Profile: Bully_rus
About
User Name: Bully_rus
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3,052
[0.31% of all post / 1.22 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: When I read a book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then I come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase,...
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:52:09 AM
Daemon wrote:
When I read a book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then I come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase, which has a meaning for me, and it becomes part of me.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)

Now and then, yeah my friend. It’s perfectly enough for me. Don't be too greedy and it will work just fine...
Topic: Nothing is so great an instance of ill manners as flattery. If you flatter all the company, you please none: if you flatter...
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 10:22:33 AM
Daemon wrote:
Nothing is so great an instance of ill manners as flattery. If you flatter all the company, you please none: if you flatter only one or two, you affront the rest.

Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)

Yeah. It’s a great skill to have and not everyone can master it to a decent degree. As always in such cases, you need to have talent and perseverance in order to succeed…
Topic: To found principles of government upon too advantageous an estimate of the human character is an error of inexperience, the...
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 2:26:43 AM
Daemon wrote:
To found principles of government upon too advantageous an estimate of the human character is an error of inexperience, the source of which is so amiable that it is impossible to censure it with severity.

John Quincy Adams (1767-1848)

Yeah. Does it mean that pessimists are always right? Is it a safe bet, so to speak?
Topic: Death is a dignitary who when he comes announced is to be received with formal manifestations of respect, even by those most...
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:04:00 AM
Daemon wrote:
Death is a dignitary who when he comes announced is to be received with formal manifestations of respect, even by those most familiar with him.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

Yeah. Though I don’t know what’s better/worse: when this dignitary comes announced or unannounced, and whether he pays any attention to our expectations and preferences...
Topic: She might hate me, and revile me, and heap indignity after indignity upon me, as she already had, until I should have hated...
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 12:39:34 AM
Yeah. Nothing new. Just business as usual. Starting from Adam and Eve till the end of the end - doomsday, presumably.
Topic: Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes, and prism are all very good words for the lips: especially prunes and prism.
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:41:35 AM
Daemon wrote:
Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes, and prism are all very good words for the lips: especially prunes and prism.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Yeah. Though pepsi popsicles are much better for this usage, especially if compared with the prism...
Topic: Poor nations are hungry, and rich nations are proud; and pride and hunger will ever be at variance.
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 12:36:15 AM
Yeah. The whole world is at variance with others and itself. But is it really necessary to have so many poor creatures - whatever they are - or it is just a plan in motion?
Topic: Affection is the broadest basis of good in life.
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 2:30:41 AM
Yeah. Youth is so rash and presumptuous in its plans and expectations. And it's not always bad, as you may think at first...
Topic: All the learnin' my father ever paid for was a bit o' birch at one end and the alphabet at th' other.
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 11:23:42 AM
Daemon wrote:
All the learnin' my father ever paid for was a bit o' birch at one end and the alphabet at th' other.

George Eliot (1819-1880)

Yeah. Sometimes all you need are just a few encouraging and motivational slaps. That’s all.

Topic: There are strings … in the human heart that had better not be vibrated.
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 12:51:43 AM
Yeah. Because some strings when they are breaking can harm you more than the others... Different strokes for different folks.