User Name: mirilli
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 195
[0.02% of all post / 0.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: A common and natural result of an undue respect for the law is, that you may see a file of soldiers ... marching in admirable...
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:06:28 AM
Bully_rus wrote:
Yeah. But you can always export such wars to the very far, far away countries, where they can’t be seen and thus can’t trouble us and our gentle feelings... Out of sight, out of mind - so to speak. Right?

The conscience has no boundaries, in a free mind.
Topic: Public opinion is a weak tyrant compared with our own private opinion. What a man thinks of himself, that it is which...
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 4:29:22 AM
Daemon wrote:
Public opinion is a weak tyrant compared with our own private opinion. What a man thinks of himself, that it is which determines, or rather indicates, his fate.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Hmmm! In my opinion, power exceeds self-esteem.
Topic: My kind of loyalty was loyalty to one's country, not to its institutions or its office-holders. The country is the real...
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 3:25:05 PM
Daemon wrote:
My kind of loyalty was loyalty to one's country, not to its institutions or its office-holders. The country is the real thing, the substantial thing, the eternal thing; it is the thing to watch over, and care for, and be loyal to; institutions are extraneous, they are its mere clothing, and clothing can wear out.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

I totally agree with Daemon.
A special word of thanks to Monomagda for the contest.
Topic: Life altogether is but a crumbling ruin when we turn to look behind.
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2018 5:01:30 AM
Daemon wrote:
Life altogether is but a crumbling ruin when we turn to look behind.

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

Distressing! Eh?
Topic: A very few—as heroes, patriots, martyrs, reformers in the great sense, and men—serve the state with their consciences also,...
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 5:12:19 PM
Daemon wrote:
A very few—as heroes, patriots, martyrs, reformers in the great sense, and men—serve the state with their consciences also, and so necessarily resist it for the most part; and they are commonly treated as enemies by it.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Very sad, because nothing has changed.
Topic: What's wrong with the verb forms?
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 5:38:46 PM
[quote=robjen](ex) John is going shopping for a while and plans to visit his uncle after that.

Some of my non-native English speaking friends think there is a problem with the verb forms. They say "planning" should be used.

The Simple Present is used to express habits, general truths, repeated actions or unchanging situations, emotions and wishes. This is not the case.Shame on you
Topic: I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't...
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:52:53 AM
Daemon wrote:
I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose would be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

The ear wants to be satisfied too!Whistle
Topic: My experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all.
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:59:08 PM
Bully_rus wrote:
Daemon wrote:
My experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Yeah. How does play in all this scheme the increased longevity?

A world crowded with idiots.Whistle
Topic: Declaration of Christmas Peace in Turku, Finland
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 8:19:57 AM
Merry Christmas to you and to and the whole Finland.
Topic: To swallow and follow, whether old doctrine or new propaganda, is a weakness still dominating the human mind.
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 4:33:21 AM
pedro wrote:
wifely duties

Really? Are you kidding?Shame on you

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.