Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,484
[0.53% of all post / 2.45 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: My political opinion of the day
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:00:24 AM
Tovarish wrote:

So plain people should not aspire to being a candidate for the Democrats???

Good morning, Tovarish:

Your question is a great lesson for learners.

A word can be interpreted in many ways.

I was using the word "attractive" in the sense of a person who attracts followers because of his demeanor, words, and policies. (He could be as physically ugly as I.)

As a native speaker, you -- of course --- knew that fact, but you wanted me to bring that fact to the attention of advanced learners.

I have noticed through the years that you are very clever: you know how to make a point in a nice manner.

We need more posters like you.

Have a great day!

Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:27:31 AM
No. 6

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

1. A website that reported "neo-Nazi" and "White supremacist" points of view has been closed down.

2. The American government did NOT close it down.

3. Some executives at some Internet search engines decided that the website was posting "hate speech," so they decided to remove it from the World Wide Web.

4. Many people are delighted by this decision. They are calling for the closure of more websites that post what they consider to be "hate speech."

a. I have heard that some people would like to close down those websites that deny the Holocaust, for example.

5. A few thoughtful Americans (including a few genuine liberals) find this development very dangerous.

6. I agree with them.

7. In my OPINION, all websites of any opinion should be allowed on the World Wide Web.

a. Only Congress or the Supreme Court should have the authority to remove a website from the Web if it is deemed dangerous to the welfare of the nation.
Topic: My TIDBIT of the day
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:05:27 AM
Thanks, Coag and Y111, for your humorous contributions.

Being a plebeian, I have never, ever thought about eating caviar.

In fact, the idea of eating fish eggs sounds disgusting to me.

Topic: cosmopolitan
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 8:38:27 AM
The city of Shanghai has long been considered the most cosmopolitan city in China.

In the 1920s and 1930s, many young Chinese flocked to Shanghai because it contained areas ("concessions") that were ruled by foreign countries.

In those foreign concessions, young Chinese were free to learn about and enjoy the latest trends from Europe and the United States.

Topic: Go bad
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 8:10:45 AM
arshiaazadi wrote:

What does "To go off on someone." mean?

NOT A TEACHER

Mona: I like our teacher.

Raul: What?! How can you say that?! He is the rudest person that I have ever known! Furthermore, he doesn't know his subject well! Don't you ever again tell me that you like him! Do you understand?!

Mona: Oh my God, Raul. What's your problem? Why did you go off on me like that?

Raul: I'm sorry, Mona. But I haven't been getting much sleep lately, so I'm very nervous and need to calm down.

Topic: than is needed
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 7:59:45 AM
robjen wrote:

(ex) He said,"You shouldn't jot down more notes than is needed."

NOT A TEACHER

I believe that the complete sentence (for analysis) is:

"You shouldn't jot down more notes than [those that] are needed." (It is more natural in conversation to delete the two words in the brackets, but you might consider using them in formal writing.)
Topic: correct word order
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 7:49:58 AM
robjen wrote:

(2a) I want to drawing a rabbit on the wall, using a green pen.
(2b) I want to drawing a rabbit using a green pen on the wall.

NOT A TEACHER

Someone will shortly (soon) answer you.

I ONLY wanted to point out one serious mistake.

You should say/write: "I want to draw a rabbit."
Topic: My ANECDOTE of the day
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 7:36:49 AM
Thank you, Ursus Minor, for that entertaining anecdote.

Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 5:01:01 AM
No. 5

(American football is not the same sport that is called "football" In other countries.)

Before a professional American football game begins, all the spectators and players stand up when the band plays our national anthem.

Recently, a growing number of professional football players have refused to stand up.

Instead, they are kneeling.

They say that they are protesting alleged "racial inequality" in the United States of America.

A few days ago, President Trump said that such behavior on the part of those players was extremely disrespectful of their country.

In My OPINION, the President was right.

In my OPINION, those players could be more constructive if they spent their time encouraging their young fans to study hard at school and to behave themselves in their communities.

Topic: My ANECDOTE of the day
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 4:50:37 AM
Thank you, Almo, for the link.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.