Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 970
[0.12% of all post / 0.68 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It's (one word or two words?)
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:54:02 PM
Thank you but isn't your answer in contrast with the brown explanation? The brown explanation regard it as two words. Doesn't it?

Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
Topic: It's (one word or two words?)
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:32:15 PM

Do contractions count as one word or two?
Contracted words count as the number of words they would be if they were not contracted. For example,
isn’t, didn’t, I’m, I’ll are counted as two words (replacing is not, did not, I am, I will). Where the contraction
replaces one word (e.g. can’t for cannot), it is counted as one word.

Source: www.cambridgeenglish.org/images/248530-cambridge-english-proficiency-faqs.pdf

Source of the exercise (kids' book)
: Family and Friends 1 by Naomi Simmons

Hi,
Can we say that according to the brown explanation "it's" in my students' books is considered two words and we should circle "it" and " 's " separately?

Thank you.

Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
Topic: I Don't Have .....
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 3:03:22 PM

1. I don't have three pens.

2. I don't have pens.

3. I don't have any pen.

4. I don't have any pens.

Hi,

I think all of them are correct. Am I right? I just have a little doubt on #2.

Thank you.

Topic: We can't see ..... .
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 3:02:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXVwUwgrhdI

Hi,

In the above link there is a cartoon for kids. I can't understand one small part at the time 01:14 when they see a train coming in fog one of them says "Look! It's so funny. We can't see ..... . Wait. Heart that?"

I can't understand what he says in the red part. What does he say?

Thank you.

Topic: I Want To Teach . . .
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 8:58:20 AM

1. I want to teach kids English.

2. I want to teach English for kids.

3. I want to teach English to kids.

Hi,

Would you please tell me which is wrong and which is correct?

Thank you.

Topic: within the five-kilometer limit
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 12:12:20 PM
By "five-kilometer limit" I mean the tanks of Turkey have occupied 5 kilometers of Iraq's territories (from the border).

Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 11:52:49 AM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:

2nd sentence: 5-kilometer limit, measured from where?

From the border between the two countries.
What changes should I make in the second sentence to make it correct?

Thank you.

Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 10:45:42 AM
1. Canada charges that French and Russian fishing ships violated its waters by fishing within the two-hundred-mile limit it claims along its Pacific and Atlantic coasts.

Source: American English learning book Summit 1 by Joan Saslow and Allen Ascher

2. Obama said that Turkish army tanks have violated some of the lands of Iraq within the five-kilometer limit.

Source: self-made

Hi,
Sentence #2 is self-made. But why can't the red part work when the blue part can? They have the same construction.

So, what's wrong with the red part in my self-made sentence in #2?

Thank you.

Topic: trade barriers
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:01:38 PM
1. Our government should remove trade barriers of/on/in wheat.

2. Russia should remove its trade barriers with/on/of/from Iran (when importing and exporting beef).

Hello,
Would you please help me with the prepositions in #1 and #2?

Thank you.

Topic: races in and around
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:24:29 AM
Marcos Ariel, My Only Passion
Another brilliant set from the richly talented Brazilian keyboardist / composer Marcos Ariel. Check out the unpredictable interplay between the group members in "Bahia Suite," where Meia Noite's exciting percussion sets the tempo, while Ariel's piano races in and around Frank Gambale's surprising guitar lines.

Source: American English learning book Summit 1 by Joan Saslow and Allen Ascher

Hi,
What does the bold written part mean?

Thank you.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.