Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 464
[0.05% of all post / 0.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Delete Account
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:27:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I think it's time I deleted my account (if it's possible? I'm assuming this is the best place to ask), however, I'd just like to thank to the members of this site as it's been an invaluable tool in helping me to improve my English.

Best wishes,
Emma
Topic: Is this paraphrasing?
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:37:46 PM
Would you say it's similar to the point where I'd need to change it? I don't want to copy the other writer, and it's a relatively easy fix.
Topic: Is this paraphrasing?
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:52:12 PM
Just wondering, is the sentence in red paraphrasing the sentence in green? I really liked the image and read it somewhere online. I'm sure people know what it's like when you get something into your head, and at first was using kiss so it was paraphrasing. The use of meet, however, works better in terms of meaning here, and hopefully solves the problem...

“I have never seen anything as beautiful as the way that the waves gently meet the shore.”

'Because there's nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it's sent away.'
Topic: Punctuation of Disclaimer
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:37:26 PM
FounDit wrote:
I would have put a comma after, "In Emma's non-fiction memoirs and articles,...", but I saw nothing else that I would have changed.

Thanks a bunch FounDit! Dancing
Topic: Punctuation of Disclaimer
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:00:44 PM
Hello! Just looking for a quick check here, is the punctuation OK and are there no missing words (I have an awful habit of missing out words...)

Thanks in advance!

All writing on this website is the intellectual property of Emma Guinness. Any quotations used have been credited to their original writers, and, where possible, those who have inspired Emma have been contacted to acknowledge their influence on her work, with full credit given in Iona Breakfast Time to Bryan Stanley Johnson’s House Mother Normal - of which it is a creative reproduction.

In Emma's non-fiction memoirs and articles certain people's names have been changed, along with other select details such as gender, to protect their identities.

The writing on this website may be shared freely on social media, providing that full credit is given to the writer. It may not, however, be used for academic plagiarism.
Topic: Meaning of certain punctuation marks?
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:07:30 PM
Hi guys, just wondering are the little square brackets [] to be used when editing an original article? I.E. Changing its punctuation to fit with the syntax of the sentence you're writing?

Often the root of many animals being endangered is a result of them being eaten or, as noted in this article about the environmental impacts of meat production, "habitat destruction" caused by the "livestock industry" as the "[c]learing the trees and land..."

Thanks in advance! :)
Topic: Waffling with extra vocab...
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 1:48:05 PM
Just wondering, does this revised sentence read better than the original? Does it make more sense to use "bolted" here instead of "fled" to ultimately convey a better image?

Edit: She pushed him down and bolted, tripping on the steps on her way out of the cellar.

Original: In response, she pushed him to the ground, and fled the room.

If so, is it a good idea to omit "to the ground" after down?

She pushed him down to the ground and bolted, tripping on the steps on her way out of the cellar.

Context if it's needed:

Trembling, he heard quiet, muffled crying from beneath the floorboards. His eyes were then drawn to a black key in the cellar door. He leaned down to open it, and entered. After walking down some steps, he saw a pale, malnourished girl – who had been kept alive by a wine barrel at the end of the cellar. She shrieked in terror. Could it be that the black cat had led him to this moment? Was this his beloved Johanna? And to what extent had his mind betrayed him? Hesitantly, he approached the girl, and as he saw the silver key that hung from her neck, knew that it was her. She pushed him down and bolted, tripping on the steps on her way out of the cellar.

Topic: Is this detail necessary?
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 1:34:22 PM
NKM wrote:
I agree that it reads better with that joining of paragraphs and without the mention of the tapestries.

I wouldn't say the presence of the tapestries in the rectory is implausible — local priests have been known to do things far worse than misappropriating works of art. But I think their part in the story is a bit of overkill, and you do better without them.

Thanks NKM! Would you also agree that it's best that the cat is only mentioned when in relation to either itself or its guise as the woman, and therefore it creates a better sense of balance rather than mentioning it in relation to another thing?

Hope this makes sense! =P
Topic: Use of Vocabulary
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 1:32:28 PM
Thank you both! Very helpful as ever!
Topic: Identifying special words and sentence words for clairity.
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 1:31:24 PM
I once heard that the art of writing is the art of paying attention. Yes, individual words are important, but sometimes saying what you want to say in the simplest possible manner is the best course.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.