The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: dave freak
About
User Name: dave freak
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Varietes of English, British culture, emotional intelligence, social communication, the philosophy o
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,628
[0.18% of all post / 0.79 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: An act of sending an alcoholic into rehab against their will
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 3:20:45 PM
Thank you guys for your help. :-)
Topic: seem or seems
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 3:14:57 PM
No expert, but I will give it a go anyway.

There seems to be a problem with the car.
There seem to be problems with the car.

The car seems to be faulty.

Getting back to the sentence you asked about:

"but there seem to be no issues..."

edit- beaten by Victor.
Topic: An act of sending an alcoholic into rehab against their will
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 10:54:24 AM
Good afternoon guys!

Like in the title, how to say that in English?

It happens quite seldom when an alcohol addict decides themselves to go into rehab. According to the Polish law, if that person makes your whole family's life miserable, you have the right to take them to court so as to force them to go to rehab. What is it called in legal English? Compulsion order? Community Based Treatment Order? What are these? I'd be very indebted if you could provide me with some everyday life examples. I guess there will be some differences between UK and US.

Regards,

Dave

edit: Is it possible in your countries to put your loved ones in rehab without them wanting?
Personally, I don't think rehab will work unless you really want it.
I've just found the term "involuntary commitment". Does it fit here?
Topic: Please/kindly/Please kindly
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 6:03:52 AM
Hello Koh Elaine.

Although I'm no expert on English (I'm learning the language myself), I'd like to say that during my stay in England I have never heard any native English speaker using the word "kindly" accompanied by "please". People of Indian origin were an exception. Some of them did use the word at times, but mostly in writing. The context in which, in my opinion, the word fits is:

She kindly agreed to give me a lift.

With "please" it seems redundant.

Another phrase the word "kindly" is used in is "not to take kindly to" , which basically means "not like something/somebody".

She doesn't take kindly to commuting to work. = she is not happpy with having to commute to work. She'd rather work somewhere near.

Regards

Topic: 'Laugh' words
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 2:19:05 PM
Thanks. I somehow mixed up the order of my replies. It's difficult for me to comprehend the difference between titter and giggle, snigger and smirk. Definitions in a dictionary seem alike.
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 9:50:30 AM
I made it! Big thanks DragonSpeaker! From now on, I can post the photo of an exercise without having to write it down! Here's the exercise. I find it challenging because some words are difficult to differentiate. For instance, titter and giggle seem to be synonymous.

My answers:

1 chuckled
2 giggled
3 beamed
4 grinned
5 guffawed
6 sneered
8 sniggers
9 smirks
10 titter
11 laughed

Some words fit in more than one sentence. Dunno really.

Thank you!

Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 6:00:10 AM
Hello guys. I need your help concerning a CPE vocabulary task. However, I don't know how to put the photo of the exercise into the website. I've taken a photo of the page from my coursebook with the help of my mobile and have it in my mailbox. How can I transfer it here? It's simply too much for me to type.

Thanks,
Dave
Topic: Should or must
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:46:41 AM
Read carefully what thar wrote. He knows his onions (He knows what's what).

It's not really a tense, it is simply a grammatical structure. We can distinguish present and past modals. Compare:

He can't do that. [present/future] vs he can't have done that. [past].
He shouldn't do this. [present/future] vs he shouldn't have done this. [past].

The formula for past modals is: modal verb + have + PP [The 3rd form of the verb].
Topic: Should or must
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2017 4:28:07 AM

Hi! Yes, you can. It's past modals.

As far as I remember, it looks like this:

"You shouldn't have said anything." --- you're angry with someone because they said something you didn't want them to say.

"You ought not to have said anything." --- Look above. It's even stronger in meaning. More emphatic.

"You must have said it." --- I'm sure you said something.

"You might not have said anything." --- you weren't allowed to say anything, but you did.

"You can't have said anything." --- I'm sure you didn't say anything.

Does it make sense? I'm a learner, so why don't you wait for teachers' responses?
Topic: Someone whose opinion doesn't matter; someone easily defeated
Posted: Friday, December 8, 2017 4:04:52 PM
Thank you all!Applause Pushover seems to be the word I'm hunting. Cheers again.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.