Interests: literature
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 768
[0.08% of all post / 0.37 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: precocious about
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 8:35:14 AM
Thank you everyone, it was a very interesting discussion.

PS Romany, as an aside: I am pedantic too (even though I blame myself and am blamed for it often), so I do appreciate your pedantry!
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 4:43:47 AM
I looked up the phrase „precocious about it”. Here are a few examples:

This is unfortunate, because while the drama is handsome and watchable (with fine dialogue, honest performances and a precocious child actress who plays a precocious child without being overly precocious about it), the flow is mechanical... (the title of the article, by the way, is „A precocious family drama takes an unfortunately implausible turn”.)

https://books.google.ro/books?id=5CU4DwAAQBAJ&pg=PT136&lpg=PT136&dq=%E2%80%9Eprecocious+about+it%E2%80%9D&source=bl&ots=k96N6wDODt&sig=ACfU3U0-_KMCU2bvZdTWKec-7HXqLBhKsw&hl=ro&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiFuIff043gAhXHPOwKHfNAAB4Q6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=%E2%80%9Eprecocious%20about%20it%E2%80%9D&f=false

Usually films with children are unbearable cute. Cross My Heart has nothing precocious about it.

Jonas and Cyrus make the protagonists realistically serious and silly without ever getting precious or precocious about it

"Pair of Wings" features Rose's most affecting vocal—positively slathered with honey and sugar and all those other nice things—repeating a mantra over a slowly blooming backdrop of into brass, a choir and a thumping timpani. There's nothing subtle or precocious about it, the sound of Rose replacing her hazy tunnel-pop with Disney-level bombast.

and so on.

The meaning of precocious seems to me a bit lost in such passages, and I am not sure what it is supposed to mean in each case. I thought it might have acquired some other colloquial nuances.
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 2:10:08 AM
Chancre is still spinning out today's accident into a stump speech on the accomplishments of his four years as Guild Chair. The election is just around the corner, after all, and Chuck (a clever man, but not precocious about it) knows Chancre's game. This press conference allows Chancre to reach members of the Guild [...] who have retired [...].

Chuck has a 'distaste for Chancre's unabashed politicking' (Chancre is the current Chair and running again). What I don't get is: 1. what being 'not precocious about it' (the cleverness, I presume) means. 2. how that is relevant to Chucks's understanding of Chancre's game.

Any opinions?

https://books.google.ro/books?id=WJEA1TTHu8AC&printsec=frontcover&hl=ro#v=onepage&q=precocious&f=false
Topic: holy highwayman
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:42:08 AM
I suspect he's frightfully perceptive like that lots of times. Think
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 6:56:46 AM
I can probably give you any poetic phrase and you'd make a whole (true) history out of it!

Yes, everything you both said is true. Thank you.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 10:45:47 PM
Have you come across the notion of „holy highwayman”? Is it ironic? I only found it in a couple of quotes on the net and it seems so. Would „holy” allude to a member of the clergy / a saint?

I have it in the following quote:
His dreams were as chaotic as a colony of gannets. Through them blundered the great garefowl, white-masked like some holy highwayman.
Topic: every other
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 10:44:22 PM
Thank you!
Topic: every other
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 8:20:37 PM
Quill did not know if the maiden from the mainland was there, among the crowd - didn't look to see. To be seen looking would have had every other boy on the boat mocking him.

Quill is leaving the island on a boat. How do you understand „every other”? „All the others” or „half of them”?
Topic: clinch
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 9:40:05 AM
It's interesting (though intriguing!) that „in the clinch” is typical to journalists. My character is a journalist.
Topic: clinch
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 8:30:25 AM
Maybe the finger is essential when he writes (a lot) - whatever the clinch might mean, I gather it's probably connected to writing (under pressure, perhaps).

Well, they should register this meaning of clinch in some dictionary.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.