Profile: Skyoe
About
User Name: Skyoe
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 15
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Most of the luxuries, and many of the so-called comforts of life, are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to...
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 7:23:33 AM
ithink140 wrote:
Ah, Skyoe, I am like a many faceted diamond that sparkles in the light of the sun, and I bring out both old things and new from my treasure chest...to mix my metaphors.

I am not offended by your frankness. Peace.

My sincere thanks to you, ithink140, for your humorous and kind words. (I spent this afternoon regretting having posted that comment and worrying that you would feel offended and perhaps would react with rage…)

Some years back, in an English class, our teacher asked us:”What do you think are the three most important things originating in England?”We had many different answers, such as, football, steam engine, Newton’s ideas. The teacher then gave us her own answer:”English language, English humor, and English gentlemanliness.” I think that I’ve found these three things all, in your reply. Thank you very much, ithink140.
Topic: Most of the luxuries, and many of the so-called comforts of life, are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to...
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:35:12 PM
ithink140 wrote:

Wait a mo, while I pour a G&T and stoke up my pipe. I’ll lay The Times on my figured walnut side table and settle down in my easy chair and give this some deep consideration. Now, where are my slippers? Ah, there they are on my expensive Afghan rug. Ha, ha, my maid never forgets to attend to me even though we have a big do this evening with suckled pig on the menu.

Now where were we… oh yes, frugality. I entirely agree, why do we bother with the luxuries of life, I ask myself. The man had a good point… we are too cosseted nowadays. What we need is more ‘nose to the grindstone’ and application in life. I did’nt get where I am today without more application and nose to the grindstone stuff… oh no! Puff, puff sip, sip, gulp, pour.

Yes, I will bring this up with Carruthers at golf this afternoon. Damn where is my remote … I need to open the curtains. Betty, Betty... where is that damned maid when a fellow needs her.

PS: I am a bit of a philosopher myself... don't you know.

Amusing! I didn’t know that you have this (wry) sense of humor, ithink140. Many times when I ran across your posts, you were debating with other people, and you appeared to be quite serious and sometimes contentious. (I’m speaking my mind, and I’m sorry to you, if my words offended you.) Chances are I have not read enough of your comments which were intended to be entertaining. But in this post, you have certainly shown the funny side of you.
Topic: Many spammers are at these days at this forum?
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:30:57 PM
A cooperator wrote:

I am quite surprised how their messages are not blocked to be posted.

I suppose that “their messages” are not sent by human beings, but by spambots. A well-designed spambot is higly able to create accounts fast and bypass CAPTCHAs easily.
Topic: Human progress
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:25:50 PM
RuthP wrote:

Our most difficult problems have to do with people and the behavior of people, at least in part. This is true whether we think of political difficulties and disagreements or we think of problems like the pollution (and habitat loss) mentioned by ithink140.

Hello Ruth, I’ve read some of your posts, and noticed that your comments on social and political events generally were quite objective, from my perspective. Now I have great interest in knowing how you would comment on the sentence below. (I read it some time ago, from the book Theories of the state: the politics of liberal democracy, written by Patrick Dunleavy & Brendan O'Leary. The context is about technocrats’ points of view on social and political conflict, but I’ve forgotten the original surrounding sentences, so please forgive me for not being able to provide the context.)

Social and political conflict at best is erroneous, and at worst contrived.

I personally think that the second half of this sentence “and at worst contrived” is valid. It is the first half “at best is erroneous” that makes me wonder. Does social and political conflict have to be erroneous? I don’t think so. (I read the word “erroneous” as ‘wrong” or “incorrect”. But probably I've read it wrong. Probably it has some other meanings which I did not know.) To me, some conflicts are neither erroneous nor non-erroneous. They just exist, as the product of opposition of interests, needs, etc.

Would you mind offering me some opinion on this?
Topic: Men come and go as leaves year by year upon the trees. Those of autumn the wind sheds upon the ground, but when spring...
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 10:57:10 AM
Daemon wrote:

Men come and go as leaves year by year upon the trees. Those of autumn the wind sheds upon the ground, but when spring returns the forest buds forth with fresh vines.

Homer (900 BC-800 BC)

I like this Tagore line better:

"Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves." --- Rabindranath Tagore Stray Birds

(And Stray Birds is my favorite Tagore works: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6524/6524-h/6524-h.htm)

Topic: chivvy
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:18:45 AM
Another two "-vvy" family members: civvy and savvy.
Topic: French Senate Votes to Ban Child Beauty Pageants
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:35:39 AM
A good start, I'd say.

Beauty Pageants:
"Beauty plays the clown" --- U2 Miss Sarajevo
Topic: Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his conscience to the legislator? Why has every man a...
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:30:13 AM
Verbatim wrote:

people with many different interests at heart, each with its own label already attached,
have claimed Thoreau's words--sometime the same exact words--as justification, even vindication, of their theories, creed, platform, demands.

Verbatim wrote:

Let Google take notice that there are, indeed, "labeled interests". I hope that I was able to explain it, failing that I can always claim it as a new coinage.

Thanks for your explanation, Verbatim. It's all clear now, about this word.

I need a little more time to absorb the ideas from your posts, though. I'll come back here to discuss with you, if I have some other problems about the words you said, or if I have some opinions different from yours.

Thank you.
Topic: Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his conscience to the legislator? Why has every man a...
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 8:57:01 PM
Verbatim wrote:

Once we understand Thoreau we understand why he appeals to so many types of people, so many-labeled interests.

Is the word "many-labeled" your own coinage, Verbatim? I searched for it on the internet, but did not get any result.

I'm having difficulty understanding the sentence you wrote, because of this word. Is "many" the modifier of "labeled"? If so, your sentence would read "...appeals to so many types of people, so (many-)labeled interests", and then I would have another problem: what is "labeled interest"? (I googled that too, and got no result.)

Or, I should read it the other way - "many" is modified by "labeled"? "...appeals to so many types of people, so many(-labeled) interests" would be much easier for me to comprehend, but I have some feeling that it's not the message you were trying to convey.

Could you please enlighten me?
Topic: The Mystery of Christ
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 11:08:00 AM
The Writer wrote:

God`s predestined plan for the whole universe

I haven't read the link you provided, TheWriter. But I wonder how you define "God's predestined plan". Do you mean this:

“For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified” (Romans 8:29-30)