Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 252
[0.03% of all post / 0.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Will all Russians go to heaven?
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 6:24:45 AM
Most embarrassed that persons who take "пиндосы" in relation to Americans are working on American's soft, use American's YouTube, American/European hardware and appliance. And on meeting with American ambassador Michael McFaul they ask him (with such a wonder) why do you think America is more progressive than Russia?
Topic: don't give in
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 2:58:41 AM
People, I'd like to know meaning of "don't give in". If Sarrriesfan is right and that meaning is "put it another way continue to do what you are doing" then the text in the song

Don't give in, don't come any closer

means simply
Go on, don't come any closer.

I can understand that lyric sometimes makes mess, if it was not mess can you write in the reply the meaning of this "don't give in"?
Topic: don't give in
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 11:05:32 AM
Hi. The lyric of Poison Arrows by Mike Oldfield is

Silence in the air. Is anybody there? Searching every sound. Walking on quiet ground
Somebody's out to get you! Hiding in shadows - poison arrows. Somebody's out to break you! Hiding in narrows - Poison arrows
When you gonna break? Watching every move you make And everything you do, Evil eyes'll be on you.
Somebody's out to get you! Hiding in shadows - poison arrows. Somebody's out to break you! Hiding in narrows - Poison arrows
Don't give in, don't come any closer, No sir! Keep running, coming in closer, Closer.
Don't give in, don't come any closer, No sir! Keep running, coming in closer, Closer.
What you gonna do? Time is running out on you. Anywhere you choose, Anyway, you're gonna lose.

As I can understand the text of this song is connecting with some "hunting-hiding" things - someone is searching and someone is hiding.
In the TFD "give in" means "To cease opposition; yield" ("to cease to dampen on someone" in my words). It would be clear for me if the text:

/Give in, don't come any closer, No sir! Keep running, coming in closer, Closer. - i.e. Don't dampen on me, don't come any closer, No sir! Keep running, coming in closer, Closer./

But there is "don't give in" - i.e. "don't cease to dampen on me". Can you exlain me what thought is expressed in this song by "don't give in"?
Topic: what a thing vs what the thing
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2018 9:21:47 AM
Hi.
Can you explain to me what difference in meaning are there in these two phrases:

1) What a thing!
2) What the thing!

When do English-speaking people speak "a thing" and "the thing"?
Thanks.
Topic: to use up vs to use
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 9:01:13 AM
Hi. Can you explain to me why author was writing "using up" rather than simple "use". The text in mathematical book is:

The story I heard while an undergarduate electrical engineering student goes like this: Imagine a three-dimensional plot, with the real (x) and imaginary (y) axes using up two dimensions to form the complex plane, and |f(z)| plotted on the third axis.

I am not able to feel difference of "to use" and "to use up".
Topic: the presumed pilot
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:34:35 AM
Thanks thar and DragOnspeaker.
I have one more question - does the meaning change if that sentence include adverb "presumably" instead of adjective as "A man whose pilot certificate was revoked 21 years ago for lying on his medical application was presumably the pilot of a Cessna 335 high performance twin that crashed near Palm Beach County Park Airport a week ago, killing him and his wife."?
Topic: the presumed pilot
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:37:01 AM
Hi. The text from news is:

A man whose pilot certificate was revoked 21 years ago for lying on his medical application was the presumed pilot of a Cessna 335 high performance twin that crashed near Palm Beach County Park Airport a week ago, killing him and his wife.

I have two question.
1. What does "presumed" mean here? Is it meaning "no doubt it was pilot"?
2. What thought is expressed here by "the" before "presumed pilot"? I watched in TFD but couldn't choose proper meaning.

Thanks.
Topic: delicate advance and retreat
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2018 3:41:13 AM
Hi.
The text of Delicate by Terence Trent D'Arby is:

Delicate like rain
Delicate like snow
Delicate like birds
Delicate just so
Delicate like air
Delicate like breeze
Delicate like you and me
A delicate advance
A delicate retreat
Delicately planned
Delicate like peace
Delicate like a touch
That's delicately brief
Delicate like you and me
Delicate like trinkets on her bracelet
(Like trinkets on her bracelet)
Delicate like a bracelet on your arm
(Like a bracelet on your arm)
Delicate like sweet arms around me
(Your sweet arms around me)
Delicate like me on top of you
Delicate like words
Delicate how time
So delicately runs
Then delicately dies
Delicate how eyes
So delicately breathe
Delicate like you my dear
Delicate like me my love
Delicate like you and
Delicate like me and
Delicate like
Delicate like you and me

I wonder what do "advance" and "retreat" mean here? Is there any ambiguity in this song?
Delicate is here on Youtube Delicate
Topic: help me understand the text
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 10:13:07 PM
Thank all of you so much for yours explanation.

Yes, Romany, I can understand your examples.
Topic: an output seconf
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 9:32:00 AM
The text is:

By the time he died he had written more than eight hundred papers and seven books, an output second only to Euler's.

What does "an output second" mean in this context?
Thanks.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.