Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 414
[0.05% of all post / 0.20 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "It's more cozy for you."
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:25:25 AM
Hi bihunsedap,

although I am not a native speaker, your sentences do not sound so natural.

In the first one "I was putting the sheet on the pillow", the word sheet is not used for a pillow. One speaks of a bed sheet, but for pillow one would say pillowcase or a pillowslip or just slip.

In this sense, I would rephrase your sentence as "I was pulling the pillowcase on the pillow".

As to the question, it is not grammatical as it is, unless you did it deliberately to indicate that your son is still small and cannot speak correctly. Otherwise I would rephrase it at least as "Why putting on the pillowcase?"

The part in bold "It's more cozy for you." sounds fine, although I would have used cozier, but I guess more cozy is fine too according to NGram....Think Think

Hope it helps
AE

"Search as if you are going to find, and find as if you have still to search....." (St. Augustine)
Topic: They are building basketball court/field
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:29:37 AM
Hi bihunsedap

As to the first sentence, I would say "there is a big field in the park.

For the second, the word is court.

The word field, as it is used in your first sentence, means a wide, open and level expanse (extent, surface) of land. The field is also the area where athletics takes place or where one of the two baseball teams plays.

The word court is more precise. It is the area where some sports are played. In this sense, a court is marked with all the appropriate lines that define the different zones.

A tennis, basketball, handball court for example.

Paid attention that the word court cannot be use for every sport. For instance one refers to a golf course, a football pitch, a baseball diamond (but also field).

Hope it helps.
AndEng

"Search as if you are going to find, and find as if you have still to search....." (St. Augustine)
Topic: driving down the street
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:54:59 AM
Hi azz,

also these sentences are somehow wrong as they are confusing, because, while the subject of the first part is clear, the -ing form (a participle) in the second part is somehow dangling, that is, it is not so clear which noun of the first part it modifies.

In this sense, adding a comma does not help to clarify the meaning.

The sentence 1,2,5 and 6 are very confusing, as it seems that Tom kissed her while he was wearing her wedding dress....d'oh! which would sound as being part of a sitcom
or that you talked to her while you were putting on her clothes....again the sitcom.

The sentences 3 and 4 are correct but the meaning is that you tripped him up as you were walking through the door.

I recommend that you read the article about Participles

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Participles.htm

In particular, go to the section called "As an object complement" and the subsection "Common mistakes". I am sure this will shed light on your questions.

Hope that helps.

AndEng

Topic: sea-god timbres in the blue of Noah’s cry
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:57:37 AM
Hello vkhu

I cannot say anything better than what Drag0n has already said.
I only add that blue means sadness in this context, I guess.

Have a look at https://www.freethesaurus.com/blue
I knew it as an adjective but in this case is a noun which means melancholy unhappiness...

Its use with this meaning, as an adjective above all, is not rare at all, although sad is more common of course.

Hope it helps.

Topic: disclaiming
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 9:10:43 AM
I agree with you vkhu
Both apologetic and "were nor disclaiming enough" seem to not fit with what one would expect, that is more similar to what Jyrkkä Jätkä says.

More context would help maybe....

What I may imagine the author would like to express is that the two men's posture showed neither sympathy nor any sorrow or regret for their lack of sympathy.

Topic: He has a reach beyond which his antecedents would have only dreamed
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 8:50:50 AM
Hello maltliquor87,

the way you rephrased the sentence is awkward and (I would say) is not correct. Besides, the two versions do not have the same meaning.

I believe the problem lies in the meaning of the word "reach" and the way you read the "beyond which", you do not have to separate them.

The sentence

"He has a reach beyond which his antecedents would have only dreamed"

can be rephrased, by making the meaning of reach more explicit

- He has a comprehension (of something ... the situation, the problem, ) beyond which his antecedents would have only dreamed

or

- He has a range of influence beyond which his antecedents would have only dreamed

In other words, his comprehension of the situation or his influence, his power is so wide that his predecessors could have never imagined to have.

I hope that helps a bit.

Topic: Grammar
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:25:03 AM
Hi FounDit

I don't quite understand the function of "unaware" in the sentence that you amended. Who is unaware? The boys? The uncle has done that deliberately in order to see them die. Am I right?
Maybe I don't understand the meaning of "unaware that" in this case.
Could you please clarify it?

Thanks so much in advance.

AndEng

Topic: Prison rape slang
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:02:04 AM
Hello,

I guess that it may be "....after I woke your ass".

What a treatment!!! Anxious

Topic: meaning of rip off
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:11:29 AM
Hi David,

in this case you have to concentrate on the verb to rip, not on the phrasal verb rip off.

One of the meaning of "to rip" is "to tear" i.e., according to TFD, to pull apart.
The preposition off is not part of the verb, but is used only because the wig is on his head.

It is the same for instance in this sentence:

I fell off the bike.

You fall off the bike because you are on it.

Hope this helps.

Of course the verb to rip means that, when you grab the wig and pull it off someone's head, it would not or it should not come off easily, as it should be "glued" somehow to the bald head . So your pulling it off the head would tear it apart.

Topic: He talks as if he is/were rich.
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:00:40 AM
Hi Koh Elaine,

no, they do not have the same meaning and actually the first sentence is wrong.
With "as if" or "as though" you always use the "simple past".

He talks as if he were rich.

In a conversation you can also say "he talks as if he was rich", but the correct form of the verb is "were".

More precisely, the form of the verb "to be" "he/she/it were" is not exactly the simple past. It is a past subjunctive of the verb to be in fact.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.