Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 29
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Please name this technique!
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 1:57:45 AM
IMcRout, you nailed it. Thank you for taking a moment to read and respond. The definition of simile encapsulate the concept perfectly. I'm rather embarrassed because I really should have known that. You would think I would have remembered from elementary school, but I guess I never really got it or allowed to sink in.

excaelis & HashmukhDoshi, you guys are absolutely correct in that it is not literal. Your interpretation is surprisingly astute for not having read it in context.

Thank you all for helping me out here. This has always been the go-to place for such questions. You guys rock.

How can we expect another to keep our secret if we have been unable to keep it ourselves. -Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Topic: Please name this technique!
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:57:16 PM
There is a technique where illustrations are used to further explain meaning. Let me give you an example, so you know exactly what I'm talking about.

"But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." - 2 Corinthians 3:18

Paul is using glass/mirror, and what we already know about them, to explain what he means by open face.

When we look in a mirror, we don't cover our face with our hands or a veil; We lean in, lift our chin, and push our face forward so we can have a better look at it.

The entire previous sentence is reduced to "as in a glass".

This practice saves a lot of words while adding meaning, and even animating the concept.

There has to be a word that identifies this practice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How can we expect another to keep our secret if we have been unable to keep it ourselves. -Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Topic: Should animal testing be allowed?
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:25:25 AM
I'd wager that rats and mice constitute the lion's share of those numbers. Either way, I see it as a system of control.

If you want people to stop littering in your yard, you strategically provide convenient access to a waste receptacle. Animal testing is the trash can, human testing is the yard.

Topic: Are Humans getting Dumber?
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 9:31:38 PM
As for eugenics, I could go into a long spiel about purebred dogs & cats, ranching practices, winning horses, cattle, royal bloodlines, etc... but a picture is worth a thousand words.

These super cows are like 4th or 5th generation.

In all fairness, selective breeding is a quick and direct route, whereas eugenics is a long-term ambition meant to benefit an entire population, rather than just a few elites.

We probably should have embraced eugenics to some degree. One look at the problems of society, and the causes of those problems, is usually enough.

Topic: How did Shakespeare pronounce "hour"?
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:10:29 PM
Or there's this little exchange between Petruchio and Katherine in The Taming of the Shrew.

Pet. Come, come, you wasp; i’ faith you are too angry.
Kath. If I be waspish, best beware my sting.
Pet. My remedy is, then, to pluck it out.
Kath. Ay, if the fool could find it where it lies.
Pet. Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail.
Kath. In his tongue.
Pet. Whose tongue?
Kath. Yours, if you talk of tails; and so farewell.
Pet. What! with my tongue in your tail? nay, come again. Good Kate, I am a gentleman.
Kath. That I’ll try. [Striking him]
Pet. I swear I’ll cuff you if you strike again.

I'm always curious to hear why someone isn't fan of Shakespeare.

Topic: It is true we love life; not because we are wont to live, but because we are wont to love.
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 3:48:42 AM
People's love of life is proportional to the hopelessness of what they believe to be their alternative.

This can be demonstrated by looking to the islamic suicide bombers, who believe their alternative is an improvement to their current condition. The Christian doctrine even holds suicide as a damnable sin, the one sin you wont be around to ask forgiveness for. And then there is the agnostics and atheists, who have a tendency to cling to their pointless existence with a white-knuckled death-clutch.

Topic: Astral Body
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 3:06:34 AM
I always understood the astral body to be an apparitional representation of our self-perception. That is, how we see ourselves in a mirror, not necessarily how we really look or how others perceive us.

This self-perception is often arrested at the most desirable physical manifestation of our self.

I just recently came across a post, called Reflections, which illustrates this concept rather well.

Topic: Anger managemet issues
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:36:38 PM
Anger Management is a series of classes, ordered by the courts, for individuals who have been arrested for assault & battery where minor or insignificant injuries were sustained. It is intended to serve as an alternative to a weightless conviction.

The problem is that 10 to 20 people are gathered into one place, all of whom are predisposed to violent outbursts, and who are extremely agitated by the inconvenience of having to attend these classes. It could be argued that the entire process is intrinsically counterproductive and provoking.

However, it does successfully dodge incarceration and buys the individuals some extra time to work through whatever it is that's causing the outbursts.

So to say someone has Anger Management issues is a tactful way of implying that they are showing qualities similar to those individuals entangled in the court systems. Depending on the context, it could be a friendly reminder that they need to regather their composure, or it could be a subtle-but-not way of insulting someone.

Topic: fish
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:37:44 AM
It depends heavily on context.

Topic: The duty of journalists
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:27:52 AM
I don't think Truth has a greater enemy than the mainstream media.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.