User Name: Verbatim
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,137
[0.22% of all post / 0.83 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The distinction between freedom and liberty is not accurately known; naturalists have never been able to find a living...
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:49:54 PM
Daemon wrote:
The distinction between freedom and liberty is not accurately known; naturalists have never been able to find a living specimen of either.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

There is no distinction. The living specimen of both is usually eradicated right after
we elect our politicians.
Topic: It is well known that Beauty does not look with a good grace on the timid advances of Humor.
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:37:26 AM
Daemon wrote:
It is well known that Beauty does not look with a good grace on the timid advances of Humor.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)

"Cakes and Ale" narrated by William Ashenden, the part where his musings help pass the time
to let Maugham's sarcasm pass judgement.
Topic: Observation is an old man's memory.
Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2019 3:57:26 PM
Daemon wrote:
Observation is an old man's memory.

Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)

From "Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting" October, 1706, find it here on page 307 :
https://books.google.ca/books?id=1p5DAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA307&lpg=PA307&dq=Observation+is+an+old+man%27s+memory.&source=bl&ots=nqczFl0Snm&sig=ACfU3U2AWEKb8GV57Cm0Qa67mL43HujpAw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjXiIe2qojlAhUHr54KHcpZCM84FBDoATAOegQIBxAB#v=onepage&q=Observation%20is%20an%20old%20man's%20memory.&f=false

There is no specific context, one must make what one best observes out of it.
Perhaps Swift was saying that old man hold their observation in their memory. Or, maybe that
observation is lost for the present--only in their memory.
Probably, that observation is an old man's memory.Brick wall
Topic: Influence, n.: In politics, a visionary quo given in exchange for a substantial quid.
Posted: Friday, October 4, 2019 1:12:40 AM
Daemon wrote:
Influence, n.: In politics, a visionary quo given in exchange for a substantial quid.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

Chew on that....quid, might get a vision of the quo.
Topic: Don't let us rejoice in punishment, even when the hand of God alone inflicts it. The best of us are but poor wretches, just...
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 5:25:46 PM
Daemon wrote:
Don't let us rejoice in punishment, even when the hand of God alone inflicts it. The best of us are but poor wretches, just saved from shipwreck: can we feel anything but awe and pity when we see a fellow-passenger swallowed by the waves?

George Eliot (1819-1880)

Karma is nothing to celebrate
It may upon yourself visitate.
Topic: I believe, my dears, that I am the proudest story-teller that ever lived...To have pleased you, to have interested you, to...
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 3:23:18 PM
Daemon wrote:
I believe, my dears, that I am the proudest story-teller that ever lived...To have pleased you, to have interested you, to have won your friendship, and perhaps your love, through my stories, is to my mind as great an achievement as to become President of the United States.

L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)

Baum sells himself short, not by a long shot.
Topic: Virginia Woolf made me do it...
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 1:53:26 AM
"When a subject is highly controversial...one cannot hope to tell the truth."
See today's Quote of the Day.

The subject is of political nature thus, against my best judgement belongs here, but I'd rather
approach it from a language perspective.
What makes us interpret, read into something said or written at least two categorically opposed versions of the truth? Oops! here comes the philosophical perspective claiming to be addressed.

I am talking about the latest episode of what I call the "comedy of being right" stirred by the controversy over the telephone conversation of two presidents, as viewed by the media and the political foes.

If you look at The Memorandum of Telephone Conversation, find it here https://www.local10.com/news/read-transcript-of-call-between-trump-and-ukraine-president
Note the paragraphs of each president's turn in the conversation and count down for the context, starting with the opening statement from The President to which I assigned para#1.

In para #4 Zelenskyy said "we wanted to drain the swamp here in our country."
To this Trump launched in para #5 the tirade about the European countries doing less for Ukraine
than the US is doing.
Zelenskyy agrees and goes on to thank Trump for the United States' support especially in the area of sanctions against the Russian Federation and that of defense.(para#6)

In para#7 Trump is asking for the favor: "because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it. I would like you to find out what happened with this whole situation with Ukraine, they say Crowdstrike...I guess you have one of your wealthy people...The server, they say Ukraine has it. There are a lot of things that went on, the whole situation. I think you're surrounding yourself with some of the same people. I would like to have the Attorney General call you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of it." Then he mentioned "as you saw yesterday, that whole nonsense ended with a very poor performance by a man named Robert Mueller, an incompetent performance, but they say a lot of it started with Ukraine. Whatever you can do, it's very important that you do it if that's possible."
There is nothing said about Biden's son or Joe Biden, but this is the context for asking for the favor. And I can't recall any reporting that questioned or explained the sense of this paragraph such as: the whole situation with Ukraine, they say Crowdstrike, one of your wealthy people... The server, they say Ukraine has it. What does it all mean?

They go on, Zelenskyy lambasting Ukraine's ambassador just recalled from the US. He is the one first mentioning Giuliani in para#8 in the context of improving the two countries relations etc.
Zelenskyy ends his little speech in this paragraph: "I also plan to surround myself with great people and in addition to that investigation, I guarantee as the President of Ukraine that all the investigations will be done openly and candidly. That I can assure you."

Trump picked up on that and in this context he brings up the removal of a good Ukranian prosecutor and the bad people involved in that from the previous Ukranian administration. In para#9 he goes on
"The former ambassador from the United States, the woman, was bad news and the people she was dealing with in the Ukraine were bad news so I just want to let you know that."
(My underline of "from", which could be actually "to", perhaps a mistake in the Memorandum.)
Then comes: "The other thing", (my clumsy underline gone too far) "there is a lot of talk about Biden's son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great. Biden went around braging that he stopped the prosecution, so if you can look into it...It sounds horrible to me".

Finally Biden's son, not Biden, first comes up, this once, suggesting that Trump asked his counterpart to look into Biden "having stopped" a Ukranian prosecution. And why "the other thing", as if by the way of the previous administration of Ukraine and the bad people?

Between quotation marks and hopefully in Italics, my typed passages quoted from the Memorandum, can be checked out by anyone who gives a hoot and compared with the wordings of the reports and claims in the media. Ah, what the heck! Here is a quote from CNN's report published by the same web site
as the one I linked to for the Memorandum: "The anticipation ahead of Maguire's testimony was also amplified by the White House's decision [u]to release a transcript of Trump's July 25 phone call with the leader of Ukraine that shows the President repeatedly pressed his counterpart to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son."
My emphasis and underline. You be the judge.

Poor Virginia ought to rest assured that we are still at it, can't tell the truth. We look at the same facts and come up with diametrically opposed conclusions. What a waste of the English language! A few edits later perhaps I abused it as well. But what a rant!Think

Topic: When a subject is highly controversial...one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever...
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2019 3:40:15 PM
Daemon wrote:
When a subject is highly controversial...one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the prejudices, the idiosyncrasies of the speaker.

Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)

What makes the subject highly controversial, to begin with, is the set of limitations, prejudices,
idiosyncrasies, and above all their influence upon one's good faith in viewing the subject.
Topic: Churchmen in peace and quiet pray to Heaven for the welfare of the world, but we soldiers and knights carry into effect what...
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 7:45:56 PM
Daemon wrote:
Churchmen in peace and quiet pray to Heaven for the welfare of the world, but we soldiers and knights carry into effect what they pray for...Thus are we God's ministers on earth and the arms by which his justice is done therein.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

To believe that is, of course, Quixotesque--just as tilting at the windmill is.
Topic: Virtue is like a rich stone,—best plain set.
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 10:00:57 PM
Daemon wrote:
Virtue is like a rich stone,—best plain set.

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Virtue has no preference for its setting, no need to be set off, but has its own set.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.