User Name: TheParser
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,295
[0.52% of all post / 2.43 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Diplomacy, n.: The patriotic art of lying for one's country.
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 6:42:27 AM
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:

Those are not diplomats but spies disguised as ones.

Good point!
Topic: Diplomacy, n.: The patriotic art of lying for one's country.
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:19:16 AM
If you are a very sensitive person, do NOT read further.

I have lost the quotation, but I remember once reading that some diplomats (only in the bad old days?) felt it their patriotic duty to occasionally lie ( = sleep) with certain people in order to get valuable information for their governments.
Topic: jolly (someone) along
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 8:30:00 AM
They say that the most successful presidents are those who know how to jolly members of Congress along.

Fair-minded people agree that the current president of the United States (and the president before him) does NOT know how to jolly people along.

They say that President Lyndon Johnson (who became president after John F. Kennedy) had this ability, especially when he was a United States Senator.

Senator Johnson was (in)famous for how he jollied other Senators along. He would hug them (very tightly) and tell them why they wanted to support his ideas.

He really knew how to twist arms -- in a nice way, of course!

Topic: opposite of "tone down" your critism
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 8:14:37 AM

NOT A TEACHER

"Her anger has caused her to ramp up (intensify) her criticism."
Topic: ONLY for fair-minded members and guests
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 7:54:16 AM

Thank you, Almo, very much for the link.

Since linking is beyond the ability of your humble servant, I depend on kind people like you for help.

It was such a pleasure (and surprise) reading a reasonable article by a fair-minded liberal, so I wanted to share it with any fair-minded members/guests.

Thanks to you, they can now read the entire article for themselves.

(Although the LRB is proudly liberal, most of the writers are very civil. It is the only liberal publication that I read. It is truly a feast of ideas.)

Thanks again.
Topic: ONLY for fair-minded members and guests
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 8:35:56 AM
Dear FAIR-MINDED Readers:

I know that some of you worry about President Trump's policies (and words).

I know some of you hope that the Democrats can take back the Congress in 2018 and the White House in 2020.

Well, I have just read an intelligent article by David Bromwich.

He is a professor at Yale, a famous American university.

He is a fair-minded liberal.

Like you, he is disgusted by the anti-Trump bias of the American media.

Like you, he is disgusted by the vulgar attacks on President Trump by so-called "celebrities."

He has some suggestions for Democrats:

1. He believes that Democrats (and their supporters) should "give up any hope of sound advice or renewal from Bill or Hillary Clinton or Barak Obama. They were pleasant to think about, but their policies have turned out wrong, and there's nothing they can do for us now."

2. He ends with this thoughtful paragraph: "Trump is the name of a cause and not just a person, and you can only fight him with another cause. The name of it might be climate change."

You can read his article "The Age of Detesting Trump" in the July 13, 2017, issue of the very liberal British publication London Review of Books.

In the same issue, there's an article that describes the shock of many people at the success of the Labour party in recent British elections. The author says that the Labour party won the votes of many younger people because the party had a cause, i.e., maybe some of the economic and social policies of the past were not so bad as many "experts" say.
Topic: Johnny One-Note
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 7:35:49 AM
Mona: I want to know what people think about the president of Jupiter. Who(m) should I ask? I wish to know the opinions of intelligent, rational people.

Raul: Well, then, I suggest that you ask Betty, Joe, Melinda, and Ralph.

Mona: What about George?

Raul: Absolutely not!

Mona: Why not?

Raul: He will only scream that the president of Jupiter is a racist, sexist, Fascist, etc. George is not the intelligent, rational kind of person who(m) you are seeking.

Mona: I had better keep away from him. He seems to be a Johnny One-Note, doesn't he!
Topic: Be wrongly treated, the dog got seriously sick.
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:34:10 AM
Josh Lee wrote:
Sir

NOT A TEACHER

Hello!

Just a gentle reminder: It would probably be a good idea NOT to start your post with "Sir." This will upset many members.

In this forum, most posters simply start their question with NO salutation (such as "Sir" or "Madam.").

Have a nice day!

Topic: keep the lid on (something)
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:34:16 AM
In the city of San Francisco in the American state of California, many people use trains to travel from San Francisco to nearby communities.

Throughout the years, there have been violent incidents in which individuals have robbed or hurt passengers.

The train cars (carriages) have video cameras.

Some TV stations want to show the videos of these incidents.

The officials of the train company refuse to let people see the videos.

Why?

The officials are very honest. The officials say that they want to keep the lid on any possible "racial animosity."
Topic: jaw away
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 7:10:45 AM
Before the Internet, ordinary people could express their opinions only in the newspaper, which would often not publish their letters.

Nowadays we ordinary people have Internet forums in which to jaw away.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.