User Name: ReydePalabras
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: For he that does good, having the unlimited power to do evil, deserves praise not only for the good which he performs, but...
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 9:23:32 AM
Verbatim, wow, powerful words.

I think virtue might be born from restraint. Restraint from temptation, as some of may know, is an action performed on a deeper level.
Topic: Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his conscience to the legislator? Why has every man a...
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:00:57 PM
Just love Thoreau. Going spend this weekend reading 'Civil Disobedience". Does anyone know of any hidden gems of Thoreau's that I should read?
Topic: Traveling is a fool's paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places.
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:08:20 AM

For some reason, I feel like Ernest Hemingway would have written the exact opposite.
Topic: Examine your words well, and you will find that even when you have no motive to be false, it is a very hard thing to say the...
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:35:18 AM
The naughty truth, how it evades us even in our exactitude, against our best intentions![/quote]

Speaking the truth is a cultivated talent. Ironically, you have to train for it.
Topic: All idealization makes life poorer. To beautify it is to take away its character of complexity—it is to destroy it.
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:32:07 AM
Some of us see complexity as the beautiful part of life. Beauty and complexity are not antithesis. (This is a rebuttal to the excerpt, and not his broader argument).
Topic: Examine your words well, and you will find that even when you have no motive to be false, it is a very hard thing to say the...
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:48:00 AM
Oh, how this is true. For some reason, the truth has a way of 'naturally' distancing itself from us as we become more and more socialized, and less and far less courageous.
Topic: I have been, as the phrase is, liberally educated, and am fit for nothing.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:42:16 AM

I believe "fit" is being used in the normative sense, and probably "liberal" as well. The world and education seem to be moving towards a more interdisciplinary approach to education, which makes sense because the issues of the world are interdisciplinary. Even medicine is beginning to understand the benefits of a holistic approach to clients, which requires more knowledge in the fields of psychology, sociology, arts, etc..

On another note -- I have a bone to pick with the going notion that an eclectic individual is not a expert in any single field. If we look at most of the great minds of the past, many of them embraced a plethora of disciplines from poetry to mathematics (i.e. Da Vinci, Michelangelo, George Washington Carver, etc..) I think its regressive to admonish the Renaissance Man.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.