Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 36
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Defining Concrete Uncountable Nouns
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 3:39:57 PM
"Uncountable nouns cannot take the indefinite articles a or an in a sentence, because these words indicate a single amount of something. Likewise, they cannot take numbers or plural forms, because there cannot be multiple units of them."
"Waters of March."
"I went into the woods."
"I am late in turning in three Homeworks."
"We will take care of all the accommodations."
Are these exceptions to this rule?
Topic: 'Inbred' - is it a bad thing to be?
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 6:54:09 PM
Thank you Sarrriesfan.
So, "inbred" may mean "bearing birth defect"?
Or, at the very blandest, the result of an incestuous relation?
Topic: 'Inbred' - is it a bad thing to be?
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 5:39:41 PM
I saw this news piece on SkyNews today where a U.K. MP (Angela Rayner) criticized her colleagues by saying "MP's think northerners are 'inbred'".
http://news.sky.com/story/labour-conference-angela-rayner-says-mps-think-northerners-are-inbred-11052751
I checked Farlex for the word, and all it mentions is 'breeding practices' or "ingrained" culture.
I wondered if the U.K.'s 'northerners' tendentially have sex only among themselves or are in anyway famous for it?
Is it perhaps a new insulting slang, also not in the Thesaurus?
The comments seem to indicate it could mean something like "stuck-up" or cold or rude. 'Closed to outsiders' would seem logical.
Can anyone elaborate, please? Thank you.

(THE LINK ISN'T SHOWING: news.sky.com/story/labour-conference-angela-rayner-says-mps-think-northerners-are-inbred-11052751)
Topic: What does "How come" mean? [Idioms]
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 5:23:36 PM
"How come" means basically "why" or "how is it that" and is used mainly to give emphasis to puzzling questions, especially by kids: "How come he gets two cookies and I only get one?"
"Everyone's inside! How come you're still here?" implies you want a good explanation, a reason, a justification for a situation that raises doubts in your mind.
It's just an emphasized "why" or perhaps a "why, in the world...?"
Topic: Samuel Houston (1793)
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 6:23:05 AM
"Glad the wife left me!"
Topic: What is a doctor who treats animals called?
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 4:14:33 AM
Most college (or Superior Studies) courses have doctorates - Professor, Doctor and Master being the three classical degrees, but only the Doctors of Medicine are popularly known as Doctors, or even more popularly, Docs. The Veterinarian being a Doctor in "animal medicine" is also known in many countries as Doctor (or, 'vet doc'). But also Lawyers are often called Doctors, specially if they have the Doctorate Degree, as is the case here in Portugal. This is cause for the neighboring Spanish people to proclaim jokingly that "there are many medical physicians in Portugal: everyone there is a Doctor!"
Added to that, those seeking social status, tag themselves as 'Dr. Smith' (or Silva or Gomes), regardless of their academic achievements, as self-promotion and a way to rise above their peers.
Topic: why 'utilize' when you can simply use?
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 11:37:06 PM
"I will need to utilize the DVD/R tonight!"
Why use 'utilize' when you can simply use 'use'?
I've seen this term used more often lately, as if, like 'comprehend' instead of 'understand', it can make the exact same meaning somehow more intricate or fully set, by using 'harder' or less used - sorry, utilized - words.
I don't like it and it sounds pompous.
It doesn't help to simplify things when teaching English to foreigners. (Alas other languages suffer the same problem: pompous stand-ins that bring in no help at all, at simplifying things (or should I say simplificating?)
Using words like utilize renders simplification attempts, utilization-less!
Topic: Juan Carlos I Becomes King of Spain (1975)
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 8:47:33 PM
Juan Carlos is NOT the reigning king of Spain! His son is.
Update your Current Events, please.
Topic: Oxford Word of the Year for 2016
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 4:59:55 PM
was going to post this, you beat me to it.
here's The Telegraph link:
'Post-truth' named Word of the Year
the English language already had a word for it tho: demagogy - the art and practice of gaining power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
Topic: Meaning of 'hitherto'.
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:14:36 AM
It is used mainly in "formal" english, i.e. legal contracts, etc.
There are a few of these little 'snippets' of formal 'nobody ever uses' english words: hitherto, henceforth, hereby, herewith, etc.
As I said, basicly "legalese" or, 'lawyer-speak'.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.