Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 753
[0.08% of all post / 0.42 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: incident
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:34:13 PM
I agree, FounDit. Good clarification!

I would have never thought of the bills on top of the icebox that way! I'm so glad I have someone to ask for help! Thanks everbody!
Topic: the grid
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:25:24 PM
It is the same Intuitionist, a baffling mixture of lots of genres. I thought too the meaning would become clear further on, but it didn't happen (to me at least). My guess is that the grid is a renovated part of downtown, where the new city and business buildings form some kind of regular structure, which might be protected by an electric fence (?) - though no fence is ever mentioned anywhere else in the novel. Or it might be a symbolic fence - ie the inaccessibility / corruption / inefficiency of city institutions. But the description of those „strange affects” trespassing of the „lattice” is very graphic!

This is by far the hardest book I have ever translated.
Topic: the grid
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 7:43:01 PM
The grid is quiet this Sunday morning. The citizens do not live this far downtown. Too much power in the lattice. Some tried. They discovered their hair on the pillow upon waking, fingernails and teeth loose and swimming in their flesh. Never mind the impossible prospect of organizing complete sentences. So no one lives in the financial district anymore, no one lives too close to the humming municipal temples. The streets of Federal Plaza are deserted and there are no shadows for the clouds, which snare the light and stain every ray silver.

What exactly is the grid? Does the lattice suggest some electric gate (or fence)? But why downtown? Does the grid rather mean the city institutions (gathered downtown)? It is certainly symbolic, but I cannot really see the physical image.
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 5:34:27 PM
Just to keep the context, I would like to ask one more question here. The setting is the same.

The women are pros, the men driven. The men think, this is the last night on earth and I am spending it in the arms of a beautiful woman. The women are not necessarily beautiful, but anything is possible. The women count dimes, ponder the bills waiting on top of the icebox. The bills are gratified a dime at a time, steadily.

What kind of bills are these? And why on top of the icebox?
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 5:07:18 PM
Thank you, RuthP. I suspected the same, but needed a native speaker's assurance. I find the formulation too allusive, bordering on obscure, but this is probably the intended meaning.
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:24:19 PM
We are in a taxi dance hall.

The men who do not dance sit along one wall, in a line of red seats that have been retrieved from the rubble of a demolished theater. In opera seats, one seat or two or three between them, they watch the dance floor, regretting incidents. The women here have been instructed against aggression, the hard sell. There is no need-these men, in their threadbare suits, choking on fat neckties, with their broken postures, are easy sells. The management knows that they scurry here out of the rain with ideas and will approach, in due time, the women when their moldy ideations have settled on a suitable vessel. The women have sifted through bargain racks in bargain districts, chosen polka-dot prints and obscure flower patterns. Fat arms and thin arms, swollen thighs and emaciated necks. The men choose from the bargain racks. The music urges and a man chooses a woman and they dance for a dime.

What could the „incidents” be?
Topic: Finland 101
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:20:19 PM
Very nice pictures indeed. Happy Independence Day!
Topic: champagne
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 3:04:10 PM
Good, good, good. Thank you both!
Topic: champagne
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 3:04:09 PM
Rick Raymond and the Moon-Rays play at the Funicular Follies, the annual banquet of the elevator inspectors.

They get a lot of gigs on account of Rick's preternatural resemblance to a popular singer and matinee idol. He is not above stealing some of that singer's more famous moves, like he is now, cradling the microphone stand as if it were some swooning lass, petting invisible blonde hair. Your eyes so blue, he croons.

Quite the ham, Rick Raymond, but look at these pigs. This affair is a few bubbles short of champagne. The snouts of these men are up at their plates, nudging shrimp cocktails, which look like bones floating in blood. Their tuxedos have identical wide lapels, and a close inspection of all the labels on the inside pockets will attest to the handiwork of a certain Ziff Brothers, 10% DISCOUNT IF YOU BRING A FRIEND. The shrimp cocktails are reinforcements, following greasy battalions of tiny hot dogs and stunted egg rolls (the snacks perched on silver trays, wallowing in small brown pools of oil, dripping amniotic fluid). These appetizers appease the stomachs of the men, which have been thrown into tart consternation by the sudden influx of free whiskey.

How should I understand the boldfaced sentence?
Topic: abstraction
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 8:37:47 AM
It is certainly „they” who reel in their threats.

As for the meaning I suppose your guess is right, DragOn. Now I get it and it does make sense in the larger context.

Thank you both!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.