John. Therefore, this group of men, together, is erecting a statue. The fact that they are erecting a statue, to me, really doesn't matter much, they could be constructing a home, or assembling a piece of artwork.

In order to remove all ambiguity, s21d, I would try something like this:

John, with a group of laborers, is erecting a statue.

By saying

John is putting up a statue it makes me think that John is erecting a statue of himself. This would seem most odd and mildly uncomfortable as most statues I know of are erected by others to honor or serve in memory of another, one assumes, esteemed person.

Using the verb, "to put" is really the most accurate verb.

I would suggest something such as: erect or construct...or if small and quickly created...assemble.

Hope this helps,

KE

Kenneth

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.