User Name: Verbatim
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,827
[0.23% of all post / 1.12 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Faith is believing what you know ain't so.
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:42:53 PM
Daemon wrote:
Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Indeed, what you know may not be so.
Topic: have (someone's) number on it
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:08:56 PM
Daemon wrote:
have (someone's) number on it

To be considered the agent or instrument of one's fate, especially leading to death. More...

Not unless someone's number is up.
Topic: I hold every man a debtor to his profession; from the which as men of course do seek to receive countenance and profit, so...
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:44:39 PM
Daemon wrote:
I hold every man a debtor to his profession; from the which as men of course do seek to receive countenance and profit, so ought they of duty to endeavor themselves, by way of amends, to be a help and ornament thereunto.

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Be so true to thyself as thou be not false to others. Francis Bacon (1561-1626) Only the other day.

That's where the difficulty is, in the order of precedence. We live up to the first part of the precept,
at best, after having failed the test of the second part.

Topic: Faustian bargain
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 8:55:55 PM
What's sacrificed in the Faustian bargain is bad enough, but wait until counting what comes into the bargain.
Topic: I'll be hanged if I do (something)
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:46:55 PM
Hang it all! Hanging by a thread but I'll be hanged before changing where I hang my hat!
Topic: A soul that is kind and intends justice discovers more than any sophist.
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 7:08:28 PM
Daemon wrote:
A soul that is kind and intends justice discovers more than any sophist.

Sophocles (496 BC-406 BC)

That's because any sophist is not interested to discover, only to speculate.
Topic: Reasons to Vote for Democrats
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 4:18:31 PM
FounDit wrote:
I thought some balance was in order considering most of the posts in the politics section...and I love a good laugh.

Reasons to Vote for Democrats

It appears from Mediaproject Wesleyan 2016-election-study-published March 6, 2017 (accepts Google search)
that some reasons to the contrary have also been present in the recent presidential election.

"The article published in The Forum: A Journal of Applied Research in Contemporary Politics (open access through mid-April 2017) shows that the presidential race featured far less advertising than the previous cycle, a huge imbalance in the number of ads across candidates, and one candidate who almost ignored discussions of policy."
Topic: There lies at the back of every creed something terrible and hard for which the worshiper may one day be required to suffer.
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 3:42:33 PM
Daemon wrote:
There lies at the back of every creed something terrible and hard for which the worshiper may one day be required to suffer.

E. M. Forster (1879-1970)

That is the part, at the back, which usually is obscured, but the creed may come with a telling price.

Those of us, moderately or desperately, wanting “to belong”, had better looked upfront at what must be given up, before the joy of belonging is shared… with the sorrows and suffering.
Topic: hit the big time
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2017 2:10:18 PM
Daemon wrote:
hit the big time

To become very famous or successful. More...

The 'small-time' hunger to 'hit the big time', sometime have an 'easy time', or 'fall on hard time(s)'.
Topic: Habit, n.: A shackle for the free.
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 5:55:44 PM
Daemon wrote:
Habit, n.: A shackle for the free.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

Not so the bad habits, they turn the 'free' loose upon themselves.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.