Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,032
[0.13% of all post / 0.63 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: (Ian McEwan) renown novalist's writing
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:04:43 PM
I actually don't know what it is I don't like about it. Perhaps it is just his personal style, and perhaps I was wrong in using the term "bad". It is just ...something I can't lay (:)) my finger on.

Maybe it seems choppy or disjointed in someway, or his word choices. Although, I do like his ending.

Or, perhaps, I have just grown used to the writing of literary giants like Joseph Conrad, Herman Melville, Dickens and George Elliot, for example, in our discussions. An example of this might be what someone posted, not too long ago: an excerpt from Moby Dick about Queequeg as he lay dying. It was very beautiful writing (I thought), and I regret I was too busy to comment about it.

If anyone, who might be reading this, knows which post I am referring to, I would appreciate having it re-posted or given the link to it.

Thank you, everyone, for your posts.
Topic: (Ian McEwan) renown novalist's writing
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:33:51 AM
Good morning everyone.

My inquiry is to the master teachers here on TFD.

I read this morning, an excerpt from an e-mail sent from Ian McEwan, living in Paris this last month, to the Edge Community for discussion; the introduction of which I have copied below.

The reason I am posting this, is because I was suddenly struck with the impression that this wasn't very good writing. I am curious to read what others here think. I don't mean this to be an attack on Ian McEwan's person or writing - just a discussion about "good writing."

"IAN MCEWAN, the award-winning British novelist, is the author of The Child in Time (winner of the Whitbread Novel of the Year Award, 1987), Amsterdam (winner of the Booker Prize, 1998),Atonement, Sweet Tooth, and The Children Act. He lives in London. Ian McEwan's Edge Bio Page.

Reality Club discussion: Scott Atran, Daniel L. Everett, Dan Sperber, James J. O'Donnell

""The death cult chose its city well—Paris, secular capital of the world, as hospitable, diverse and charming a metropolis as was ever devised. And the death cult chose its targets in the city with ghoulish, self-damning accuracy—everything they loathed stood plainly before them on a happy Friday evening: men and women in easy association, wine, free-thinking, laughter, tolerance, music—wild and satirical rock and blues. The cultists came armed with savage nihilism and a hatred that lies beyond our understanding. Their protective armour was the suicide belt, their idea of the ultimate hiding place was the virtuous after-life, where the police cannot go. (The jihadist paradise is turning out to be one of humanity’s worst ever ideas; slash and burn in this life, eternal rest among kitsch in the next)....""

Thank you everyone.
Miriam

Topic: preposition, conjunction, adverb
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:28:04 AM
Thank you, Parser and dragOn. I will study this more later.🌸
P.s. I like the picture:)
Why is 'someplace' incorrect? Why should 'somewhere' be used?
Topic: Was or were ?
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 10:57:24 AM
Thank you, dragOn. This is helpful.🌷
Topic: preposition, conjunction, adverb
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 7:57:22 PM
What are the meanings of theses words:

"preposition , conjunction , adverb "

pre position ~ a word that takes a 'position' before another word?

con junction ~ a word that 'joins' a junction?

* No, NO NO! Now I see! (after my sentence below) it separates a junctions; but it is suppose to bring them together...?*

ad verb ~ an additional verb?

Grammar terms are con fusing(See! this word does not join, but separates) to me.

I feel like I could make sense of grammar meanings at the drop of a hat if I could visualize their meanings as I was saying them, or using them in a sentence.

This post doesn't belong here, so it can be answered someplace else.

I'll just move it now, so I won't disrupt the thread.
Topic: Of all lies, art is the least untrue.
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 10:42:47 AM
I think art is a personal vision of what truth is, expressed through whatever creative medium the artist is working with. However, I don't think that 'truth' can be wholly encompassed by 'one person's vision' - or one person's 'opinion'; but I rather through the individual creative process. The artist, and those who experience the artist's work, enter into the 'experience' - the 'exploration' of what truth is. And if one accomplishes this with 'lies', or perhaps with 'illusion' - or 'a-llussion', as Picasso believes, even in a very romanticized, perfected, idealized way, the 'essence of what one realizes' through the vapor of mists, or the seemingly undecipherable examples of modern art, is what is essential to one's perception of truth - and to one's expanding perception of truth, which is perhaps the artist's most sublime task: to show simply what is there that we do not see, or what is not simplistic, but complex and multi-faceted.
Topic: grammar
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 9:33:10 AM
Thank you, S. Ilker Orsel for your reply. I'll try to remember your clue for remembering.:)

Thank you, pjharvey, for your answer as well. Sentences can be very tricky.

Both of your responses are very much appreciated.

I came back to this thread to make a copy of this information, which both of you, and thar, helped to clarify, and saw that I had not acknowledged your help.

Good wishes to both of you.
Topic: mood music
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 10:07:26 AM
Brothers Keeper~Walter Trout

Say Good-bye to the Blues~Walter Trout

Gonna Live Again~Walter Trout
Topic: Pathos, piety, courage,—they exist, but are identical, and so is filth. Everything exists, nothing has value.
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:38:23 PM
I didn't read Passage to India, but I did see the movie, and I do remember that quality of 'disconnectedness' that Monamagda's post speaks about, which was reflected in the landscapes and in the relationships the characters had with each others.

There was also a feeling of repressed and depressed, constricted and desultory, mindless conversations that are spoken because this is 'what you say', but without any real thought or feeling. that reflected this same

How can one live or be alive without life affecting one's self in a way that illicits a response that comes from some inner part of one's being that quivers with awakening, or a spark that flares up with mutual recognition; let alone live a genuinely 'moral' life, if nothing springs from one's inner being with any kind of authenticity?

Life is not what we think it is -- or what we want it be -- or what we are told it is to be - or should be, or something we train it to be, but something wild and tangled and 'Godless' in a mysterious fecundity that is forever moving and squirming, mingled together in a kind of beauty that is without religion or morality or even rational thought.

The echo of a cave that at first seems empty which one is fearful to step into, reveals what lives in the darkness of ourselves.
In the cave one 'sees' into the depths of one's hidden 'reality' that 'good society' covers with a veil.

Following the link that Monamagda provided, there is reference to women being wrapped up in cocoons; I liked that description.:) The main characters may have been women, but in general, I think it is a good description of people in general.

I think most people live 'generic lives'. One's perception of the world is a surface reflection of an illusion we create in order to live a life of conformity; doing everything that one is suppose to do, in the proper sequence, with all the 'right' people, never straying from the path of a 'good, wholesome, Christian life'. The vacuum that exists because of this, is not the same as a cave; but of a life through which one moves with no 'realness', fluttering upon a desolate terrain like spirits of the dead wear masks of the living.

Topic: Pathos, piety, courage,—they exist, but are identical, and so is filth. Everything exists, nothing has value.
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:32:39 AM
I'm a little perplexed by Forster's quote.
I think it would help to read it in its context.
However, as it is, I think he might be possibly saying that in and of its self, all things exist, but have no value of their own. It is only what we as human beings place on something or someone that gives something value, and which separates something from something else - in terms of value: such as the difference in value of filth in contrast to what is pure. I think this this 'value' that one places on something ultimately reflects the inner 'psyche' of
of the individual. And as a collective whole, we as human beings, or as individual societies, the quality of human existence depends upon the inner workings of human beings.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.