[0.09% of all post / 0.57 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: eleventh apartment
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 5:50:33 AM
Thank you everyone.
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 4:03:01 AM
If anyone is interested in more context, here is the first page on googlebooks:

https://books.google.ro/books?hl=ro&id=Lf99BAAAQBAJ&q=eleventh#v=snippet&q=eleventh&f=false
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 3:39:24 AM
The eleventh apartment had only one closet, but it did have a sliding glass door that opened onto a small balcony.

This is the beginning of a novel (Hanya Yanagihara, A little life), and there is no mention of this apartment later in it. I am not sure why the Italian and Spanish translators said „the apartment on the eleventh floor” (we only find out it is located in a building on Twenty-fith and Second, in Manhattan - by the way, I looked it up on google maps, there's just a parking lot there, and there are only low apparently non-residential buildings close by; but this is not truly relevant). Can it possibly mean „the eleventh apartment they visited” (they being the characters who wanted to rent an apartment)? My first thought was simply „apartment no. 11”.

Thank you.
Topic: all that jazz
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 11:23:55 AM
In an intimate context (a discussion about sexual preferences)
"But I have all that jazz, right, babe?" (also from Marlon James, A Brief History of Seven Killings)

I am not sure how to understand "all that jazz" here. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Topic: pimple
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 11:18:10 AM
"what do you do if you're being gang raped by a bunch of white men? Nothing, unless you worried about being fucked by a pimple."

This is from Marlon James, A Brief History of Seven Killings, the 70s in Jamaica - and I was wondering what the meaning of "pimple" could be here.

Thank you in advance.
Topic: spanish-english translation
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 7:37:20 PM
Hello everyone! Here's a small excerpt from a text, describing Patagonia:

Durante un rato permanecimos los dos pensativos, contemplando la inmensidad del paisaje patagónico. Un viento incesante roía los conos truncados de las montañas, sin ofrecer más que breves respiros en la raleada espesura.

I am trying to understand exactly the meaning of the underlined sequence. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
Topic: directory
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 1:40:55 PM
Mark Twain's Million Pound Bank-Note (1893) has the main character help two rich gentlemen settle a bet. He is supposed to return to them in a month and report on the success or failure of his mission (to survive in London for 30 days with only a million-pound bank-note in his pocket). They had not told him their names. At the end, he comes to their house together with his future wife, whom he met during the trial month:

I introduced them to her, and called them by name. It didn't surprise them; they knew I would know enough to consult the directory.

What kind of directory are we talking about? Some kind of a phone book? Yellow Pages?

Thanks in advance.
Topic: king's finest
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:22:32 AM
Thank you so much everybody!
Topic: king's finest
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:43:32 AM
A small boat. A small wooden clinkered boat known as a punt, lovingly built of planks of Huon pine impervious to the worm and to rot, seven a side steamed into perfect shape and trenailed and caulked into position by old Gus Doherty — no finer piners’ punt builder there be on all the west coast of Tasmania, one pound sterling per foot of punt for his craftsmanship and this boat fifteen of the king’s finest for old Gus [...].

Taken from Australian Richard Flanagan's Death of a River Guide.

Two questions here:
1. one pound sterling for liniar, square or cubic foot of punt?
2. king's finest whiskey? If not, what else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Justina
Topic: It's Spring!
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 5:27:20 AM
Applause

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.