Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 225
[0.03% of all post / 0.12 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: wrong pronunciation instead correct one
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 7:33:02 AM
Priscilla86. It is not about specific situation. It's mostly about kid-ish and adult speech.
In school we have rule of finding correct writing: if you don't know which vowel to write - simple change word so that the vowel to be stressed.
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:15:19 PM
Dialect and accent are clear for me. "Thee" instead of "the" is clear for me too. "Estimate" pronounced differently is clear for me too.
But I can't figure out of "bird" as "boid" - there is one vowel in this word - "schwa" so the word "bird" can't be changed because of stressed schwa (if there is one vowel in word it is always stressed).

I wonder if there are unstressed vowels in a words of English speech that tend to be changed without losing essence of the word.
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:33:40 AM
Hi.
In Russian speech we have peculiar thing: some words in speech may chanage unstressed vowel so that meaning of these words is not changing. For example we (in Russia) can say "собака" (a dog, correct writing) and we can say "сабака" (a dog, uncorrect writing). Funny thing is that in Russia we can say either word and can understand it is a dog. It is so obvious for us that in school we have to learn correct writing of this words and study rule to find correct writing also.
We have great number of such a strange words:
"котёнок" (correct writing and correct pronunciation) - "катёнок" (uncorrect writing and correct pronunciation)
"молоко" - "молако"
"висеть" - "весеть"
and etc.
As I can see this happened with pairs of vowels such as а-о and е-и.

I have a question: do you have words in English speech that have different pronunciation (in one vowel) but have the same meaning?
Topic: It had been one of those kinds of days
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 3:42:16 AM
Thanks, L.Rai. You helped me a lot.
Topic: It had been one of those kinds of days
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 2:20:34 AM
Hi. I have the text:

It took a long time to make it back to the lake because Bryce was limping so much. Even Griffin looked shaken. I just wanted to get back, have some dinner, and crawl into bed with my diary. It had been one of those kinds of days.

Can you explain me what "It had been one of those kinds of days" means. I can understand grammar but I can't understand usage of this phrase. Does it mean that day was the same like others?

Thanks in advance.
Topic: bounded to the steps
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 9:49:01 AM
Hi.
I have the text:

My heart pounded as we raced for the stairs. Water gushed through the canyon while we clawed our way to the metal railing. Griffin helped me up, and I used the rails to jump two steps at a time. Bryce bounded to the steps just as a surge of water whashed past us.

What does "bounded to the steps" mean? Which is correct:
1) bounded on the steps;
2) bounded near the steps.

Thanks in advance.
Topic: that and which
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 9:33:50 AM
Hi.
Can you explain to me why author used "that" rather than "which". The text in An Imaginary Tale book is:

I want to show you now a problem that was a great puzzle until quite late in the nineteenth century.

Thanks.
Topic: Highs near 100
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 10:14:53 AM
Hi. What does "Highs near 100" mean. The text is:

Bryce studied the weather forecast on the boat's computer.
Partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms late morning. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs near 100. Chance of rain, 50 percent.

Thanks.
Topic: pointing camera
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:15:10 AM
Hi. Can you explain me what do "pointing" mean (I can't choose proper meaning in TFD).
The text is:

It was Curly, the guy with the cameras. I thought he was comming for the girl, but instead of helping us, he shot pictures of us huddled on the bank.
"What are you doing?" I yelled at him.
"My job," he said, snapping shot after shot.
Above us came a scream, and Curly looked up. As I followed his pointing camera, a muscle-bound guy without a shirt dived over the rail.

Thanks.
Topic: need your help to translate
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:36:18 AM
Thank you too, ashscot50.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.