The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: dave freak
About
User Name: dave freak
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Varietes of English, British culture, emotional intelligence, social communication, the philosophy o
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,624
[0.18% of all post / 0.89 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: 'Laugh' words
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 2:19:05 PM
Thanks. I somehow mixed up the order of my replies. It's difficult for me to comprehend the difference between titter and giggle, snigger and smirk. Definitions in a dictionary seem alike.
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 9:50:30 AM
I made it! Big thanks DragonSpeaker! From now on, I can post the photo of an exercise without having to write it down! Here's the exercise. I find it challenging because some words are difficult to differentiate. For instance, titter and giggle seem to be synonymous.

My answers:

1 chuckled
2 giggled
3 beamed
4 grinned
5 guffawed
6 sneered
8 sniggers
9 smirks
10 titter
11 laughed

Some words fit in more than one sentence. Dunno really.

Thank you!

Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 6:00:10 AM
Hello guys. I need your help concerning a CPE vocabulary task. However, I don't know how to put the photo of the exercise into the website. I've taken a photo of the page from my coursebook with the help of my mobile and have it in my mailbox. How can I transfer it here? It's simply too much for me to type.

Thanks,
Dave
Topic: Should or must
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:46:41 AM
Read carefully what thar wrote. He knows his onions (He knows what's what).

It's not really a tense, it is simply a grammatical structure. We can distinguish present and past modals. Compare:

He can't do that. [present/future] vs he can't have done that. [past].
He shouldn't do this. [present/future] vs he shouldn't have done this. [past].

The formula for past modals is: modal verb + have + PP [The 3rd form of the verb].
Topic: Should or must
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 4:28:07 AM

Hi! Yes, you can. It's past modals.

As far as I remember, it looks like this:

"You shouldn't have said anything." --- you're angry with someone because they said something you didn't want them to say.

"You ought not to have said anything." --- Look above. It's even stronger in meaning. More emphatic.

"You must have said it." --- I'm sure you said something.

"You might not have said anything." --- you weren't allowed to say anything, but you did.

"You can't have said anything." --- I'm sure you didn't say anything.

Does it make sense? I'm a learner, so why don't you wait for teachers' responses?
Topic: Someone whose opinion doesn't matter; someone easily defeated
Posted: Friday, December 8, 2017 4:04:52 PM
Thank you all!Applause Pushover seems to be the word I'm hunting. Cheers again.
Topic: Someone whose opinion doesn't matter; someone easily defeated
Posted: Friday, December 8, 2017 2:33:54 PM
Good evening!

I'm looking for a word/an expression which describes someone whose opinion isn't respected/taken into account by others.

1# Let me provide you with the context. I believe the person not brainwashed by political correctness, which seems to be getting Europe nowhere now, realises that those in Berlin and Paris are dealing the cards, sometimes not taking into account the opinion of the remaining 26 countries. Anyway, as for me, Europe seems to be losing its identity, sadly. Again, sorry for the political part. Just wanted to supply you with the context.

2# Another phrase concerns sport. A team easy to beat, and hence not respected by the opponent.

Are there any fixed phrases/idioms to express the ideas above? Or we can only do it in a descriptive way as I did?

Greeting,

Dave

Topic: on / in
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:52:34 AM
There was a time I couldn't understand why English people say 'on the bus', 'on the tram' etc, either. It sounded as if they had been on the roof of a particular means of transport. One English speaker once explained it to me. He told me that "on" is used with public transportation to mean 'on board'. Does it make sense? Anyway, I've used it correctly since then. Dancing (although my native language wants me to use 'in'.)
Topic: Advanced adjectives - multiple choice
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 5:04:07 PM
I don't know how to thank you enough for sharing your extensive knowledge with me, guys.
Topic: on and about
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 10:23:08 AM
I'm no authority, but as far as I can gather, "on" is more often used in the context of scientific articles, book titles, for instance:

Mr Brown gave a lecture on General Anxiety Disorder.

This "on" indicates that the lecture will be given by a professor. "About" is more "down-to-earth", so to speak:

We will talk about General Anxiety Disorder. - we probably aren't experts on the topic. It's a simple talk.

I used to notice "on" used in the titles of academic books. Very often.

I may be wrong, though.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.