User Name: mirilli
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 177
[0.02% of all post / 0.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Buchenwald Concentration Camp Liberated by American Troops (1945)
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:50:35 AM
Daemon wrote:
Buchenwald Concentration Camp Liberated by American Troops (1945)

Buchenwald was one of the first and largest concentration camps in Nazi Germany. As US forces closed in on the camp near the end of WWII, the Nazis began evacuating its prisoners, forcing them on "death marches" during which an estimated 13,500 were killed. On April 9, inmates at the camp used a makeshift radio transmitter to inform the Allies about the evacuations and beg for help. What did the prisoners do when they received word that the Americans were coming to liberate them? More...

Perdonatemi se questa volta non mi esprimo in inglese, spero che qualcuno capisca e traduca.
Mi vergogno profondamente per gli italiani che hanno partecipato a questo orrore per seguire le scelte di un megalomane.Il mio inglese è troppo vago per esprimere il disagio che provoca in me il trattare questo argomento. Scusate.
Topic: appurtenance
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 5:05:59 AM
Daemon wrote:
appurtenance

(noun) Equipment, such as clothing, tools, or instruments, used for a specific purpose or task.

Synonyms: paraphernalia, gear

Usage: He had half expected that she would drive up to the side door in a hansom, would wear a thick veil, and adopt the other appurtenances of a clandestine meeting.

Masterful pen: you can breathe air of sin.Applause
Topic: Sometimes people carry to such perfection the mask they have assumed that in due course they actually become the person they...
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 7:16:29 AM
Daemon wrote:
Sometimes people carry to such perfection the mask they have assumed that in due course they actually become the person they seem.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)

Really? I don't believe it. A mask is, and always will be, a mask. Sooner or later the actual personality will prove to be a fake.Shame on you
Topic: Do You Know about the Golden Fruit?(27)
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 10:33:01 AM
TMe wrote:

In my mind, this should have been the forbidden fruit, not a common apple.Whistle

PINEAPPLE

Prickly pineapple, you are a deceiver but a gem.
Hard exterior belies that sweet yellow flesh.
Messy head shoots up from soil's stems
tantalizing mesmerizing us with your sweet relish.

You are the symbol of peaceful serenity.
Carved on homestead entrances and bed frames
since olden times, your visage a sign of hospitality
as you smile at weary guests in your warm embrace.

Your fleshy chunks, an adornment to ham and bacon.
Shrimp and pineapple an Asian delight.
With ice cream, kids sensational sweet succulent haven.
Vitamins galore in your goodness for a healthy heart and clear sight.

I will dance a tango with you and mango, as apple plays a sweet lyric.
Banana will beat the drums so we can groove to the midnight beat.
Plum will sing a sonnet as she serenades strawberry's dazzling magic.
Celebration ends as we bathe in warm fruity juices in ecstacy and heat.

Proudly powered by Weebly
Earn Rewards
Topic: Teach him to think for himself? Oh, my God, teach him rather to think like other people!
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 10:17:20 AM
karlajagan wrote:
Think for himself is better. The world has never progressed when everyone thinks like the others around them. New ideas means progress.

I agree. From a flock of sheep, we can get wool and meat, nothing more.Shame on you
Topic: Congratulations, President Trump
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:57:03 AM
progpen wrote:
The current president did not spit, sputter, threaten and verbally attack anyone for the duration of the speech, for which the country will be eternally grateful.

The whole world will be eternally grateful for which!Whistle
Topic: That's the reason they're called lessons...because they lessen from day to day.
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 8:38:44 AM
Daemon wrote:
That's the reason they're called lessons...because they lessen from day to day.

Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

Please, help me! Why do they lessen, because we have learnt enough, or because our interest in learning decreases?
Topic: The man who is not loved hovers like a vulture over the sweetheart of others.
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 5:01:34 AM
Daemon wrote:
The man who is not loved hovers like a vulture over the sweetheart of others.

Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

The "vultur", in itself, might not be dangerous without the fascination of "his" hover.Whistle
Topic: refractory
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:54:58 AM
Dear friends, I need your help. I can't understand the meaning of this sentence:"He still made a naughty or refractory lad stand with one arm stretched out for anything from ten minutes to half an hour."
I wonder what this naughty or refractory lad was making, for being considered so badly? What does it mean "stand with one arm stretched out for anything from ten minutes to half an hour."?
Thanks in advance.
Topic: Topsy the Elephant is Executed by Electrocution (1903)
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 8:25:12 AM
Daemon wrote:
Topsy the Elephant is Executed by Electrocution (1903)

Topsy was a circus elephant at Coney Island's Luna Park. After killing three people—at least one of whom was mistreating her at the time—in as many years, she was deemed a threat and scheduled to be put down. After hanging was ruled out after being deemed too cruel, Thomas Edison suggested electrocution in an attempt to further his campaign to portray alternating current electricity as dangerous. Electrocuted with 6,600 volts, Topsy died in seconds. How many people witnessed the execution? More...

Executed?!She deserved a gold medal.d'oh!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.