User Name: mirilli
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 191
[0.02% of all post / 0.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: A very few—as heroes, patriots, martyrs, reformers in the great sense, and men—serve the state with their consciences also,...
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 5:12:19 PM
Daemon wrote:
A very few—as heroes, patriots, martyrs, reformers in the great sense, and men—serve the state with their consciences also, and so necessarily resist it for the most part; and they are commonly treated as enemies by it.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Very sad, because nothing has changed.
Topic: What's wrong with the verb forms?
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 5:38:46 PM
[quote=robjen](ex) John is going shopping for a while and plans to visit his uncle after that.

Some of my non-native English speaking friends think there is a problem with the verb forms. They say "planning" should be used.

The Simple Present is used to express habits, general truths, repeated actions or unchanging situations, emotions and wishes. This is not the case.Shame on you
Topic: I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't...
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:52:53 AM
Daemon wrote:
I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose would be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

The ear wants to be satisfied too!Whistle
Topic: My experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all.
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:59:08 PM
Bully_rus wrote:
Daemon wrote:
My experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Yeah. How does play in all this scheme the increased longevity?

A world crowded with idiots.Whistle
Topic: Declaration of Christmas Peace in Turku, Finland
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 8:19:57 AM
Merry Christmas to you and to and the whole Finland.
Topic: To swallow and follow, whether old doctrine or new propaganda, is a weakness still dominating the human mind.
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 4:33:21 AM
pedro wrote:
wifely duties

Really? Are you kidding?Shame on you
Topic: So, naturalists observe, a flea
Has smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller still to bite 'em;
And...

Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 3:47:22 PM
thar wrote:
or
another version
Quote:
Big fleas have little fleas,
Upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas,
and so, ad infinitum.

For learners expecting a serious quotation here, say it out loud. Whistle

and so, ad infinitum

Silenced loudly...
Topic: I describe not men, but manners; not an individual, but a species.
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 8:11:27 AM
[quote=Mehrdad77]There are two problems for our species' survival - nuclear war and environmental catastrophe - and we're hurtling towards them. Knowingly.

Shame on you -there are three problems: nuclear war, environmental catastrophe and state religions.

Topic: egoist vs egotist
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 10:26:46 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
egoist
egotist

Is there a difference in meaning between the words?

Thanks.

While similar, they have some important differences. Consider this note on usage from the Oxford Dictionaries:

The words egoism and egotism are frequently confused, as though interchangeable, but there are distinctions worth noting. Both words derive from Latin ego (‘I’), the first-person singular pronoun. Egotism, the more commonly used term , denotes an excessive sense of self-importance, too-frequent use of the word ‘I,’ and general arrogance and boastfulness. Egoism, a more subtle term , is perhaps best left to ethicists, for whom it denotes a view or theory of moral behavior in which self-interest is the root of moral conduct. An egoist, then , might devote considerable attention to introspection, but could be modest about it, whereas an egotist would have an exaggerated sense of the importance of his or her self-analysis, and would have to tell everyone.
Topic: "no light of matter"
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 4:51:57 AM
"But reason has no power against feeling, and feeling older than history is no light matter."

Please, can someone explain me in other words the highlighted portion of the clause? Thanks in advance.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.