User Name: sb70012
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,015
[0.12% of all post / 0.62 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I couldn't catch/make the flight.
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:50:03 AM
I couldn't catch the flight.

Hi,
Can "make" also work instead of "catch" in the sentence above with the same meaning?

Thank you.

Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
Topic: When figuring the cost of a car, don't eliminate such extras as air conditioning.
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:02:12 AM
I found an e-book on the internet. I think it has been mistyped in my book. Because in the e-book it's not "don't eliminate. It's "eliminate.

In the e-book it's => When figuring the cost of a car, eliminate such extras as air conditioning.

Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
Topic: When figuring the cost of a car, don't eliminate such extras as air conditioning.
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:24:35 AM
When figuring the cost of a car, don't eliminate such extras as air conditioning.

Source
: 504 Essential words by Murray Bromberg

Hi,
I know the meanings of each word in the blue part but I can't understand it as a whole. Would you please clarify this sentence to me? What's the whole meaning? What does the whole sentence want to tell us?

Thank you.

Topic: except eating /vs./ except eat
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 9:31:59 AM
My dog is so lazy. It can't do anything except eating food. Hahahaha.
My dog is so lazy. It can't do anything except eat food. Hahahaha.

Hello,
Which one is right?

Thank you.

Topic: I think it's at/in someone's house/home.
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 6:34:11 AM
Hi,
Suppose that a little dog is lost in a town.

1. I think it's at someone's house.
2. I think it's in someone's house.
3. I think it's at someone's home.
4. I think it's in someone's home.

Which ones are correct and which ones are wrong?

Thank you.

Topic: The exam is marked out of 50.
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 2:43:17 PM
The exam is marked out of 50.

Hi,
The sentence above is British. How can I say the sentence above in American English?

Thank you.

Topic: grade of
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 2:26:25 PM
1. You got a grade of 10 in math in April.
2. He got a grade of A in math.
3. I got a grade of A on that course.

Hello,
Are the sentences above OK and acceptable in the US?

Thank you.

Topic: pass score in the US?
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 10:57:54 AM
Thank you but is "pass score" also used in the US or not?

Topic: The highest mark was a B.
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 8:14:27 AM
The highest mark was a B.

Hi,
The above sentence was used by a teacher saying to his students.

What happens if we omit the article "a" before the "B"? I mean => The highest mark was B.

Thank you.

Topic: pass score in the US?
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 8:07:57 AM
BrE: The pass mark is 70.
AmE: The passing grade is 70.

By the above sentences I mean the mark you need to be successful at school exams.

This is my question from Americans:

Is "pass score" also used in the US or not?

Thank you.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.