Deserts
are not to be
mistaken for desserts,
or, as the British like to say,
"afters".
Topic: dozenal thinking
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 11:33:40 AM
Hi, all!

If you wanted to estimate the number of items in a group, after taking a glance at them:

* When there are about 10-12 items, would you say 10 or a dozen? (or even 12?) What number comes first to your mind, 10 or 12?
* When there are 5-6 items, would you rather say 5 or half a dozen? (or 6?)
* When you want to overstate a number – would you say 10 or a dozen? ("You've already eaten 10 / a dozen cookies" when that person only had 3 or 4)

Seems to me like 10 or 5 would be much simpler – only 1 syllable and more straightforward!

I understand the duodecimal system, its origins and its advantages (more factors). I know that some people would like the entire world to switch to the dozenal system because it's more natural, it makes more sense and it's easier to use. I wonder if it's not already too late for this. Some teach their kids how to say the time of day, the date, the year and other things in the dozenal system. (And by the way, apparently "2016 is the beginning of a new century - if you count in twelves. If you do that then the year 2016 becomes the year 1200".) I find all this fascinating. But I wanna understand why it is used so naturally by many in a world where the decimal system currently prevails.

Is it used mostly for tangible objects? Haven't really heard: a dozen years, months… or a dozen inches. Definitely not for money (decimal currency).

What about with "times"? I've told you a dozen times? 10/12 times?

For large quantities – would you say "dozens of" or "tens of"? Dozens would come more naturally to native speakers, I think. Isn't that harder to multiply? I mean, if you say tens – you have 20 or 30 or 40 or x0. With dozens, it means you have 24 or 36 or 48 or… Think I realize it doesn’t have to be this precise (even with tens you could be talking about 35, let's say). And I know that "dozen" or "dozens of something" can informally mean "a lot of something".

Someone said here: "In English, one would normally say "dozens of" rather than "tens of", so there is some overlap. I might use "dozens of" for an amount between 36 (a dozen, two dozen, dozens...) and 132 (a dozen less than a gross), "scores of" for a number between 40 and 199, and "hundreds of" for values greater than that. I don't think I've ever thought about the reasoning behind this; it would really depend on which number sounded better in the areas which overlap."

To those of you who use "dozen", is it because that's the way you were taught or the way you've always heard it?

Is this mostly an American thing or far from it?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that many things are sold by the dozen (and they're cheaper that way Whistle)? (eggs, doughnuts…)

Or do you simply feel it sounds better?

Doesn't it clash in your brain with the fact that virtually everything else is in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands…?

Of course, you don't have to answer all of these questions! About 10 or 12 of them will do :P

Thanks!

extra fun stuff:

A baker's half dozen is 7 and half a baker's dozen is 6.5.

"A dozen, a gross, and a score,
plus three times the square root of four,
divided by seven,
plus five times eleven,
is nine squared and not a bit more."
---Jon Saxton (math textbook author)

The dozenal clock (I really, really like it):

this is also cool:
“Little Twelve Toes” from Schoolhouse Rock

and a seasonal one:
Straight No Chaser - The 12 Days of Christmas

Topic: Do you have a Yule Or Christmas Tree? How Do You Decorate It?
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:25:00 PM
Topic: Cinquain
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 2:48:14 PM
Birthday,
thank god you're gone!
my phone has stopped ringing.
three hundred and sixty-four days
of peace.
Topic: Haiku Fun
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 2:30:55 PM
"And that might do harm." -
the unhypocritical
Hippocratic oath.
Topic: ------------ without their realizing his identity.
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 12:47:49 PM
sb70012 wrote:
But I think without having more (enough) context, option B can also make sense because maybe the local pushers want to betray the drug dealer's ring.

Maybe they do, but in that case they would know that they joined forces with an undercover agent (so they would be aware of his identity). Only the big drug dealer would be left in the dark… or so they'd think… until the next plot twist ;)
Topic: when i look ON your eyes?
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:48:55 AM
Thank you all!

Donthailand - Yes, those are the 2 most common by far. I also found "up in your eyes" (which would match the "u* in" heard by Drag0n) on a few Italian sites. I'm sure there are other versions too.

Good find, Eoin Riedy. Yup, I see "on in" too. Very interesting. Both words are on the same musical note - the one I hear as a dragged out "oooon". I'm not sure why you say 1 syllable wouldn't fit the rhythm, Drag0n. (I didn't ignore you saying that in your first post, btw, I just didn't get it so I didn't mention it :P).

The video has nothing to do with the song actually.

Quote:
At that time, Pellington (the director of the video) was also struggling with his father’s descent into Alzheimer’s. Having recently seen “28 Up,” British director Michael Apted’s then-current update on the “7 Up” series, Pellington decided to try something similar with “ ’74-’75.” The only reason songwriter Mike Connell had picked the numbers 74 and 75 was that they sang well within the song’s meter. But Pellington took the title literally, portraying the class of 1974-75 over time. (from http://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/on-the-beat-blog/article44760318.html)

But the song&video work great together, in my opinion. I grew up watching all those faces and that's why, to me (and other people from my generation), seeing the update was incredible. Very emotional to see where those people are now. I've even read about them here and watched one of them giving a ted talk (he's a comedian suffering with depression). This is also how I found out about the "7 Up" series. I assumed *everyone* knew this song&video – my bad! (Well, now you know it too, Drag0n, having listened to it 3 times Whistle)

Eoin Riedy wrote:
My impression is that he is using "look on" to mean "continue to look", either in the sense of "I just keep looking on into your eyes" or "As I look on about the world imagining I'm using your eyes to see things".

The first one would make sense to me. Thanks again!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.