Number of Posts: 115
[0.01% of all post / 0.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: did vs would
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 10:34:26 AM
Hi.

In my kids book I have text:

"Oh no", Bryce said, moaning. "Look".
He pointed his flashlight at our mailbox. Mom had picked out a big one so she could send and recieve her manuscripts. She'd painted flowers on the side, rising like vines, and had let Bryce and me help.
Now the mailbox seemed to cling to the post with its last ounce of strenght. It lay flat, the flowers bent, and the red flag Bryce had painted with white stripes and stars hung near the ground.
"Why would they do that?" I said, gasping.

Can you explain to me when English people say "Why would they do that?" and when they say "Why did they do that?"?

Thanks in advance.
Topic: air turns nippy vs crow caws
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 10:17:26 AM
Thanks for your explaination, FounDit.
I felt bad with this crow but with your help I feel better.
Topic: air turns nippy vs crow caws
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:48:04 AM
Hi.
In my Red Rock Mystery in book 3 on page 4 there is text which messed me up:

A coyote yipped in the distance, and I glanced at red rocks rising behind us. The air turned nippy as a crow flew overhead and cawed.

Does it mean that air turned nippy because crow flew overhead and cawed? or it means air turned nippy then crow flew overhead and cawed?
For example in this book a little after there is a text which looks natural for me (I'm russian):

"Mailbox baseball", Bryce said. "Guys ride around with a baseball bat and flatten mailboxes as they drive by. It's some kind of a stupid contest".

Can you explain to me why authors put "as" between "the air turned nippy" and "a crow flew overhead and cawed"?
What work "as" does here?

Thanks.
Topic: would
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 9:03:21 AM
Thanks for your replies.
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:23:35 PM
I have a problem in my text yet.
May be someone can help me understand what fun or groove is in the "Would you two get older so you can do this?"?
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:54:53 AM
Hi, Audiendus.
May be "It seems you two get older so you can do this?" or "Looks like you two get older so you can do this?".
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:49:32 AM
FounDit, thanks for your reply.
I suppose "Would you two get older so you can do this?" could means "It seems you two got older so you can do this?" or "Looks like you two got older so you can do this?".

Can you correct me?
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:00:41 AM
In my book there is text:

We left our ATVs at Mrs. Watson's and walked to town so Ashley could keep trying to sell candles. We stoped at the Toot Toot Cafe, where Mr. Crumpus was setting out silverware for the dinner rush.
He smiled. "Would you two get older so you can do this?".

Can you explain to me what work "would" does?
Topic: take up
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:42:54 AM
I was so stupid with mixing "drunk" with "drink".Brick wall
FounDit, NKM, FROSTY X RIME, thanks for your explaination.
Topic: take up
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:27:27 AM
Thanks, FROSTY X RIME.
I can't understand "support in arguments". As I can understand this phrase means "you are taking that drink to support our talk?" or something similar. Am I right?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.