User Name: Taxiarchis
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests: Linguistics, etymology
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 17
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I do not say a proverb is amiss when aptly and reasonably applied, but to be forever discharging them, right or wrong, hit or...
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 10:52:10 PM
The very nature of memes.
Topic: A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment...
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:50:37 PM
I think Aristole referred to any tyrant putting on the guise of an upstanding, righteous man to make his ruling seem more palatable and acceptable in the eyes of others. Naturally, for his time, that would mean appearing as a religious and devote individual; nowadays, it's essentially a description of marketing practices.

Really, the idea of employing religion to control the masses strikes me as quite outdated by now. Populations are more so "trampled upon" - and such a statement is itself a very delicate one - either by their own surrender to the idea of a not corrupt politician existing at all or to brand loyalty. At least so from my perspective. Why, neither religiosity nor lack of it will necessarily make a man virtuous or knowledgeable; plenty exist who are cruel without needing to follow more dogmas than their own wallet or even their own urges.
Topic: I hope that posterity will judge me kindly, not only as to the things which I have explained, but also to those which I have...
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2015 10:05:19 PM
René Descartes wrote:
I hope that posterity will judge me kindly,

Well, Mr. Descartes, you are remembered among most Internet boards as a meme. Think Take that as you will.
Topic: Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law.
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:35:39 AM
Naturally, naturally.
Topic: "Pissed off for"
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 7:06:28 PM
The sentence is indeed from a larger text I've been working, and its curious the matter regarding the differences between British and American English is brought up, since I had initially considered making the narrative voice persona speak in BE to match the characters - in one of the settings, at least. I had decided against it, however, and have the narrator persona fall in a more neutral area and let the characters "do the talking", so to say. So I guess in the end I wound up employing a British dialect unknowingly. Heh.

Also, thanks for bringing up the 'write AT' issue, too.

Thanks, everybody.
Topic: "Pissed off for"
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 3:35:35 PM
Hi,

I'd like to know if this sentence is appropriately structured:

He was pissed off with those kids for one time writing insults at him all over the wall.

Mainly, I wish to know if the syntax of "pissed off with [person B] for [person B's actions]" is correct. I've looked around on the Internet and most collocations regarding pissed off involve the usage of "about sth." or "because [dependent clause explaining the reason]".

Thanks in advance
Topic: You're my shero
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2015 1:46:25 PM
The correct is heroine, as it comes from the Ancient Greek "heroíne" (compare Modern Greek "iroída") just how hero comes from "héros" (compare Modern Greek "íroas").

But, evidently, the word heroine isn't pheministikí enough so they made up their own word. Ehh.
Topic: The path of social advancement is, and must be, strewn with broken friendships.
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 7:46:27 PM
Really intend to save and remember this one.
Topic: Always desire to learn something useful.
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 6:17:10 PM
I desire to, but unfortunately my interests and innate talents betray me.
Topic: The new rage is to say that the government is the cause of all our problems, and if only we had no government, we'd have no...
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:27:24 AM
Gotta say I agree with Clinton there. Governments are not comprised of beings that sprouted out of the ground overnight or came out of a different world altogether; they are people that were born and brought up like anybody else. If a country's government is corrupt and ineffectual, chances are its regular citizens are like that as well in their daily lives, meaning that simply replacing them after an election would amount to nothing. As a Peruvian, I should know that.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.