Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 513
[0.06% of all post / 0.26 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Good - ly
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:03:11 AM
Is this word - goodly - really used? Do you have a set phrase where it would fit?
Topic: ly
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 4:25:56 AM
How do these words read?

comically - [ˈkɒmɪkəlɪ] or [ˈkɒmɪklɪ]

melancholically - [mɛlənˈkɒlɪkəlɪ] or [mɛlənˈkɒlɪklɪ]
Topic: double possessive
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 1:08:21 PM
How would you rephrase it?

This is a bike of my friend’s neighbor’s husband.
Topic: dinner
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:43:14 AM
Thank you, Dave!
If this sentence is correct "I was invited to a dinner given to welcome the new ambassador." then mine should be correct too, I suppose. But will be waiting for more elaborating answers.
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:22:17 AM
Who says?
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 10:12:19 AM
Is this usage of article correct?

They are having a dinner now.

Would it be the right way to say about a special (official event) dinner not a regular one?
Topic: in for
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 8:21:03 AM
It's getting clearer now. Thank you all for your elaborations. As Dragon says:

"I have eaten in the last three days." (would probably be more than once, but maybe not)

Now let's get back to my original question with a minor correction.

I have learnt French in the last 2 months.

I understand that it means that my studies are over now, in other words it gives the idea of a completed action not a series of actions as in "I have eaten in the last three days."

The question is:

Why does "I have eaten in the last three days." convey a series of actions (or one action)
and "I have learnt French in the last 2 months." convey a completed action but not a series of actions? Why should it be undertood as I completed my studies? Why is it not possible to understand this sentence as I made one or a few attempts to learn French but I quit and still don't know it?
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2013 2:52:35 AM
Hello, FounDit.
It's great that you are trying to tackle this issue. What a difficult thing a language is! You can speak it pretty well and be less successful in explaining it well.

I know you did your best but I must point out a few inconsistencies and simply erroneous statements in your posts.

FounDit wrote:
boa:
Usually, when we speak of "living in" as you used it, we mean “in”, as inside, a place, and “for” to indicate the amount of time. We don’t say I live “in” an amount of time, where “live” means exist or the action of experiencing life.

I never said that "in" is used to indicate the amount of time. It's used to indicate that some action happens WITHIN a certain period of time. So your statement is shallow in the least. Check these examples out.

1) “I haven't lived here in over ten years, and what family I have is distant and scattered all over the country."

2) “But you haven't lived here in a long time, have you?

3) “I haven't lived here in a very long time,” Julie said. “Yes, but home is home. These folks respect and trust you.”

Do you find these sentences unidiomatic?

FounDit wrote:

Notice it is the personal “I”. When speaking of others, you can use “in”. “Many people have lived here in ten years.” It doesn’t work for “I”, however.

This one is a real conundrum. How can you explain it?

FounDit wrote:

The word “in” does not imply action at all. It specifies a period of time. “Lived” is the action in the sentence.

Yes, on its own it doesn't, but we have it in a context. It makes all the difference. What about these two? Do you think that they mean exactly the same thing?

Have you lived here for the last 5 years?
Have you lived here in the last 5 years?
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:35:38 AM
Thank you all!
To be honest, I see quite a few contradictions which hinder me to get the whole picture.

1) Thar says that:

You would never under any circumstances say
I lived here in 3 months.

Dragon says:

The equivalent sentence for 'lived' would be: "I have lived here in the last two months."
It is correct, but a little ambiguous (I would not be certain that the person had been living there the whole two months, or just part of it).

2) FounDit says:

I have lived here in 3 months.
This is wrong because you live “in” a place “for” a period of time. You do not live “in” a period of time such as this, as it conveys the idea you no longer live.

Later he says:

"Six families have lived here in ten years" is it also wrong?
This is not wrong. It is the same thing: Six families have lived HERE in (within) a ten year period of time. In a ten year period of time, a series of things happened. Six families lived here.

I don't quite get it why it is wrong with "I" and correct with "Six families".

3) Dragon says: "I have lived here in two months" would be the equivalent of "It has rained in three weeks.". Neither of these means very much.

Well, IMHO these sentence are OK when one wants to say that the action hasn't been lasting for the whole period.

4) One more thing. Does "in" imply only one action in the past or more than one?
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:11:01 AM
Hello Thar,

I see your examples and your point. Not only am I concerned with "live" and "learn" but with the prepositions "in" and "for" as well.

Do you agree with my understanding of the examples with rain?

It has rained for three weeks. (conveys a continuous action of raining which started three weeks ago and has been on until now)
It has rained in the last three weeks. (conveys an action which is not continuous, that is, it can be a once-off occasion which doesn't cover the whole period of the time takes place within the frame of it.)
If you agree then it is not clear to me why you find this one wrong

I have lived here in 3 months. What if we add "off and on"

I have lived here off and on in 3 months.

Apart from that: don't you find it strange that

I have lived here in 3 months. - doesn't work (in your opinion) but
I haven't lived here in 3 months. - works

Plus what about this sentence "Six families have lived here in ten years" is it also wrong?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.