Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 21
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: “You” singular/plural
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 11:14:54 PM
Hello!
Thank you very much, FounDit and thar, for your interest and time. Your answers are really helpful. I hope other ESL students with the same confusion find your posts here.
Regards.
Topic: “You” singular/plural
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:05:49 AM
Hello,

Please, tell me whether what I understand about why the word “you” refers to singular and plural is correct. Thanks in advance for revision and whatever corrections.

In Spanish, the pronoun “you” has a singular word, which is “tú” (informal) or “usted” (formal) and a plural word, which is “ustedes” (formal/informal).
I understand that in English “you” has a singular meaning; it refers to one person; and “you all” has a plural meaning; it refers to more than one person.
Am I right?

Then what about this paragraph excerpt from a book:

"…you will also find out what you really are; how you got here; exactly why you and all other people behave and feel the way that you do"

It doesn’t say “you all” but “you” although it refers to more than one person. If the noun antecedent refers to more than one person, does it mean that the word "you" is (automatically) plural/has a plural meaning?
So "you and all other people" is the noun (noun-phrase) that the pronoun (you) replaces in this case?
If where it says "you and all other people" it said "you" only, how do I know that "you" refers to more than one person? By adding "all" (you all)?

Thanks a lot in advance for answers. Dancing This is one of the most confusing points for all (at least Hispanic) ESL* self-taught-learners.

*ESL = English as a Second Language
Topic: Where’s a link to go to the forum?
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:12:09 AM
Yes! I got it! Dancing

Thank you all very much.
Topic: “Could you tell me where do I find it?”
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 8:00:48 PM
Hello, friends,

Thank you all very much for your answers. I pasted them to my OneNote.

Problem solved!

Best Regards. Angel

Topic: Where’s a link to go to the forum?
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 2:33:15 PM
Hello,

If I am at thefreedictionary.com (homepage), where’s a link to go to the forum? Anxious

I hope this helps.

Regards
Touchito
Topic: “Could you tell me where do I find it?”
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 12:44:42 PM
Hello,

I’d really appreciate if someone could recommend me a good tutorial about the part of grammar that I have to study about this:

If I ask “Could you tell me where to find it?” the question is about if you could (whatever it is).
If I ask “Could you tell me where do I find it?” the questions are about if you could and about where do I; two different questions instead of one, isn’t it? So it must be an incorrect construction, but
a) Is it really incorrect or not?
b) How usual it is (even if it is incorrect)?
c) Where do I find a grammar chapter about this? Think

Thanks a lot for any guidance.
Touchito
Topic: "Awake it up" or just "awake it"?
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:37:45 AM
Thank you, KAS,

I am a Spanish speaker, and learning English is not easy; there still are a lot of confusing words to me, like wake vs. awake, asleep vs. sleeping, while vs. awhile, enquiry vs. inquiry… I’m going to have to re-study all those words.

Thank you very much for your help and fast response.
Touchito
Topic: "Awake it up" or just "awake it"?
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 11:35:19 PM
Hello, everybody!

I would say “I’m going to awake him/her up”, but if I’m talking about my computer (in standby mode), should I say "I’m going to awake it up”? I don’t know if “up” really applies in this case from the point of view of sense, more than from the point of view of grammar. Eh?

Thanks for Help
Touchito
Topic: Ayudar entender
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:25:11 AM
Hello, patovaanna!

Aquel hombre destilaba una oratoria…
”destilaba” es language figurado (2. tr. Filtrar. Hacer pasar un líquido por un filtro. U. t. c. prnl.) Aquí significa que (aquel hombre) era un gran orador.

…capaz de…
“capaz” viene de capacidad. Ser muy capaz de algo significa tener gran capacidad para ello; poder hacer; poder lograr.

…aniquilar las moscas al vuelo”
100 por ciento lenguage figurado. Literalmente significa “matar las moscas en el aire al ir volando”. En sentido figurado significa que el poder persuasivo de las palabras del orador (por la forma como hablaba) era tan grande que podía sentirse en el ambiente.

Espero ayude.
Saludos
Touchito (Mexican)
Topic: Are these two alternate sentence constructions correct?
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:31:15 AM
Hello, CovenantWord and DragOnspeaker,
Question more than answered.

Thank you very much for your time. I learned a lot more from your answers, than from long tutorials that I’ve visited. You both are really kind.

Saludos from Las Vegas
Touchito.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.