User Name: aloe_vera
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 16
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: King Henry VIII Marries His Fourth Wife
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:29:20 PM
Cut and paste from article: Protestant Reformers still faced persecution, particularly over objections to Henry's annulment. Many fled abroad where they met further difficulties, including the influential Tyndale,[194] who was eventually executed and his body burned at Henry's behest.
Seriously? The Catholics who somehow managed to lose all their property, priests, monasteries and hundreds of lives of clerics, priests and some laity (in an exceeding painful and vicious way) were somehow busy at the same time "persecuting" the Protestants? Does anyone there read this stuff before you put it up??
Topic: Pennsylvania Student Goes on Stabbing Rampage
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:40:55 PM
Whether it's bullying or "being different" whatever, human nature never changes; this was so in the 1950's as it is now but there weren't these sort of headlines. Such a thing would have stunned the nation because it would have been so bizarre and unheard of. What has changed is the emphasis on "self" in recent decades in the U.S. Self-esteem, self-affirmation not to forget creative math/spelling/history in our schools. Teaching our children they are the sole arbiters of what is of value. We've created a generation of narcissists. Then there's the "selfies" and the problems that arise with the young's inability to truly socialize without a device in hand. The simple answer, which has been unfortunately banished from our schools, and that has definitely changed is the Golden Rule of putting the consideration of another first and asking one's self: "how would I feel if it were me?" The deemers in education see this as harmful. So sad.
Topic: hidebound
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 6:17:04 PM
Interestingly, when "Traditionalist" is clicked on for the definition, the logo of the Republican party comes up accompanied by a photo of a crabby looking fellow that I don't recognize.
I am a Traditionalist and conservative. Old ideas, principals and values that have been proved to be good are worth holding on to. Wise enough to know the Founding Fathers had an excellent grasp of human nature to make it as difficult as possible for every passing whim to overthrow the country. They recognized the brilliance of what a free people could do while restraining those voters who'd rush out to buy pet rocks and such. I'm all for common sense.
Topic: Nuptial love maketh mankind; friendly love perfecteth it; but wanton love corrupteth, and embaseth it.
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:37:16 PM
MTC: You maketh me laugth.
Topic: Umar ibn al-Khattab
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:25:43 PM
TFD Daemon made a grievous error in political correctness in their use of "CE" to designate the year of Umar's succession to caliph the year 634 CE, should be represented as 12 "ME".
Topic: Cruelty, like every other vice, requires no motive outside of itself,—it only requires opportunity.
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:35:28 PM
It seems to me that a vice is an ordinary pleasure taken to the extreme ultimately leading to self-destruction. Cruelty is not a vice, it is evil. It is taking or causing pleasure in the humiliation or pain in the destruction another. There is no ordinary basis to begin from that's acceptable.
Topic: Let a fool be made serviceable according to his folly.
Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2013 4:37:17 PM
My Pop always told us: "When arguing with a fool, make sure he is not likewise occupied."
Topic: Money and goods are certainly the best of references.
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 5:19:06 PM
Didn't work too well for Simon Magus.
Topic: Are you colour blind?
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 9:36:13 AM
Ha! Good one! Took me 5 times before I got it right. It does say NOT to read the word -- that was hard to do!
Topic: a or the
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 4:49:51 PM
I agree with you that "the" would be better. To say "a" would suggest that there might be other descriptions or summaries out there as well, but to say "the" is, as you said, 'is known which description and summary" you mean.
Hope this helped. Good luck with your thesis!