Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,067
[0.11% of all post / 0.47 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "recently" at the end of a sentence
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:11:20 PM
1. I'm still studying English, and I recently enrolled in a great language school here.
2. I'm still studying English, and I have recently enrolled in a great language school here.

3. I enrolled in a great language school here recently.
4. I have enrolled in a great language school here recently.

Hi,

I know that 1 and 2 are OK. But how about 3 and 4? I mean can I use "recently" at the end?

Thank you.

Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
Topic: in the last two years
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:08:19 PM
Do you have any information about Jack?
No. I have seen him twice in the last two years.
No. I saw him twice in the last two years.

self-made

Hello,

Grammar rules say:

Use the present perfect to talk about an indefinite time in the past.
Use the simple past tense to talk about a definite or specific time.

Now I don't know whether "last two years" is regarded as an "indefinite time in the past" or "specific time in the past". Accordingly I don't know which one of my sentences is right.

Any guidance?

Thank you.

Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
Topic: have been expressing / has participated
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:11:04 PM
Do you mean my options cannot work?

Topic: have been expressing / has participated
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 12:34:24 PM
Chiaki Mukai, a medical doctor as well as Japan's first female astronaut, ...... (participate) in space flights since 1994. John Glenn, the famous U.S. astronaut, and many others ....... (express) admiration for her achievements.

Answer key:
has been participating (unfinished action)
have expressed (finished action)

Hello,
Can "has participated" and "have been expressing" also work?

Thank you.

Topic: Habitat for Humanity .................... (build) more than 175,000 houses
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 11:15:11 AM
Grammar practice. Complete the following biographical notes. Use the present perfect continuous for unfinished actions. Use the present perfect for finished actions.

Millard and Linda Fuller created Habitat for humanity, a worldwide organization that for almost thirty years ............ (help) people build houses for themselves. Since its founding in 1976, Habitat for Humanity .................... (build) more than 175,000 houses around the world.

Answer key:
has been helping (unfinished action)
has built (finished action)

Source: Summit 2 American English by Joan Saslow

Hello,
It's really difficult to identify whether an action is finished or unfinished. Why can't we use "has helped" in the first blank and "has been building" in the second blank?

Thank you.

Topic: has studied/has designed
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:25:10 AM
Grammar practice. Complete the following biographical notes. Use the present perfect continuous for unfinished actions. Use the present perfect for finished actions.

Sylvia Earle .......... (study) the plant and animal life of the world's oceans for close to fifty years. She .............. (be) fascinated by the ocean ever since she moved to the Gulf of Mexico as a young girl. For more than twenty years, she .............. (design) equipment for exploring the ocean floor.

Source: Summit 2 American English by Joan Saslow

Answer key:
1. has been studying
2. has been
3. has been designing

Hi,
I say to myself that in the first blank "has studied" and in the third blank "has designed" can also work because we don't know if she is still alive or dead and we don't know if she is still continuing or not.

Am I right?

Thank you.

Topic: stuck in his head to ask
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2019 1:15:35 AM
The robbers hurried away with their loot, and the newlyweds sat through the night. At dawn a policeman walked by and, noticing the open door, stuck in his head to ask if everything was all right. "Is this your house? What happened to all your furniture?" And getting no response, he raised his hand to hit the man.

Hi,
I couldn't find the meaning of the bold written part in the dictionaries.

What does it mean exactly? What does the word "stuck" mean there?

Thank you.

Topic: Teach / teach to
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 1:33:35 PM
A: Tell me about your teaching experience.
B: I have taught to different age groups of students for five years.
B: I have taught different age groups of students for five years.

Self-made

Hi,
Which one is correct? The first B with "to" or the second B without "to"?

Thank you.

Topic: Supermarket / department store
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 4:38:24 AM
Hello,
What's the difference between a supermarket and a department store?

Thank you.

Topic: pedestrian mall /VS/ outlet mall
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:11:34 AM
Hello,
Are "pedestrian mall" and "outlet mall" the same thing?

Thank you.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.