Interests: literature
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 691
[0.08% of all post / 0.51 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: black spells
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 3:23:58 PM
Thank you, thar. You expressed it best. I was having the same line of reasoning, but wasn't fully sure there weren't other possibilities.
Topic: black spells
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 2:35:29 PM
The Underground Railroad, Colson Whitehead (Michael is a slave):

His owner grew bored and sold the boy south. By the time Michael got to Randall, some torture or punishment had addled his senses. He was a mediocre worker. He complained of noises and black spells that blotted his memory. In exasperation Connelly beat out what little brains he had left.

What is the meaning of „black spells” here? Does it mean „blackouts”?
Topic: everyone with two hands
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 12:09:25 AM
Thank you! I wasn't sure it could simply mean "everyone".
Topic: everyone with two hands
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 5:12:49 PM
What is the meaning of this phrase?

"harvest nights when everyone with two hands stayed up picking"
Topic: sugar apple
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:25:55 PM
Thanks everyone for clarifications. I'll have to approximate.

Sorry about "colored". This is actually the biggest challenge of the book during translation - how to render the words referring to the population of African descent. What is interesting is that we have a similar wealth of words to call the Gypsies (our former slaves), and some have actually migrated to also mean "nigger" or "Arab" (my father was a racist), but most aren't really useful here. On the other hand, the Romanian equivalent of "colored" is neutral and unprejudiced.
Topic: sugar apple
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 1:55:38 PM
I am translating The Underground Railway by Colson Whitehead.
Alice is a colored slave cook, and Randall is the family owning the plantation where she lives.

The Randall brothers. Since he was a young boy, James could be placated by a treat from Alice’s kitchen, the sugar apple that cut short a fit or tantrum.

If I look for "sugar apple" on the net, the only references I get are to the fruit. I suspect here it means something else. Am I wrong?
Topic: jackey pants
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 7:54:31 AM
All right...
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 7:34:50 AM
But why -pants?
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 6:34:57 AM
Where does this nickname come from? Or rather what does it suggest? My text is here:

https://books.google.ro/books?id=1NcCDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT8&lpg=PT8&dq=%E2%80%9Ejakeypants%E2%80%9D&source=bl&ots=ENx5Ebs1l5&sig=M7gFd7qoAnJvc93k5wiBIhoY3iU&hl=ro&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNxI_5-cnVAhVSnRQKHWxFBkgQ6AEIaDAO#v=onepage&q=%E2%80%9Ejakeypants%E2%80%9D&f=false

Justina
Topic: horrid huns
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 5:10:13 PM
Thanks a lot, thar! Very helpful information.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.